« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > First green lane
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
First green lane

Hi, I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the design of the FL2. Went on a green lane for the first time on Monday and the car got scratched to bits with over grown brambles.

Paint work wont be a problem as I can get someone to polish the scratches out but the plastics are scratched for good.

Does anyone else think that this is a bit poor? Surely an off road vehicle should be fairly proofed against this kind of use and if nothing else the plastics should be cheap enough to replace if they are damaged.

Anyway - better look up a good polisher to remove the mess down the side of the car!

Post #26172 26th Aug 2008 12:31 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The FL2 did'nt steer you down that "green lane" so therefor it must be the driver that is of bad design Shocked . My plastic bits are as unscathed as the day it was born Thumbs Up (so far) 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #26175 26th Aug 2008 12:51 pm
pjbnet

I take your point on board but if I wanted a car that would only go on tarmac and avod green lanes, trees, bushes anything remotely veg like, I would have bought a jeep Wink

Post #26176 26th Aug 2008 1:05 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I thought that you could get scratches out of the plastic. And I thought it was cheaper than paint work, which is why things like the first FL and Discos can with black plastic bumpers.

Rich

Post #26178 26th Aug 2008 1:17 pm
pjbnet

Ummm - does anyone know how to remove the scratches from the plastics?

Please bare in mind that I am a techie - which basically makes me incompetant at spelling and anything slightly manual

Laughing Laughing

Post #26179 26th Aug 2008 1:27 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

My fl1 rolled into a flower pot and badly pushed in the plastic front bumper, an hour later it had popped out again leaving only a faint scratch, the flower pot was undamaged unlike my pride Embarassed At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #26181 26th Aug 2008 1:30 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Blimey they must make the flower pots big there Shocked

When you say "rolled into a flower pot" were you in it at the time? Whistle

Post #26185 26th Aug 2008 1:38 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

no I was in the village shop, my fl1 wandered down the main street about 40 yards Embarassed . lets just say the handbrake got adjusted when I got home Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #26189 26th Aug 2008 1:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Pjbnet

have a look on www.detailingworld.co.uk for a car detailer that maybe able to sort the bramble rash out for you

I would just use some paint coloured polish myself, then get the car done when it becomes time to sell, as paint correction is not going to be cheap Thumbs Up

My wing mirror on the passenger side is scratched due to been forced into a hedge when a old dear came down the middle of a country lane Evil or Very Mad

Big of Auto Glym Bumper Care covers it up ok Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #26191 26th Aug 2008 2:07 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm not sure you really can 'proof' against green lane scrapes.

I've certainly got a few scratches on my car a present as a result recent holiday in Cornwall where many roads are no better than green lanes. In fact I chickened out of visiting one place because the scraping was getting so bad; and thats me who is quite happy to go off road a-la Tong etc!

I've previously polished out scratches from brambles etc no problem using T Cut color-fast the 'dark silver', it works very well on Stornoway Grey. Have used the same on a couple of marks on the bumpers too, with OK result.

I'm not sure what could be done to protect the paintwork any more from this sort of damage, to be honest I can't say that I'm dissapointed that the paint has scratched I guess I take the view that its par for the course once you head off road. I would think its more a problem on green lanes that an off road venue like Tong (or some of the LRE sites) where the tracks seem to be clearer than some green lanes. Is it OK to carry a set of secateurs if you go green laning?

Post #26192 26th Aug 2008 2:15 pm
pjbnet

Thanks guys!

Scratching it really isnt a problem as I kind of expected it. If I was more competant I would do the paint work myself.

I just thought that the plastics looked a little bad and if you can hide the scratches in them as well then the design is fine but if they will always be there then it is quite poor.

It was fun playing down the lane though and would do it again!

Cheers

Phil

Post #26194 26th Aug 2008 2:40 pm
pwven

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Nazca Sand
Re: First green lane

pjbnet wrote:
Hi, I have to say that I am a little disappointed with the design of the FL2. Went on a green lane for the first time on Monday and the car got scratched to bits with over grown brambles.

Paint work wont be a problem as I can get someone to polish the scratches out but the plastics are scratched for good.

Does anyone else think that this is a bit poor? Surely an off road vehicle should be fairly proofed against this kind of use and if nothing else the plastics should be cheap enough to replace if they are damaged.

Anyway - better look up a good polisher to remove the mess down the side of the car!

This is one way of doing it. It is an 3M product and works well.

http://www.leisurewheels.com/Modules_FE/la...amp;nrid=4

Post #26198 26th Aug 2008 5:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there are always the magnetic protectors that are out there, but they are a little bit too much money for me Sad

Avtur, a set of secateurs if fine for greenlaning, from the picture threads i have seen on it, though i have not read it is lawful to cut back/down the trees Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #26200 26th Aug 2008 6:04 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It's ok to cut back ovehanging branches and brambles so long as it is done sympathetically and only enough for you to pass without damaging your vehicle. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #26206 26th Aug 2008 8:33 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

I always take a old fashioned slasher with me to cut back overgrowth finding that dry dead branches do the most damage.
The cheapest way of masking scatches on plastic mouldings is to use the nearest colour boot polish (On black dubbin is best because the gloss level is lower). The polish stains the talc filler used in the polypropelene which is what gives the scratches a white appearance. If the scratches are deep then its a job for a scapel, trim back the slivers of and recut the grain. If really deep then use a filler like Milliput, roughen surface and nearest Humbrol model paint. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #26208 26th Aug 2008 8:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1