Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Should i change my Disco 3 for a Fl2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
itisrich1

Switzerland 
Should i change my Disco 3 for a Fl2?

Just curious if anyone else had changed their Disco for a Fl2 and how do they feel about it?
I ve had my D3 for 3yrs, it is great but i m wondering do i need all that size and extra running costs when the Fl2 seems drive just as well from what i could tell and if anything is a little more modern.

Be really grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Post #25791 17th Aug 2008 9:08 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

It was the disco that led me towards getting a FL in the first place. If I had the money and could afford to run it i'd have the disco over the freelander but then again, I'm really really happy with the freelander and the fact it's not going to cost a million pounds to tax and run next year! 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #25796 18th Aug 2008 12:24 am
muddywheels

England 

I had 3 Disco 2's before FL2 - I no longer needed 7 seats and saving on fuel, tax depreciation, etc excellent Very Happy

I find it spacious for 2 adults, 3 teenagers and a dog - boot not as big but manage with roofbox twice a year when we need it Thumbs Up

Post #25816 18th Aug 2008 11:50 am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Re: Should i change my Disco 3 for a Fl2?

itisrich1 wrote:
Just curious if anyone else had changed their Disco for a Fl2 and how do they feel about it?
I ve had my D3 for 3yrs, it is great but i m wondering do i need all that size and extra running costs when the Fl2 seems drive just as well from what i could tell and if anything is a little more modern.

Thanks

I have done just this, swapped over some 3 months ago. For me, the FL2 does everything the Disco did, yes its smaller and yes its lower, but everything else seemed to be fresher and somehow better packaged for my needs. I went from a Disco 3 TDV6 SE to a Freelander 2 TD4 SE......all in all very impressed and to date, not one single issue - seems very well put together......one last thing, I went for the manual and reguarly achieve 44mpg !!!!!!!!! A far cry from my other LR product.....an eye watering 15.2......on a good day Big Cry Big Cry

IMHO - go for it Thumbs Up RRS S/C HST - named Plantagenet Palliser

**New addition** Freeloader 2 SE with all the toys

Preferred Dealer: Lancaster Reading

Disco3 - Gone
Defender 90 TD - Gone
FFRR Vogue - Gone
BMW X5 4.4 - Gone
LR Defender Tdi - Gone

Post #25819 18th Aug 2008 12:47 pm
itisrich1

Switzerland 

will_wonka wrote:
itisrich1 wrote:

Thanks

I have done just this, swapped over some 3 months ago. For me, the FL2 does everything the Disco did, yes its smaller and yes its lower, but everything else seemed to be fresher and somehow better packaged for my needs. I went from a Disco 3 TDV6 SE to a Freelander 2 TD4 SE......all in all very impressed and to date, not one single issue - seems very well put together......one last thing, I went for the manual and reguarly achieve 44mpg !!!!!!!!! A far cry from my other LR product.....an eye watering 15.2......on a good day Big Cry Big Cry

IMHO - go for it Thumbs Up

Great that is good to hear. I think the disco (my second) is fantasitc but i think i could really live without the extra size and i do feel the freelander is more up to date and fun. Where i now live roads are a lot busier and space is an issue. There is only ever baby and wife (plus windsurf board on the roof!) in the car and the Fl2 seems more than capable of taking that amount. Has anyone any experince of the Fl2 in snow which is about as off road as i will require?

Post #25820 18th Aug 2008 1:13 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

44 mpg? how are you driving? I cannot get above 31mpg, although I get very little motorway travel done. Phil

Post #25824 18th Aug 2008 2:18 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

I can add to this debate with my own decision to by FL2 after 3 Discos (2 D1 and a D2) and many miles.

The Disco loadspace is the only thing I miss and I get that when I put the back sets down. Otherwise the fuel economy is great (39.7 MPG so far after about 30.5 with the Disco 2), the driving is actually fun with the VG turbo giving the egnine great response and all the features are really nice to have.

For the level of non-extreme off-road driving that I do, I am satisfied with FL2 and the Terraine Response system has worked well. You just need to be watchful for the ground clearance which, although similar to Disco at 20cm, this minimum level is not confined to the underside of the differentials but is generally over the underside of the vehicle.

I am satisfied with the switch

Chris Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #25825 18th Aug 2008 2:19 pm
pwven

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

I had a number of 4X4's the last one being an Jeep Grand Cheroke 3.0 CRD. Now with my Freelander 2 I am so happy and I save big bucks on running costs with the high fuel price.
Will never go bigger than the FL2.

Post #25845 18th Aug 2008 6:07 pm
will_wonka

phil_wkl wrote:
44 mpg? how are you driving? I cannot get above 31mpg, although I get very little motorway travel done.

1. Its a manual

and

2. I follow the speed limits

...........something I find impossible in the RRS Exclamation Exclamation Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up RRS S/C HST - named Plantagenet Palliser

Disco3 - Gone
Defender 90 TD - Gone
FFRR Vogue - Gone
BMW X5 4.4 - Gone
LR Defender Tdi - Gone

Post #25855 18th Aug 2008 11:11 pm
will_wonka

itisrich1 wrote:
will_wonka wrote:
itisrich1 wrote:

Thanks

IMHO - go for it Thumbs Up

Great that is good to hear. I think the disco (my second) is fantasitc but i think i could really live without the extra size and i do feel the freelander is more up to date and fun. Where i now live roads are a lot busier and space is an issue. There is only ever baby and wife (plus windsurf board on the roof!) in the car and the Fl2 seems more than capable of taking that amount. Has anyone any experince of the Fl2 in snow which is about as off road as i will require?

Absolutely, for me the Disco 3 is a prettier car and has the tonka toy look to conquer all........the Freel2 is a great all rounder and is discreet in its day to day actions.......in today's climate of greeny-loonyism, the F2 slaps the freaks striaght in the face......how many of their Maestros / Montegos that most of them drive achieve better than 35mpg.....not many Whistle Thumbs Up RRS S/C HST - named Plantagenet Palliser

Disco3 - Gone
Defender 90 TD - Gone
FFRR Vogue - Gone
BMW X5 4.4 - Gone
LR Defender Tdi - Gone

Post #25857 18th Aug 2008 11:15 pm
r12ure

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

The fuel is the biggest issue.
I find the fuel consumption in the freelander to be very good in comparison to the disco.

We need the space of the disco as the space in the freelanders just not enough to get 3 kids in the back comfortably. Unfortunately three car seats make if almost impossible to get them seated and strapped in easily.

The freelanders a great driving car, much better than the rav4 we had previously.
The loadspace is the only real downside in my opinion

If you need the space keep the disco, but if there's generally not going to be more than 4 in the car and the loadspace of the freelander is OK then change.

By the way the freelanders also more reliable than the disco......... so far

Post #25860 19th Aug 2008 12:19 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

will_wonka wrote:

1. Its a manual

and

2. I follow the speed limits

...........something I find impossible in the RRS Exclamation Exclamation Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

same here...but I'm still surprised as official combined is 37mpg. Phil

Post #25868 19th Aug 2008 9:53 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Low revs High gears minimal braking and plenty of anticipation.just got back from a 180 mile round trip 90 on A and b roads through towns villages etc and 90 on Motorway at 68mph averaged 43.7 mpg could probably do better with he aircon off but I'm happy with 40 +

Post #25870 19th Aug 2008 10:52 am
itisrich1

Switzerland 

Right i m doing it!

I ve reserved an FL2 in my local garage! I will be crunching the numbers with the dealer tomorrow. Can t wait.

Thanks for all the advice

Post #25881 19th Aug 2008 4:37 pm
itisrich1

Switzerland 

Any thoughts on the sun roof is it really worth?

Post #25882 19th Aug 2008 5:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>