« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 XS vs HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
muddywheels

England 
Freelander 2 XS vs HSE

After an absence of 5 years I'm looking to buy my 3rd FL2 and return to the fold. I'm a bit rusty on FL2's after my absence so looking for expert opinions on vehicles I've short listed Bow down

First - what are main differences between 11(11) XS and 12(61) HSE - the two I'm looking at both have sunroofs - XS has Leather/Alcantara and HSE full Leather. Anything else I need to know about Confused

Both done about 40K miles, Auto and come with 2 years LR Approved Warranty. XS is about 」1k cheaper Thumbs Up

Opinions greatly appreciated Very Happy Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #265889 4th Jun 2015 3:37 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

I am not sure the heated seats are standard on the XS
I only every got memory seats on my HSE
auto dimming rear vie mirror possibly

I have a HSE for sale Very Happy 

Post #265892 4th Jun 2015 3:43 pm
muddywheels

England 

Cheers pcheaven Bow down

XS I'm looking at has heated seats according to the advert but will check before trekking to view it Confused

I checked out your HSE and looks a nice motor but a little more than I'm looking to spend thanks to the ridiculous price I've been offered for my 2 year Old immaculate RRS Black Edition - I could of bought yours with what I'm losing on it Big Cry

GLWTS Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #265895 4th Jun 2015 3:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

As a general rule of thumb, I have always taken the view that with any car you go for a lower spec as these are better value for money. You are not paying over the odds for features that you hardly ever use. (actually, come to think about it, heated seats might have been a good idea for the last week or two!) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #265905 4th Jun 2015 4:20 pm
muddywheels

England 

Excellent point dorsetfreelander - particularily buying new - used normally not so bad Thumbs Up

My 2 previous FL2's were new GS specs for that reason - I got carried away with the current Sport in 2013 as I planned to keep it 5 years but that was before I realised how hard it is to get a mortgage now Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #265907 4th Jun 2015 4:35 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

trim levels are getting crazy, many people do not/cannot use the toys.

my mother has suzuki sx4?? she got all bothered with it the other day as my Dad had changed the radio to LW for cricket and she couldn't navigate the screen back to radio 2.
I did it in about 20 seconds despite never driving the car but for people like my mother a row of buttons is preferable to a multi media screen.

ps mother has a phobia about mobile phones tech just isnt her thing. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #265909 4th Jun 2015 5:31 pm
muddywheels

England 

All this technology and half of it doesn't work anyway Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #265910 4th Jun 2015 5:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I got invited to a Porsche event last week and the dealership unveiled a 1979 Porsche 924 turbo that they had bought on ebay as a non runner as a restoration project (complete with bird's nest inside). I had a good look under the bonnet and there was not an electronic module in sight and everything looked easily accessible. It didn't even have a cassette player, just a radio with big buttons. Felt tempted to get myself an old LandRover or a Capri or something. Still thinking about it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #265915 4th Jun 2015 7:15 pm
lukev01

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Go for it!

There are many on this forum with old Land Rovers. I am only just into FL2 ownership after owning Series LR over many years.

My local mechanic always loves getting his hands on the S2A since he rarely gets a chance to be "proper hands-on", as he puts it.

There is nothing better than taking the LR for a drive along a byway through the woods at the weekend after a long week at work and if I scratch the paint, I don't care a jot. I can always get the brush and roller out if it starts to bother me. Very Happy

Post #265918 4th Jun 2015 7:44 pm
wildebed

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
As a general rule of thumb, I have always taken the view that with any car you go for a lower spec as these are better value for money. You are not paying over the odds for features that you hardly ever use. (actually, come to think about it, heated seats might have been a good idea for the last week or two!)

It's probable, however, that a higher spec car has a greater resale value at all stages - therefore you get more when you pass it on. Also, in a market place where there are a few different models of the same car, the higher spec one is easier to sell.

As for features you don't use: Full leather is easier to clean, stays looking clean longer & looks smarter.

There's the other - psychological - issue; if you're looking at both and could have either, you may come to resent buying the lower spec model.

Post #265973 5th Jun 2015 9:22 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

If they are broadly similar in price/mileage/condition then definitely go for the HSE spec.
The XS may have well have some extras above standard but it is still an XS spec (still good, but not as good as an HSE)

Mine is a GS spec, with panoramic roof. I dont regret buying it as Ive added a sat nav, armrest, and hands free music streaming system to bring up the spec level. But its still only a GS model.

HSE all the way if I were you. Thumbs Up

Post #265976 5th Jun 2015 9:38 am
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I got invited to a Porsche event last week

Yawn Yawn Yawn Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #265977 5th Jun 2015 9:45 am
glynjones

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

RogB wrote:
If they are broadly similar in price/mileage/condition then definitely go for the HSE spec.
The XS may have well have some extras above standard but it is still an XS spec (still good, but not as good as an HSE)

Mine is a GS spec, with panoramic roof. I dont regret buying it as Ive added a sat nav, armrest, and hands free music streaming system to bring up the spec level. But its still only a GS model.

HSE all the way if I were you. Thumbs Up

Sorry to hijack the tread but can you tell me which model Garmin you have the your dash cubby? Just looked at your gallery and so it. Does it fit snug all around?

Also what did you use for the music streaming? I bought a bluetooth receiver for music but the output was only in mono so I sent it back.

Thanks.

Post #265981 5th Jun 2015 9:54 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

the garmin was an ex display one from Hellfrauds, its just wedged into the cubby so no fitting needed for that. I bought an extra long cable for a couple of quid from amazon, drilled a hole in the base of the cubby (so it can be hidden by the rubber mat if i remove the garmin) and ran the cable down the back of the facia panel, and up into a usb adaptor in the front aux socket which is ignition switched. This way the sat nav switches on and off with the ignition.

Ill pull the garmin out later today and get the model number off the back, it may be discontinued now though.

As mine is an early GS spec, it doesnt have built in bluetooth. I just got Hellfrauds to fit a Parrot MK9200i hands free kit, which provides multiple streaming sources (3.5mm jack, USB, SD Card, Bluetooth streaming) and can also stream digital radio (using the tune in radio app). Thats what the little screen next to the radio display is in my gallery pics.
The parrot has control box which sits behind the dash and everything plugs into that. Its has a built in Amp but only provides sound to the front speakers with its own volume control. however its pretty reasonable quality sound.
It has wireless remote control unit which i have stuck onto the inside of steering wheel, next to wear the factory fit hands free control goes. Works well for me.

All in all, it works pretty well. and cost a total (including fitting of the Parrot) of around 」200.

Post #265987 5th Jun 2015 10:19 am
muddywheels

England 

Thanks for all the input Bow down

Crapstone just offered 」4k less for mine than webuyanycar and dealer with HSE so the Xs is no longer in the running Evil or Very Mad

When I had my GS I fitted a garmin nuvi in the cubby for Bluetooth phone and music through radio and have to say it was better than LR sat nav Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #265990 5th Jun 2015 10:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>