« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Reduced engine performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrbee

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Reduced engine performance

Hi everyone. I was a newish member sometime back and have been reading about engine performance issues since mine has been playing up of late. I've been told the egr valve is shot (sticking), and have read previous entries on this subject. please forgive me to ask but is it possible to spray a cleaner into the system and if so where? Many thanks

Post #391773 29th May 2020 2:15 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

The spray in cleaners are generally put into the air intake, after the MAF sensor. How well they work as theyve got a way to go till they get the the egr is up for debate. For the cost of a can of spray I'd say worth a shot.

Removal for a manual clean would be a more definite route, I've not done it myself. Looks well within the realms of a home DIY job to me, but will take a while due to valve location.

What problems are you having? My egr Valve error messages and reduction in power were actually being caused by a intercooler hose split

Post #391777 29th May 2020 6:28 pm
mrbee

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Thank you for your reply.
Reduced performance and limp mode. Did clear after turning off but came back on after a few minutes whilst on idle. Garage didn't show me the code but are trust worthy, and said it indicated the egr valve was sticking. Garage said they would even source the part if I wanted to do it myself. I've played with cars and trains all my life but now too knackered to spend hours pulling something off that I can't see easily. And loosing my tools when I get Evil or Very Mad Thou' I did pull the hose off that I've read splits but it looked fine.

I also noticed of late(and some months back too) that it sounded a little rough on idle after starting up. I was thinking if the egr is sticking it might be worth using some spray and perhaps a fuel additive that I've read of ~ millers?

62 plate with 43K on the clock.

Post #391778 29th May 2020 6:50 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

You probably did it at same time, but intercooler hose end where it attaches to the intercooler also splits. Not as common it seems, but that's where mine was.

I've had some rough idling, revs dipping at stop, occasional stall - but that was down to crankshaft sensor. Easy replace. Just in case you wanted more things to look at Laughing

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Post #391781 29th May 2020 9:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1