« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear parking sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Olympus15

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Rear parking sensors

How can I isolate the rear parking sensors on my Freelander 2 2013 TD4 manual. I believe earlier models had a switch to do this.

Post #274865 5th Sep 2015 9:22 pm
ad210358

England 

The only models that had a switch were the ones with Front Sensors. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #274878 5th Sep 2015 10:32 pm
Macca

United Kingdom 

My 2009 Freelander 2 has no switch for parking sensors, does not have the volume control option via the steering wheel and launching a boat with the lighting board attached isn't a great idea so powering the trailer socket isn't an option. I made and installed a diy mod to temporarily turn off the sensor alarm so I can hear my banksman's instructions when I reverse the boat down the slipway.

The mod required a fuse holder, a spare fuse, a switch and a short length of twin core cable rated higher than the fuse (around £5 on eBay or electrical component shop). It needed basic soldering skills and although not essential it made for a better job by drilling through the side panel in the luggage area to mount the switch in a position where it's less likely to be accidentally operated.

I should point out that I'm not an auto electrician, I am sharing my solution to a problem I saw on many forum. If you use any of the following to solve your own problems you do so at your own risk and probably invalidate any warranties.

1. Find the sensor fuse location, check the manual .. mine's in the luggage fuse box.
2. Remove the fuse. Turn on ignition (not engine) select reverse and confirm sensors aren't working by obstructing the sensors. If the alarm sounds it was the wrong fuse.

3. "Blow" the spare fuse. I did this by easing out the blades and cutting the connection between them.
4. File down the top of the spare fuse before putting the blades back so that there's some exposed blade to solder onto.
5. Make up a simple wiring loom using the spare "blown" fuse, the new fuse holder-original fuse and the twin core cable.

6. Install the "blown" fuse into the fuse box and thread the cable.

7. Drill a hole for the switch and thread the cable through the hole. (A wire coat hangar pushed through the hole makes it easy to pull the cable through). I chose a high position to reduce the chance of luggage accidentally operating the switch.
8. Attach the switch.
(Obviously it's possible to use a surface mounted switch which avoids drilling and has the advantage of being able to restore the vehicle to a completely unmodified condition by simply removing the connector from the fuse box and inserting the original fuse)

9. Test the system the same way as point 2 above. (I notice that in my case switching off the sensors when the ignition is on works immediately but switching back on only works when the ignition is cycled off and on and the system resets)
10. Assuming all works then install the switch in the hole.
11. Any problems or to restore the set up to original then just pull the connector out of the fuse holder and put the original fuse back.

Post #319947 21st Mar 2017 9:04 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's one hell of a first post well done.

Post #319956 22nd Mar 2017 6:54 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1