« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Warranty Claim; Recommended JLR Bodyshop Surrey / Sussex
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
whizkid2310

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red
Warranty Claim; Recommended JLR Bodyshop Surrey / Sussex

Hi - I'm new to the site and hoping someone can help. On carrying out the pre winter wax and seal on my wife's Freelander yesterday I noticed to my horror that there is no paint remaining on the bottom edge of the tailgate having been rubbing with the black protective strip on top of the bumper.

It seems that the slight line that has formed on the protective strip over the 18 months of the car's life wasn't as I originally thought due to dirt washing / being blown down the back of the car at speed, but rather due to the bumper and tailgate coming into contact with each other. When stationary there is a 5mm gap between the two, but I guess on the move, both flex / resonate and rub.

Looking on the positive side I don't seem to have the problem with the tailgate handle strip rubbing the tailgate though Very Happy

Obviously this will need to be a warranty job so I can't use the independent I usually use for my other cars. My question is does anyone know a GOOD Land Rover approved body shop in the Surrey / Sussex area that comes highly recommended? I am VERY particular and based on personal experience and a few other threads on the site I have absolutely no trust in Harwoods body shop who would be my local one.

The two I am thinking of looking at are Sandown Coachworks in Shepperton or Fast Lane in Ascot both who repair for prestige dealers in / around London, the thinking being if people spend £60k+ on their Range Rover they might have some concern over the quality of the job. They also seem to have picked up some awards.

My other question is whether I will be able to take the car straight to the body shop to inspect for a warranty claim (as with BMW) or whether it needs to go to a dealer first.

Any recommendations greatly received.

Post #280021 1st Nov 2015 9:50 am
V40TC

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

dealer first and most likely their recommended repairer if they agree to cover it.

Post #280385 4th Nov 2015 10:49 pm
whizkid2310

So I ended up sending the vehicle to Fastlane in Ascot (Conrico's) repair agent. Excelent service from Alex and the team with the tailgate re-sprayed to factory standard and bump stops adjusted. Very Happy

However first wash since the vehicle was returned 5 weeks ago and the tailgate has been rubbing and has removed the paint again.

Back to Fastlane Crying or Very sad

Has anyone else had issues with the tailgate rubbing the bumper top? I am wondering whether the latch also needed adjusting. I think the rubbing occurs when the tailgate is slammed shut (6+ times a day on the school runs).

At least Fastlane have a lifetime guarantee on repairs.

Post #294666 25th Mar 2016 10:07 pm
whizkid2310

So I ended up sending the vehicle to Fastlane in Ascot (Conrico's) repair agent. Excelent service from Alex and the team with the tailgate re-sprayed to factory standard and bump stops adjusted. Very Happy

However first wash since the vehicle was returned 5 weeks ago and the tailgate has been rubbing and has removed the paint again.

Back to Fastlane Crying or Very sad

Has anyone else had issues with the tailgate rubbing the bumper top? I am wondering whether the latch also needed adjusting. I think the rubbing occurs when the tailgate is slammed shut (6+ times a day on the school runs).

At least Fastlane have a lifetime guarantee on repairs.

Post #294667 25th Mar 2016 10:08 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Has the car ever been bumped up the rear or reversed into something and thats moved or distorted the bumper carrier/brackets? The plastic bumpers can hide a good deal of damage behind them without showing any outside fault other than catching on other parts as you have??
My hatch clears the bumper by a good bit, no chance of rubbing.

Post #294672 25th Mar 2016 10:36 pm
whizkid2310

No, not a mark on the rear bumper and I would definitely notice as I'm slightly OCD with my cars.

When the tailgate is shut, there seems to be plenty of clearance - I recon 5-8mm, hence I think the issue may be when it slams shut.

Hopefully the guys at Fastlane will find the issue. I've dropped Alex an email so will speak with him tomorrow.

Post #294675 25th Mar 2016 11:03 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Had the same problem, left the car with the LR dealer & it was all sorted all without any issues. They repainted the rear door. I had a similar thing happen on my previous car!

Quote from my complaint: 'The rear door is rubbing against the black trim which is removing the paint from the bottom edge of the rear door which will end up rusting. There is residue rub off on the black plastic.'

I also thought it was dust & dirt collecting & just dusted it away with a dustpan brush I keep in the car. It was only when I opened the rear door one day & I happened to accidentally feel an irregular surface that I noticed there was a problem.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #294688 26th Mar 2016 3:59 am
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

I had this issue, the dealer sent me to the approved body shop...

Turned out the bumper had been hit but had left no marks. He pointed out the gap under the rear lights, on one side there was no gap and on the other about 8-10mm. They took the bumper off and put the clips back in.

I then used a stone chip pen to repair the damage. Thumbs Up 

Post #294747 26th Mar 2016 7:44 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

On my car the black plastic rear bumper tread plate was loose & sticking up enough that it rubbed the bottom of the rear door. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #294775 27th Mar 2016 6:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1