Home > In Car Electronics > Smoking Cigarrete lighter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Culagh

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand
Smoking Cigarrete lighter

Hi,

I'm new to this forum having recently bought a 2012 Flreelander GS, which I'm loving. I just wanted a bit information regarding the front cigarette lighter. In my old car I had this Griffin Twin Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Charger Adapter plugged in to charge a small tablet but when I plugged it into the freelander, smoke started to flow from the socket. The Griffin specs are as follows:

Input V 12v
Output V 5v
Max. Output Current 1A
Max. Output Power 5W

As I know almost zero about Car electrics could some one explain why this is happening.

Thanks

Post #281175 14th Nov 2015 5:14 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

It may be a fault on your cigarette power socket - have you tried any other devices in it? No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #281187 14th Nov 2015 6:05 pm
Culagh

No I haven't as I am very wary of doing some damage (if not ready done so). Trouble is I was planning on using that socket to power my Tablet in the event I mounted it as a navigator. Thing is the griffin plug doesn't seem affected !, but it smells.

Post #281214 14th Nov 2015 8:03 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Well if it was smoking that means something is getting seriously hot from a probable electrical fault.
To diagnose go from the known to the unknown first - you say the accessory was working fine before in another car, the new unknown factor is the socket on the Freely so I'd start there - hence my suggestion to try another device and see what happens if there is a fault in the socket it should do the same and you will know it is the source of the problem. Alternatively if you are not keen to do that - you will need to dismantle the socket and visually check the connections - if there was smoke it came from somewhere and should have left evidence of burning/melting. You will also need to check the wiring for resistance and voltage using a multi-meter.
If you are not comfortable doing that take the car to an auto electrician for testing or return it to the supplier as faulty
If you are certain it is the "Griffin" unit - bin it and get on with enjoying your car
HTH No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #281220 14th Nov 2015 8:57 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Rather like someone I saw on Facebook Giveing it "Rockall" about the £1 apple I -phone charger from a pound type shop , then complaining about the burnt socket and damaged £600 I-Phone and going to tradeing standards.about poor quality .
pays your money takes your choice ....

If you do not no how to fault find correctly, put your hand in your pocket and PAY for someone that does ,
£20-40 upfrount cheaper than a new pad or electrical fire in the freelander .... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #281261 15th Nov 2015 1:23 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

If the socket had a fault that caused it to smoke I would have thought a fuse would have blown, the fact it didnt and there was smoke would suggest the fault is in the accessory plugged into it, and as said theres lots of cheap substandard foreign junk out there?

Post #281263 15th Nov 2015 2:05 pm
Culagh

It was the Griffin Twin Port USB. Although it looked intact it smelt and so I cracked it open and revealed the contents were burnt. Regarding Mudslingers reply, I had used this constantly in my previous car and it worked flawlessly so having tried to install it on the freelander I was surprised to see it go up in smoke. As for paying for someone to do it, then we would never learn anything, that is why I included the specs for the Griffin as I was hoping someone would tell me the rating for the Freelander Cigarette lighter.

Post #281275 15th Nov 2015 3:59 pm
Dave51

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey

The socket is rated to 15 amps, well over the 1 amp rating of the usb.
Unless the previous car was very old it will also have been 12 v negative earth like the Freelander, so polarity should not be an issue. Unless a fault suddenly developed in the unit between cars it's hard to see what the problem is.
The socket is well positioned to catch small objects - is it possible that something dropped in and caused a short circuit when the plug was put in.
Alternatively sockets do vary in design and some plugs may contact parts of the socket that were not present in the previous car.
I would have expected it to blow the fuse, though.

If you're not confident with electrics, best to get it checked out by one who is. Would need to look at it to see the precise alignment of the contacts.

Post #281277 15th Nov 2015 4:32 pm
Culagh

thanks I'll do that Smile

Post #281281 15th Nov 2015 6:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1