Home > General > Low Mileage 2007 or High Mileage 2010+ FL2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mitchell888

United Kingdom 
Low Mileage 2007 or High Mileage 2010+ FL2

Hi there.

I've been a long time landrover fan, in fact our family own a series 2a ex-mod lightweight and I've been brought up around Landys!

I'm looking to purchase my first and have decided upon ye old faithful Hippo 2!

I've found some 2007 GS models for around £8000 with anywhere between 46k-60k on the clock. This to me seems reasonable and low mileage for a vehicle of that age!

I've also found some similar priced 2010, 2011, 2012 models with anywhere between 80-100k+. Is it worth the tradeoff of age vs mileage? Assuming they all have full service history and it's impossible to tell whether its motorway or round town driving because well, dealers lie and you can never be certain!

In my mind, the 2007 with 46k on the clock I've found would be ideal. Just like some advice from you owners who have actually gone through with the purchase.

Cheers.

Post #272595 13th Aug 2015 1:32 pm
Joe

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

TBH, I do not think 100k+ on a FL2 is anything to be worried about if it has had regular oil changes.
The build quality is very good and engines are strong.

Good Luck
Joe Fix it until it's broke !

Post #272599 13th Aug 2015 2:33 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Difficult choice that only you can make but an 80k miles 2012 will get you a 3 yo face-lifted car whereas a 60k miles 2007 car will be pre face-lift and 8 years old. A lot of people spend time and money face-lifting their cars with the later style bumper and grille, headlamps, tail lamps and boot handles.

Given full service histories and equally well cared for bodywork & interiors, is the extra 20k miles a reason not to buy a 5 years younger and better looking car? I'd be going for the 2012 car without a doubt.

Post #272600 13th Aug 2015 2:50 pm
rich_allen

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

Depending on how long you are planning on keeping it and the miles you are doing I would not be concerned about the extra mileage..

The shelf life on these engines is about 240k... Ask me how I know... lol... Twice...

I would happily buy anything up to 170-180k. Once over the 200k mark a fairly simple job will make them go a long way past 240k as well....

Post #272602 13th Aug 2015 3:08 pm
mitchell888

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the answers. I suppose the only real difference will be price.

Seems those bargain 2011 ones at similar prices to 2007 are disappearing really quick. I may not have a choice!

If I stick with a 2007, should a vehicle of that age & mileage (Lets say a rough 50k, give or take 10k) give any major headaches? Again assuming FSH!

Post #272627 13th Aug 2015 8:30 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Bought a 2010 GS from auction a couple of months back

127k, FSH. Runs a dream. It did need the back brakes and handbrake stripped and free'd off, a front wheel bearing and a pair of wipers, but since that, it's going great.

Since had it mapped, and it's returning 45mpg. Just run in Thumbs Up

Post #272629 13th Aug 2015 8:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a 2007 with 34k on the clock. No issues so far to speak of and drives pretty much like new. I have had two newer ones before (the oldest was 5 years old when I sold it). It is a very personal choice though. For me resale value was an issue if I decide to sell so I opted for older with low mileage. There are an awful lot of high mileage cars out there and if the ones posted on this forum are anything to go by they need to be cheap to sell on. Low milers sell fairly easily even the pre-facelift cars. I think the facelift cars look nicer though!

Post #272632 13th Aug 2015 9:04 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I would go for one with less mileage any day. The miles added between 46k and 80 or 100k may well be expensive ones in terms of new components needed.
Starting from a great vehicle on release, subsequent model development over the history of the Freely2 was misdirected and inadequate in my opinion. They added the political engineering - dpf and electric stop start as well as the electric handbrake. All those bits are expensive to repair /replace.
Then they fiddled with software to fiddle with hp (on the SD models) - but did they take that into account with the Haldex 3/4 generation changes- far too many of the later cars seem to have Haldex problems. And then there is the problem some 2011 cars seem to have with hesitation.
So what do you get with a later model that is worthwhile? Well it has the bloated fat lipped front end (which some like -personal preference of course) and the chrome harse piece on the bootlid - sometimes with complementary rust underneath! Oh and they changed the unique little terrain response dial to a row of identical push buttons. Not a lot there really to lust after.

Post #272649 13th Aug 2015 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chalkey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I had a 57 freelander which I facelifted so it looked like a 11 reg enjoyed doing it, new lights front and back, new bumper, tail gate handle. Good look with your choice Thumbs Up [/url] 2013 hse auto, black, almond leather, exnon lights, factory privacy glass, exhaust finisher, rear boot spoiler, mud flaps. Body door side moulding and steps.

Gone and fondly remembered
2012 XS (2013 up-grade LED lights front & rear)
2007 hse (2011 facelift)

Post #272650 13th Aug 2015 11:48 pm
mitchell888

United Kingdom 

Thank you ever so much for the detailed replies!

Based on everything, I'm really not fussed about the facelift version as to me it's just a grill and lights difference. I'm more interested in interior differences, which for an extra 3-4 grand isn't massive.

I'd be looking at a GS spec anyway, as long as it has cruise, aux input and climate control I couldn't be happier.

Found some beautiful 2007-2009's with less than 50k so I'll be aiming for those.

Hopefully, if all goes well you should see a lovely new picture by October time and I'll officially become an owner!

Post #272732 14th Aug 2015 7:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1