Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Brain tumours... Any success stories?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 
Brain tumours... Any success stories?

I'm not a member of many forums. However, I'm totally shell shocked, so I've decided to post here.
In 2011 my mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer. She had surgery and despite major complications resulting in an emergency admission, more surgery and a spell in ICU; made a full recovery.
She was monitored closely but earlier this year things started to go wrong.
A chest CT scan revealed a nodule in her lung... A biopsy confirmed it was a tumour... Spread... Or metastasis.
She's had further work up and we now know she has a brain tumour too.
I can't believe it. She's only 60. She's so well.
The peer reviewed research gives odds of only a 30% survival rate to 12months.
We are waiting to see a new oncologist.
I can't believe this has happened.
I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation?

Post #265939 4th Jun 2015 11:27 pm
Dreamer

United Kingdom 

Sorry to hear your news. I think you know from your professional life that there are always those that pull through despite the odds. Keep your spirits up and think positive.

Having come through cancer twice myself, it is having family and friends around you that really helps.

But and this is a big but, don't forget yourself. Everyone supported me, but I think they sometimes forgot that although I was the one who had the cancer my family where going through the same emotional roller-coaster.

Post #265943 4th Jun 2015 11:43 pm
muddywheels

England 

Sorry to read your post mightymildred Sad

I have friends who have survived brain and lung tumours and treatment is now leaping forward so stay positive and I wish her all the best Bow down

You need to talk to others and they will help you deal with this. Many have been affected and will help you Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #265967 5th Jun 2015 9:00 am
taztastic

England 

I was gutted the other day when I got your message, its a shame we missed you but will catch up soon and as others have said, we are here for you, try and stay positive Thumbs Up

Post #265978 5th Jun 2015 9:45 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

not good at all, i am in a similar situation myself with my father, all this after having a 2 year battle with my mother after a very bad infection in her ankle, who nearly died due to the body attacking itself, only to then have cushings syndrome and finally the all clear after a brain operation to remove half her peptuity(sp) gland

now going through a terminal prognosis with my dad, along with my wife suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and only just getting back to limited work after a 7 month fight for fitness to enable to

keep your chin up, don't bottle things up, i had in the past and its not a good way to handle things and makes it worse, chat to people who are close and friends on here, Paul and Andy helped me throw a tough time not so long ago, by chatting and meeting up Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #266037 5th Jun 2015 1:41 pm
muddywheels

England 

Blimey Nick Shocked

My thoughts go out to you too - been through similar and it's only when you talk about these things do you realise how many people have been there - far too many - but it helps to know you are not alone and hearing how other people coped Bow down

Lot more support now than there used to be and no matter how bad it gets things do get better with time Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #266041 5th Jun 2015 2:00 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

MM I am absolutely devastated to hear your news.
Thought I had had a bad time with a Heart attack in 1990 and Prostate cancer in 2010 but have been cleared of both.

As all above have said and particularly Dreamer you must keep positive and pray for a positive outcome.
Also as Muddywheels said treatment is advancing daily with new treatments coming on line yearly.
For instance my Oncologist has informed me that the radiation equipment that they used to treat me is only
5 years later obsolescent, having been replaced by new much more sophisticated equipment.

Not a lot I can do with meeting up for chats etc. from the wrong side of The Pennines but if you ever feel like chatting via email send me a PM and I am available to respond most of the time.

In the meantime I will remember both you and your Mum in my prayers.

Best regards,

Bill.

PS Could even send you some corny jokes. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #266043 5th Jun 2015 2:15 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

This is something we all unfortnately go through sooner or later. In my case my mother died of motor neurone disease (every bit as nasty as cancer in its own way) and my father of metastatic prostate cancer.

Easily said, less easy to do, but try to accept the situation for what it is - something you can't change and have to live with like it or not. It's easy to get angry and frustrated, to the detriment of yourself and those around you, but if you can avoid doing that and 'just live with it' it makes things easier, and will better enable you to support your mother.

The odds can be beaten too. When my father was first diagnosed he wasn't given long, but when he did finally succumb it was a full 15 years later at an age when he'd have been coming to the end of his life anyway. Another family member has been living with metastatic breast cancer for going on 10 years now and is still fit and otherwise healthy.

Post #266044 5th Jun 2015 2:24 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Wow, some pretty heavy stories on here.
Just got news of one in my own family, but no need to give you the detail.

Key point of my post is to say, stay strong, stay focused, fight it head on ....... don't let the illnesses win !

Wishing all well. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #266047 5th Jun 2015 2:44 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Goodness...
Thank you guys. Life is so hard and so cruel.
As many of you know I set out on my own with my own practice. Its been really hard work but things are going well. Very well... despite my staff telling me i undercharge and even some clients saying that too!
I split with the love of my life in October... Its not just the Aston Martin I miss... I was dumped unceremoniously. I was in a relationship with someone who was quite poorly... he had Graves diseases- an autoimmune condition that makes you have an overactive thyroid. For a man in particular, this is really cruel. After 5 years of turbulence... not shouty or physically nasty- but more of tiredness and emotional turmoil... he decided he didn't need or want me in his life. When i was with him, I had this lovely feeling... thats how you feel when you are in love I guess... Its only now that I appreciate what has gone from me... As I put it "I've lost my calm".
I was just beginning to get myself pulled round- selling Eva was a big part of this because we chose her together. My house was going on the market too- as I saw him everywhere in it... Then BOOM... this happens to mum.
Its so unfair... my lovely mum has been through so much. She honest and kind, always there for anyone and everyone. The Censored things seem to happen to the nicest people and pets!!
The recent peer reviewed literature is so dismal. I just keep telling myself that I'v seen mum's scan and I dont think its a classical met... so much so I've convinced the oncologist to do an MRI, rather than relying on the contrast CT. I have to fight for mum.

Post #266048 5th Jun 2015 2:44 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

stay strong and positive and never be afraid to pour your heart out to friends and family, even online friends (i.e. on this forum) will be more than willing to listen/read your emails and respond where appropriate.

your right when you say you have to fight for your mum, and be strong to help her through this, but you also need to let it out otherwise you will wear yourself out. You only have so much strength, and if you share the load its a lot easier.

fingers crossed for you and your mum, thoughts are with you

Rog

Post #266049 5th Jun 2015 2:56 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I have to fight for mum GO MM GO.

Bill Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #266050 5th Jun 2015 2:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

the one thing i can advise when you find out something like this, is don't search the internet for stories of how it is, I found that every story you read, will be similar, but now exactly the same as your mothers, people react differently, sometimes medication is positive, sometimes not as one might hope for, you can only deal with how your mother reacts to it, as days and months progress.

reading about it brings worry, and other things that are not relevant to you and your mothers situation, your best to sit and listen to the doctors, they will let her know what symptoms to expect as side effects to any treatment she will receive and then see if she gets them and do what's required then.

another thing... whilst you can and your mother is able to, get out there and spend time with them, visit places that you have happy memories with them, I recently did that with my dad, as a child i was fortunate enough to have a boat on Lake Windermere, as a child spending so much time up there boating, skiing & jetsking and looking back on it now was quite a privilege we were compared to many kids that I grew up with,

Last Bank Holiday, my brother arranged to go for a long weekend away with his family and my mum and dad and headed of to Lake Windermere to have a weekend on the Lake with his speedboat he owns. My wife and kids were in Menorca, and i headed up also, spending a full day on the Lake, beached up with a few beers, laughing and joking as a family, just like the old times, was very special for me and brought back so many memories, (including how to kneeboard like I did 20 years ago) and a great BBQ to finish off the day, a trip down the Lake the following day more booze and grub, a bit more the following day and a great meal that evening before heading home.

Even without my family been there, i can safely say it was the most enjoyable weekend i have had in a very long time, one i remember for a long time, been with my dad and family

Get out there MM, enjoy the time you have left, don't worry about the "what if's and buts" and be there for your mother Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #266061 5th Jun 2015 4:22 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

She didn't make it... Not even time for any treatment.
Life is so cruel.

Post #268584 2nd Jul 2015 11:32 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

So sorry to hear that MM. I don't have any words that can ease your pain and sorrow, only time can do that but you and yours are in my thoughts.

Lewis

Post #268585 2nd Jul 2015 11:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>