« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The AA - Parts & Garage Cover, well worth it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
marky mark

England 
The AA - Parts & Garage Cover, well worth it

Earlier this year, after dealers warranty ran out on my FL2. I took out a policy with the AA, covering parts and garage cover. Cost about £100.

Advised:
Maximum of 5 claims up to £500 per claim, you pay the 1st £35.00 per claim.
You have to call out the AA recovery first and vehicle has to be inspected by a n AA patrol, if it cannot be fixed at the side of the road, the vehicle has to be recovered to either a garage of your choice or one they recommend. If you choice garage of your choice you have to pay and claim back or if you use one they recommend the AA pays direct. (either way the repairs have to be authorised by the AA before work starts)

Well last week had a breakdown (alternator failure) resulting in the AA called out, patrol could not fix so vehicle recovered to local garage of my choice. Vehicle needs a new alternator & belt !!

Advised by garage this will cost about £400, the repairer contacted the AA and repairs authorised straight away (advised I would have to pay and email a copy of the repair bill to them. (less the £35.00) Which has been done today. Within 30mins I received a text advising they had received the invoice and will be processed with the net 10 working days.

So If your looking for cover for unexpected repair bills and currently have AA cover for breakdown have a look at the AA parts and garage cover

See http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/breakdown-repair-cover.jsp Current Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto
Previous Freelander 1 Td4 5dr & Freelander 1 1.8 3dr with fully body kit

Post #279066 21st Oct 2015 7:30 pm
freelander2002

England 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Always good to hear stories like that. No messing about Thumbs Up 2010 HSE SD4 in Santorini black
(Privacy glass, leather/heated seats, ICE, Verde AS M+S)

2002 Freelander GS TD4
(sold 2011)

Post #279067 21st Oct 2015 8:17 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

My diff is on its way out. I'm already an AA member but would it be immoral to upgrade to this cover, give it a week or two and then call the AA out for the noise I have noticed at the rear end of the car and would they pay for it repairing.

Post #279088 22nd Oct 2015 7:33 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Rear diff repair/replacement would be more than the £500. I presume you can claim that amount towards the repair, but worth checking.

Post #279089 22nd Oct 2015 8:09 am
adm

I took out AA cover when FL2 warranty run out battery went flat 5 years old so called AA for a home start lady on the phone said you are covered for breakdowns if a new battery is needed he will fit one COST £35.00 there within the hour.

Post #279111 22nd Oct 2015 2:22 pm
dan55

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm curious as to anyone experience with this. I have breakdown assistance with Nationwide so am fully covered for that but it seems to get the parts and garage you have to get the AA as well.

Has anyone else got this and used it for claiming? If I have a fault that isn't a breakdown as such say an electrical issue or a whiny diff, will they cover that?

Thanks

Post #295616 6th Apr 2016 9:24 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I remember back in the 90's my alternator failed and the AA guy went to a local Lucas dealer about 15 miles away and had it tested then came back with a new one and fitted it. I had to pay for it but no labour charge. How times change. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #295619 6th Apr 2016 9:47 am
dorsetfreelander

heyho wrote:
My diff is on its way out. I'm already an AA member but would it be immoral to upgrade to this cover, give it a week or two and then call the AA out for the noise I have noticed at the rear end of the car and would they pay for it repairing.

I would be surprised if they would pay anything towards a diff job, unless it's a breakdown and the car is undriveable. Noisy diffs can go on for thousands of miles. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #295621 6th Apr 2016 9:52 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

It used to be that the car HAD to have broken down and be towed to a garage by an AA patrol. I suspect this is still the case. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #295646 6th Apr 2016 1:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

Sounds a bit like part of the benefits package I had when I worked for a large IT multinational. If I died in service my wife would collect 4 years salary but if I was travelling at the time it was 7 years worth. I believe that I had to be delivered somewhere by ambulance to collect the extra money. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #295656 6th Apr 2016 4:00 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

We have the repair cover on both cars, had two claims with the Saab.

1/ Alternator failed, AA came out diagnosed failed alternator and had one delivered to the car and fitted it. Cost to me £35.

2/ Clutch pedal went to floor and stayed there, AA patrol said it was due to a failed DMF back bled the clutch and it worked enough to get me home then to garage a couple of days later. After work was done I thought the repair cover might cover it and phoned the AA, they were not sure what if anything would be covered and asked me to sent them all the bills. Clutch not covered as that comes under wear and tear but they paid approx half the total bill for clutch and DMF.

You must have called the AA out to the car and have them diagnose the fault to claim but you don't have to use their garage. Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #295756 7th Apr 2016 6:02 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 

I've just gone with AA breakdown cover for the wifes (RCZ), my landy. Got us both covered with home start for £130 all in. Well worth it. Didn't bother with the extra repair cover option, which was offered to me for around £60 each on top.
Having used AA twice in 2 months on my previous unreliable 2014 fiesta. Last time I called them they were out within 20 minutes of my call, was impressed. Best breakdown service I've received. Used the others in the past, now happy to stick with AA. Landy has now gone.

Post #296049 11th Apr 2016 12:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1