Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The joys of a caravan .....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
The joys of a caravan .....

Now I know full well that a certain CG will jump all over this comment ... but its a free country so each to his own ...

We have a caravan, which because of various family reasons we have not used since Jan this year; its not just the caravan we haven't had any holiday so far this year.

However this coming Thursday, around 2-3 am we will be setting off for Cornwall for a couple of weeks. Having a caravan has given us the opportunity to choose exactly where we want to stay on exactly the time frame we wanted. It also allows us to take our dogs, very important to us, and although there is a good network of dog friendly hotels none could come close to offering what will be available to us on our chosen caravan site.

Given that progress along our route will be limited by the law (60mph motorway - 50 mph single carriagway roads) I have decided to undertake most of the journey at what most people would call 'off-peak' hours; that is I will travel through the night. While this may sound unsociable it is not unknown for charter flights to the "med" to arrive and depart in the middle of the night, so no loss there.

So Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to caravan holidays ....

Post #25139 3rd Aug 2008 9:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

what area of cornwall are the Avtur family heading to?

Decided that the family are heading down to the warmer part of britain next year Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25140 3rd Aug 2008 10:13 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

What could I possibly say...your going to Cornwall instead of my beloved Yorkshire so you wont hold my tractor up Laughing .

It is a long way to drag your tin tent..... why not consider a holiday cottage instead? Lets face it your fuel bill is going to be pretty high with all the towing.

For example http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/devon-holiday-cottages/index.htm £562/week max for four people At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 3rd Aug 2008 10:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #25142 3rd Aug 2008 10:32 pm
avtur

hi nick,

We're off to this place

http://www.penmarlampark.co.uk/

Have not stayed at this site before but we know the Fowey area quite well from previous trips. (camping, trailer tent and static vans) It's a great place. Thumbs Up

Post #25143 3rd Aug 2008 10:35 pm
avtur

Like I said CG we've chosen exactly where we want to be, no dog friendly cottages in the area !!!

By the way we 'do' Yorkshire as well, but just not this time. I'll give you a heads up next time we head your way!!!

Shocked

Post #25144 3rd Aug 2008 10:38 pm
chicken george

Which Yorkshire locations do you cause your traffic jams in Laughing ? At work
At home

Post #25146 3rd Aug 2008 10:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

looks nice Thumbs Up

Not done that side of cornwall yet, was near Boscastle the other year, then Padstow for the second week as my brother came down and wanted to stay at the same place as our first trip down in his tent.

Going to do a little research as we will want somewhere thats kids friendly with a playground and also the views of the sea ect as we will have our second child as well when we go who will be a few months old and will need a baby changing facilities. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25147 3rd Aug 2008 10:52 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Nick, I can vouch for the club site at Veryan, I'll admit it;s a mile walk to the beach, but the area is very peaceful with heritage National trust coastline, Port Looe etc very Nice and all theusual club site facilities.
Sorry, I think it's camping and caravan club, not Caravan club.Google Earth it and have a look. Thumbs Up

Post #25149 4th Aug 2008 6:32 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Ban em from the roads

Just got back from my hols in the Norwegian mountains Very Happy Sad
The only comment I have about caravans is that they are no problem here on our winding speed regulated roads. However the biggest BUG for us others must be tracktors blocking the traffic at peak traveling times. So my grumble is framers that drive tracktors Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad - they are the ones we others should wage war against Twisted Evil - Ban em from the roads I say Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25151 4th Aug 2008 8:22 am
chicken george

yes ban 'framers that drive tracktors' what ever they are? Rolling with laughter At work
At home

Post #25156 4th Aug 2008 12:24 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

......and ban englishmen what is now living abroard what has forgotton his englisch Laughing
for all non speaking english and farmers: tracktor = tractor Yawn 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25163 4th Aug 2008 1:16 pm
chicken george

As to be expected from a gent like me I have a polite sticker on my farm trailer
 At work
At home

Post #25169 4th Aug 2008 1:52 pm
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver
Re: The joys of a caravan .....

avtur wrote:
Now I know full well that a certain CG will jump all over this comment ... but its a free country so each to his own ...

We have a caravan, which because of various family reasons we have not used since Jan this year; its not just the caravan we haven't had any holiday so far this year.

However this coming Thursday, around 2-3 am we will be setting off for Cornwall for a couple of weeks. Having a caravan has given us the opportunity to choose exactly where we want to stay on exactly the time frame we wanted. It also allows us to take our dogs, very important to us, and although there is a good network of dog friendly hotels none could come close to offering what will be available to us on our chosen caravan site.

Given that progress along our route will be limited by the law (60mph motorway - 50 mph single carriagway roads) I have decided to undertake most of the journey at what most people would call 'off-peak' hours; that is I will travel through the night. While this may sound unsociable it is not unknown for charter flights to the "med" to arrive and depart in the middle of the night, so no loss there.

So Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up to caravan holidays ....

Enjoy your holiday in your caravan Avtur, like yourself it is my favourite way of unwinding and relaxing and having the freedom of being able to go where you want, whenever you want and to do whatever takes your fancy that makes it such a popular hobby. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #25178 4th Aug 2008 7:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

has anybody been to the caravan club site at Looe ?

Looks quite nice, and has crazy golf, play area and heated swimming pool

Doesn't look too bad on the CC website, and will be having a refit in the closed season from oct 2008 so should be in top condition when i go in july 2009. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25245 5th Aug 2008 8:18 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
has anybody been to the caravan club site at Looe ?

Looks quite nice, and has crazy golf, play area and heated swimming pool

Doesn't look too bad on the CC website, and will be having a refit in the closed season from oct 2008 so should be in top condition when i go in july 2009.

Yes I know this site, before the CC took it over it used to be a privately owned site called Dovers, and back then the vans used to be squeezed in a bit. I have popped in there since to have a look and it was very different, there was good sized pitches.
Have you been to Looe before? it is a cracking place.

Post #25328 7th Aug 2008 8:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>