« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Help! PETROL 3.2 i6 Engine revs up and down and eventually s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LR2drivendiscover

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Rimini Red
Help! PETROL 3.2 i6 Engine revs up and down and eventually s

After driving about 500kms of highway my engine (3.2 i6) started losing drive - the revs would go up and down, and the engine would provide different levels of power. Changing gears didn't fix the problem. Eventually put the auto box in neutral and it stalled at 70km/h (it's an auto).

Engine light didn't come on that time but it did after. I managed to restart it and it does about 35kms of distance before it goes crazy and stalls again. Slight throttle inputs help to minimize the chance of the problem.

Checked the oil, fluids, etc and everything is fine. Engine sounds normal aside from when the problem occurs (it still sounds normal then but it stalls).

I'm definitely not a mechanic but I tjink it's either fuel related (fuel pump, throttle body, water in fuel) or a friend says it may be the injectors. Anyone had a similar problem? I'll take a look at the forum while the dealer looks at the car!

Any help/inputs will be appreciated! I will also post what the dealer says when they are done looking at it.

Post #268201 27th Jun 2015 9:58 pm
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hardly any one here has the petrol engine. However, it sound to me as if the MAF sensor may be the culprit. Don't know what they are like in the i6 but they usually respond to an very careful clean if you can get to it. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Post #268234 28th Jun 2015 5:44 pm
LR2drivendiscover

That's what I feared - not many petrol FL2 owners on this forum. Thanks for the help though! It's at the dealer now as I was about 650kms from home and had no tools or anything to look into it. However after 1 hour of looking at it the dealer has yet to know what the issue is (other that it's related to the fuel flow), so I'll make sure that they have a look at that.

Post #268239 28th Jun 2015 8:20 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Check the exhaust system. Recently had to replace my center muffler and pipe. Canadian winters with heavy salt, hot then freezing days mess them up. The exhaust was never extremely loud but caused bad performance but no engine light display. Don't play with the gears it will feel like it's going to stall (eg. when slowing down to stop) but it won't (unless you play with the gears). Water in fuel (bad gas) is also possible.

Post #268289 29th Jun 2015 5:55 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Thanks Jutrem. My vehicle has been in the shop at LR Calgary since Saturday and they still have no idea what the problem is. I'll suggest they look into the exhaust system. Did you have the same "symptoms" on your vehicle prior to the fix?

I'm kind of stuck and don't know what to do, I'm staying in Banff with my girlfriend until the vehicle can get fixed and I should be working in Saskatoon at this time.

I did manage to sneak a picture of the fault codes.

Post #268308 30th Jun 2015 12:06 am
LR2drivendiscover

So...

LR Calgary kept it all day on Monday and they still don't know what the issue is... I was dumbfounded to hear they drove the car 150KMS Shocked to try and find the problem without asking for permission! First, I will be shocked if they charge me for it, as well as the fuel. Second, why not inspect parts with potential failures rather than drive 150KMS to try and get a fault code reading!!!?

Although they don't know what the issue is they suggested ordering a sensor which would come in by Wednesday.

I need to get back to work in Saskatoon (I have already missed a day) so I told the dealer to stop driving my FL2 around and hopefully I can make it to Saskatoon and get it looked after there. Fingers crossed I can make it.

Any further tips/inputs/suggestions remain welcome!!!

Cheers

Simon

Post #268365 30th Jun 2015 5:59 pm
alex_pescaru

You have there, in the following order on the time axis, these error codes:
1. Low fuel rail pressure.
2. Lean mixture.
3. Rich mixture.

2 is because of 1 and 3 is because of 2 when the ECU tried to compensate.

On this particular implementation of the gasoline engine, the fuel rail pressure is obtained not by a pressure tuned return valve, but by driving the fuel pump in a controlled way (PWM drive).

I would check the fuel pump in the first place. Eventually talk with them to change it and if the problem is solved, buy it.

Post #268383 30th Jun 2015 9:00 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Thanks Alex. Your diagnosis makes a lot of sense, and is a lot more helpful than what the dealer told me after looking at the vehicle. Thumbs Up I'll go with your suggestion if I can't find anything else

Only issue is I'm pretty sure the dealer will make me pay for any replacement part. The logical way for the dealer would be to start with the sensors and then the fuel pump I'm guessing.

I may try posting on the Volvo forums as the 3.2i6 is used by tons of Volvo's (S60, XC60, S80, XC90, XC70, V70) here in North America. Perhaps one of them will have had this happen...

I managed to drive 700kms back to Saskatoon without a problem occurring.

Any other suggestions/tips will be welcome!

Cheers,

Simon

Post #268478 1st Jul 2015 5:39 pm
jutrem

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Hi LR2drivendiscover, Any progress on this issue?

Post #270159 20th Jul 2015 6:53 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Hey Jutrem, sorry for the delay in getting back to the thread.

A few days after returning from my trip I went to talk to a service technician at Land Rover Saskatoon. He said that he's changed a few fuel pumps on LR2's and suspected this to be the problem. However, he said that he couldn't be sure and running more tests (and more labour $) may not be able to confirm this - as the problem is intermittent.

As a result, and because I don't have plans to do any long distance driving until late August, the technician suggested I keep driving the vehicle and hope for the issue to re-appear and then bring it in to the dealer straight away and get it diagnosed. Even though the problem results in an engine stall, he said 8 times out of 10 you can restart the engine after letting the car to cool down (this is effectively the technique I used when trying to make my way to Calgary after stalling with 150kms to go). If anyone on this forum ever has this issue with the i6, the technician also suggested trying to add gas in if the issue occurs as the new gas will be cooler and cool down the fuel pump.

So that's my situation. My engine hasn't stalled in the month or so since then but does seem very slightly erratic on the occasional startup or acceleration.

I'm headed to the UK for two weeks this weekend. If the issue hasn't occurred when I get back I will probably try to drive my vehicle in a loop around the city to see if I can make it fail - or bring it in for more diagnostics. I don't know yet. Story to follow...

Also, the i6 is quite extensively in use by Volvo, who manufactured it. Anyone have a thread to a similar situation occurring on any 3.2 XC60, S80, XC90, V70 or XC70!?

Cheers

Simon

Post #271084 29th Jul 2015 5:36 pm
LR2drivendiscover

Alright everyone, just providing one last update to this thread in case any petrol owners experience similar problems.

Since the issue occurred this summer, my FL2 has been trouble-free. The likely culprit seems to have been BAD GAS. I filled up at an esso that didn't look very well maintained on my way to Banff from Saskatoon, and seeing as the problem has not occurred since, I have to assume that the gas was probably dirty and clogged my fuel or confused the ECU for some reason. I let the tank run almost empty two-three times upon my return to really "clean" the possible bad fuel, and it seems to have worked. In the end, have not had to put any more money into this, so quite happy.

Just putting it out there in case anyone wanted to know.

Cheers

Post #280941 11th Nov 2015 10:09 pm
LR2drivendiscover

FURTHER UPDATE

Yesterday, the vehicle stalled again following a long drive in warm weather. Appeared to be the same symptoms as last summer (long drive in warm weather, engine begins to sputter and lose drive, then vehicle stalls).

Thinking its sensor-related due to 1 year elapsing between the two occurrences and the similar circumstances of the fault.

Check engine light was on this morning, so combined with the stall yesterday I just took it into the dealership without shutting it off in the hope they can figure out the issue.

Any leads/ideas on what this could be will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post #300477 10th Jun 2016 4:22 pm
LR2drivendiscover

FURTHER UPDATE

Yesterday, the vehicle stalled again following a long drive in warm weather. Appeared to be the same symptoms as last summer (long drive in warm weather, engine begins to sputter and lose drive, then vehicle stalls).

Thinking its sensor-related due to 1 year elapsing between the two occurrences and the similar circumstances of the fault.

Check engine light was on this morning, so combined with the stall yesterday I just took it into the dealership without shutting it off in the hope they can figure out the issue.

Any leads/ideas on what this could be will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post #300478 10th Jun 2016 4:23 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

I had similar with a petrol Saab. Loss of power, would not rev above 2000 rpm, stall with any more than light throttle, switch off and wait 30 minutes and it would run normally for a few miles, had it in to several dealers who didn't have a clue. It turned out to be fuel pump overheating and slowing. The pump was in tank and it only happened when below 1/4 full and the pump was exposed, Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #300482 10th Jun 2016 4:45 pm
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

My suggestion a year ago would be to get yourself a codereader (iCarsoft i930 would be my suggestion).

If the Check Engine Light is on then there is a code stored, knowing the code is the key to diagnosing the fault.

The fault is going to be related to air, fuel or spark (helpful I know).

Since the car is at the dealer, you'll have to wait for their diagnosis now.

A fuel pump issue seems plausible, I would measure the fuel pressure and look for it dropping myself. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #300510 10th Jun 2016 11:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>