« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermittant Starting Fault with 'rurring' noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
scribble

Intermittant Starting Fault with 'rurring' noise

Hi all,

Have had my FL2 TD4 Auto for about 2 months now, and also most from the first week I've experienced intermittant starting faults. When I insert the key fob, foot on brake and press the start button it will occasionally fail to start but instead give a loud 'rurring' noise. Don't get any error messages on the dash or warning lights. This probably only happens once in every 20 or more starts

Usually works on the second attempt and generally don't need to remove the key fob. Tonight, it took 4 atttempts which was a bit worrying. I'm going to book it in at the dealers, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar or has a clue what it might be so that I can give a more accurate description of the fault to the dealer, other than a high pitched rurring noise!

Post #25248 5th Aug 2008 9:27 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

If the noise seems to come from the engine bay not the dash, Its possible that your starter motor solenoid is a bit wonky? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #25249 5th Aug 2008 10:09 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Yeah I have that on my 'other' 4X4. Turns out the flywheel/starter ring and/or the starter are slightly worn.
The reason it happens intermittently is that the starter doesnt always hit the same place on the starter ring when you try to start it.
Not worth me replacing it on this old motor but if that's what it is it's definately worth a trip to the dealer.

Or as CG says it could be the starter jamming etc.

Post #25257 6th Aug 2008 8:35 am
scribble

chicken george wrote:
If the noise seems to come from the engine bay not the dash, Its possible that your starter motor solenoid is a bit wonky?

I think it is coming from the engine bay. Was quite audible when I tried to start it with the drivers door open. The dealer asked exactly the same question. It will be in with them at some point next week for a check up.

Post #25413 9th Aug 2008 8:20 pm
scribble

Well my beloved HSE is still at the dealers. They have managed to isolate the problem to a specific part that the starter motor connects to, can't remember exact name. Apparently gear box needs to be removed to replace said part so it'll be another few days before I get it back Sad

Post #26010 22nd Aug 2008 1:57 pm
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Sounds a bit odd - it is the starter ring round the outside of the flywheel that engages with the starter. that should not be a problem at such an early age. However, not properly engaging is the problme from your description.

I would hope that the stealer has checked out the starter pinion and solenoid first. Do let us know!

Snappa is right, depending on which piston is coming up on compression, the engine will stop with one of 4 areas of the ring gear lined up with the starter pinion. In used flywheels, you can see these areas get most worn as theteetch get bruised as they take up the gently rotating pinion compared with the other teech that run with the starter fully engaged and get only side load. The starter should only apply full torque when the pinion has gone to full engagement.

We await your repair with interest

Chris Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #26011 22nd Aug 2008 2:06 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Yep sounds like they are replacing the starter ring.
Bit odd on a motor of that youth. It usually happens on older/higher mileage motors. How many miles has yours done?

Either that or the starter wasnt fitted properly originally and has been constantly grinding down the ring gear teeth with each start.
Luvverly!

Would love to know the outcome of this one as it might turn out to be a FL2 weakness and if it happens out of warranty can be a Censored expensive job to replace.

Post #26017 22nd Aug 2008 3:18 pm
scribble

Mentioning the Starter Ring -rings a bell. I think this was the part the dealer said was at fault. There is only 2000 miles on the clock but the problem has occured since the first week I took delivery. It hasn't become any more frequent over time and hasn't been an obvious pattern to the occurance. At first I thought I was not following the starting procedure properly (first push button and auto for me in a car). Anyway, I'm glad they have found the problem, I was expecting a phone call to say they couldn't reproduce the problem, but they seem to be on the ball so far.

Post #26024 22nd Aug 2008 8:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1