« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Farmers milk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Farmers milk

I for one will happily part with an extra 10p to help farmers. Lets hope others follow Morrisons with this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33857629

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #272467 11th Aug 2015 9:50 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

We support our local dairy, but that may be difficult for a lot of people if they don't have access to a dairy. If supermarket milk had a label to say where it came from, then consumers would be able to support British suppliers.
I cannot understand why we should be importing commodities that we can produce in this country, especially when these imports have a catastrophic effect on our producers. I don't get into politics but surely we should be showing common sense?

Post #272468 11th Aug 2015 10:02 pm
ad210358

England 

I feel the consumer has to share the blame, the Supemarkets used the Milk as a loss leader to get you in the shop, they know that every household will buy milk, they've almost put the Dailey pinta on the doorstep a thing of the past, they've screwed the farmer to the ground to get the price so low, there's not many business's that produce a product not knowing what they will get for it when it comes ready for sale. It's about time we had similar to Fair Trade Coffee that we also have Fair Trade Milk.
I know of Farmers that produce veg that have left it to rot in the fields as the price they get offered its not worth cutting.
It happens at Christmas time, the supermarkets are petrified of having empty shelves, they over order, the vehicle turns up to deliver, the product isn't selling, so they find a reason to reject the load. They check the vehicle records of the chiller, find it had dropped a degree, turn it away, if the product is selling well they don't even check the records. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #272471 11th Aug 2015 10:34 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Good point about over ordering at Christmas. I remember seeing shelves in Tesco rammed with mince pies at buy one get one free after Xmas because they had failed to shift the bucket loads they had ordered before Xmas. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #272473 11th Aug 2015 10:56 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Apparently, Tesco pay farmers a fair price then take the hit to sell milk at the price of other retailers.

Post #272485 12th Aug 2015 6:48 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

I refuse to believe that Tesco take a hit on anything, least of all milk! Their policy has always been to screw the supplier.

Post #272486 12th Aug 2015 7:48 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Do you have any evidence to support that claim? Or are you simply working on 'hearsay'? Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #272487 12th Aug 2015 7:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

afaik tescos do that but only on certain 'brands' of milk a bit like the Morrison scheme At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #272492 12th Aug 2015 8:48 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My brother in law is a Dairy Farmer in Devon, a couple of years ago he invested in two robots to do the milking on 130 cows, he was able to get lose one member of staff in the process. The result is more milk from more contented cows (who don't get pushed around by uncaring workers) however he is now getting less than the cost of production but, of course he can't just switch off the process so has to carry on. To add to his woes he recently had to have 17 cows put down as they reacted to the TB test (badgers?) only to find that after they were put down that they were found to be clear - the test is not very effective! Compensation is about half the value of the animal.
I wonder how long he will carry on? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #272494 12th Aug 2015 8:52 am
Badger1970

Slightly digressing, but Devon has one of the lowest rates of infection of bTb in the South.

The 'test' is indeed ineffective, and unless you have been brainwashed by the NFU/Tory alliance, this has been acknowledged by both the BVA, and more recently, DEFRA scientists. It's cattle to cattle that transfer bTb; a Badgers involvement is negligible in transferring a virus that has been completely eradicated in Wales entirely by simple inoculation of cattle

Back on point, you need to look at the bigger picture as to why milk is so cheap. All fingers point back to the tufty club in Strasbourg.....the sooner we are out of that cartel the better for all concerned Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Post #272495 12th Aug 2015 9:14 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I wonder why they cant make ordinary milk, its only a chemical process after all, that the cow does.
Get the ingredients whizz it up hey a fresh pint?
The farm could deviate into making it, then they wouldnt have all the cows to look after, need fields to keep them in or feed them etc and wouldnt need to get up at 4am to fetch them in either.

Post #272497 12th Aug 2015 9:17 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Badger1970 wrote:

Back on point, you need to look at the bigger picture as to why milk is so cheap. All fingers point back to the tufty club in Strasbourg.....the sooner we are out of that cartel the better for all concerned

Sanctions against Russia over the Ukraine invasion have caused a glut of supply in Europe - blame Puking Whistle No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #272503 12th Aug 2015 10:18 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I've heard very little about the marketing spin that Morrison's is putting on this "so-called" support for Farmers. What they are essentially saying is that they want their customers to pay an extra 10p and subsidise Morrison's (along with other supermarkets) abuse of market dominance. I would have been more impressed had Morrison's said they were cutting their margin by 10p whereas they are merely protecting their margin and expecting the consumer to pick up the bill for a bit of PR with no indication as to exactly HOW this 10p will get back to the producer.

I am absolutely supporting the notion that Farmers (along with all suppliers) should be paid a price for their products that represents a fair return on their investment. The Milk debacle is, in the UK at least, just a symptom of a bigger problem; too few outlets for a product that has been commoditised by the supermarkets. If they want Milk to be a loss leader, then so be it, but they shouldn't be asking those that can least afford it to shoulder the loss to maintain supermarket profits.

Post #272505 12th Aug 2015 10:46 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

support your local Milkman also Thumbs Up

Unfortunately they are a dying breed forced out of business by the supermarkets selling milk at low low prices

(unless their lad, pee's in your garden) Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #272508 12th Aug 2015 10:58 am
Badger1970

I ALWAYS support my local businesses wherever possible. We are fortunate enough to still have Butchers/Fishmongers/Grocers/Bakers/Hardware/Wine Merchants/Farmers......all family run businesses. They are often as competitive as the Supermarkets, and in any event, the product tastes totally different. As an example, I pay significantly less for Fillet Beef reared locally than I do for Tesco 'Finest'......and the taste difference is chalk and cheese.

Use it or lose it is the motto of most of us here in South Warwickshire, and we certainly don't want to lose it in favour of the likes of a 'supermarket' that rips you off weekly! Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Post #272515 12th Aug 2015 12:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>