« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Points for test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MarkW

Points for test drive

Hello all

Following my post in the introduction thread, I have booked myself a test drive in both an auto and a manual back to back next Monday.

Which would be the best order to try them? I'm normally a manual driver so I was thinking manual first, followed by the auto.

Also, generally speaking is there anything I should look for/be aware of in a test drive particularly?

I think the cars I will be driving are lower spec than the HSE model I would be looking for, but apart from wheels/tyres, is there any difference with the setup's on any of the TD4's? - Suspension, brakes, electronics etc

Thanks

Post #26020 22nd Aug 2008 3:44 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

If you can on the day see if there is the correct spec available. I believe the wheels/tyres combo has an affect on the handling, although minor. Phil

Post #26023 22nd Aug 2008 4:44 pm
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I test drove a manual XS td4 first which i thought was great and was ready to order my HSE with a manual box. Just to be sure i then tested an auto S with the optional body kit, wow it was great felt much better than the manual. So i now have an auto HSE with 33000 miles and no regrets at all.

MPG on the auto is about 32 but its by far the better option. make sure you test both cars on a windy twisty road and use the command shift on the auto and give it plenty of welly. I am sure you will be convinced.

Best of luck and i am sure whichever box you choose you will love the car.

Post #26025 22nd Aug 2008 8:23 pm
PepperPot

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I had a half-day LR Experience on a TD4 HSE manual, but found that around the lanes it needed a lot of gearshifting as top gear is really high. Similarly, off-road I found first gear too high when manoeuvring around trees in the wood, and needed to slip the clutch too much.

Hence I opted for the auto, and have no regrets at all (especially on the M25 crawl this afternoon!) 2007 Baltic Blue SE TD4 Auto

Post #26028 22nd Aug 2008 9:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

One tip, to remove the key fob push it in not pull on it, otherwise you may break the fob like I did on my test drive Laughing

I believe all cars have the same suspension, so only different wheel sizes can alter things, Electronics wise the 'S' doesn't have the terrain response. It still has traction control but not switchable to suit conditions.

Lastly black FL2's appear to be built in a different 'premium' factory and are vastly superior to ALL others Rolling with laughter (runs and hides) At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #26029 22nd Aug 2008 9:26 pm
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

When we test drove ours the salesman was very clear that all the range (TD4) feel and drive the same - only difference was the trim and toys...

I'm sure someone will disagree but thats what I was told. Only two weeks to go until we get ours - anyone fancy a 2006 Laguna Sports Tourer? Anything over 6k accepted!

Post #26031 22nd Aug 2008 10:05 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

As you go up the range the tyre profile changes to keep the rolling diameter of the wheel the same as the wheel rim size increases. a car on 16 inch rims and high profile tyres rolls a lot more on corners than a car on 19 inch rims and low profile tyres. This is much more pronounced on a car such as a fl2 due to its high centre of gravity and long suspension travel. However a car on high profile tyres has a more comfortable ride on rough surfaces and is less likely to tramline.
In my experience of fl2's the continental tyres are less grippy on corners the michellin tyres give a harder ride and the goodyears squeal more on corners.
You should try for a test ride in the spec you want and in a car with 6000 miles or so as this will give you a better idea of what your car would be like in 6 months or so, I feel this is more relevant than the feel of a brand new tight engined car.
They are all very good though, except the black ones Thumbs Up

Post #26033 22nd Aug 2008 10:21 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black

"Lastly black FL2's appear to be built in a different 'premium' factory and are vastly superior to ALL others (runs and hides)"

Sorry folks but I have to side with Chicken George on this one - BLACK IS BEST.

Post #26047 23rd Aug 2008 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Agree with PepperPot, if you have any interest in off roading the auto is much the better option, I've driven both and my car my car is manual. (auto not available in jan 07 when I took delivery). First gear is set a fraction lower, but not low enough for serious off roading, with some clutch slipping Shocked

If you intend to tow with the car then I'm sure the auto offers some advantages there as well, ease of low speed maneuvering, hill starts etc ...

Your fuel bill for an auto will be a bit higher, but there is the payback in driving comfort/ease so thats a very personal decision.

Post #26072 24th Aug 2008 12:38 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Definitely try manual version first, you'll like it. Then try the auto in varied conditions. For me it was a very easy decision; auto was way better in every respect. After a year of brilliant driving experience in my FL2 SE Auto, I'm still absolutely sure! Razz Thumbs Up Razz Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #26081 25th Aug 2008 12:36 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

techauthorbob wrote:
"Lastly black FL2's appear to be built in a different 'premium' factory and are vastly superior to ALL others (runs and hides)"

Sorry folks but I have to side with Chicken George on this one - BLACK IS BEST.

My test car was black and the back wheel fell off Shocked - so much for 'premium' factory quality Laughing . However the automatic was very nice and far the best choice but at over £6000 more (in Norway) and an unbeatable deal on the Stornoway manual I had my mind made up for me Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #26098 25th Aug 2008 12:08 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Atleast the front wheel didnt fall off that would be much worse, again lucky black saved the day Laughing . Why did wheel fall off? slack wheel bolts? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #26101 25th Aug 2008 1:11 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

chicken george wrote:
Atleast the front wheel didnt fall off that would be much worse, again lucky black saved the day Laughing . Why did wheel fall off? slack wheel bolts?

It was probably arranged by the salesman just to prove that you actually dont need more than three wheels to drive a FL2. Cool

PS: Recommend Auto! Much better. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #26107 25th Aug 2008 3:14 pm
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I cant agree more Thumbs Up

Dorko

Post #26110 25th Aug 2008 3:39 pm
MarkW

Well we went for a test drive earlier in the week and here is my feedback:

First up was a manual 08 XS/GS cant remember which. I was pleasantly surprised. It is an easy car to drive, the driving position is good, and the performance is definately not as tardy as maybe I was expecting. I think most of the time it would be more than adequate. Liked the gearbox, easy, refined and comfortable to change gears. First is a bit short as expected, but through the gears it felt fluid and pulled well. Ride quality was a revalation especially coming from a 350Z and Mini Cooper S!

Then we did the same route in an auto 08 HSE ex demo. This is the spec I would be looking at, and the cabin seems a nicer place to be with the leather, sat nav, sunroof etc. I've driven a few auto's before and pulling off was smooth and easy. We drove the same route again, some motorway, dual carriageway and town. To me the auto seems to work best for relaxed driving, and being in traffic where it excels. When putting your foot down, I still feel (like with other autos Ive driven), that you are not really in control and it doesnt always change when you would change etc which takes away the pleasure od driving.

Before the drive, I thought I would prefer the auto to the manual, now Im not so sure. They both have upsides and downsides, and on balance I'm not really sure which I prefer. The manual was good and I prefer the control, plus it is cheaper, has lower emissions and better economy. On the downside it is a sometimes a chore changing gears constantly in traffic especially as I have a bad back and left shoulder/arm sometimes, and residual wise probably less desirable. The auto conversely is easy to drive, good in traffic, and is allegedly faster (though to me I thought the manual felt quicker - maybe down to my driving), better for off roading so I read, but then worse for price, emissions and fuel. It's a tough choice - dont know how you all managed to decide!

Overall though, very impressed, I think its a good looking car which has a good image, well built, well specced, drives well and has a lot of all round abilities. My partner liked it too after a short drive in the manual.

I did go for a test drive in a BMW 3 series coupe this week too, which ended up in not getting a test drive and an arguement with the salesman.....but thats another story.

Not really sure what to do next...I'm going to hang on to my car possibly until the new year then decide what to do, as I feel I need to try a few more cars before making up my mind.

I've got a few questions on specs, but was going to ask them in a new thread.

chicken george wrote:
One tip, to remove the key fob push it in not pull on it, otherwise you may break the fob like I did on my test drive Laughing

Oh, and chicken george, we broke the fob! Laughing

Post #26391 29th Aug 2008 12:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>