Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > OEM Bluetooth Retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Well my installation kit still hasn't turned up... 6 weeks already... but it's coming by sea from Canada apparently...

Anyhow my phone module turned up and I got a little further in reverse-engineering the wiring.

Here's a better pic of the complete installation kit, minus the phone module:

Click image to enlarge

Presuming that everyone has read through the official Installation Instructions post up earlier...

Best to break down the installation into smaller pieces.

1. Phone module
2. Power wiring to phone module
3. Fiber optic cabling
4. Microphone & wiring
5. Steering wheel control

So let's get started...

1. Phone module

Here's the one I bought

Click image to enlarge

It's a very early one (you can see the date) but it'll get me started. I got it cheap enough (under $100 delivered)

2. Power wiring to phone module

The seller supplied the connector with the module I bought, but he cut the wires, doesn't matter too much, as it turns out I already had two of these connectors in my collection. They are the exact same connector for the phone module in various Jaguars; X-Type, S-Type, X350 XJ, and obviously the XF as well...

Click image to enlarge

The connector that came with the module

Click image to enlarge

Along with the two connectors I already had, taken from an X-Type and an X350 XJ. Exact same connector, although a different brand on them.

This connector can actually be purchased from Land Rover, part number YPC901800, they are £5.14 each incl vat, BUT they do not have any pins in them, you can also order pre-terminated leads for this connector, part number 41854904 BUT they must come in a pack of 100x or something like that, because that p/n is £78.58 incl vat. So it's better to rip a connector with leads out of a wrecked Jag Shocked

This connector is a 32-way, but actually only 4x pins are used. And it's 2x switched power, 2x earths, which actually just go back to two connections in the end. The loom that comes in the kit has a male and female connector on the other end, so you can unplug another loom and fit this in between. That's really not necessary, you could simply take it to the switched power in the auxillary junction box, and a convenient earthing point.

Check the wiring diagrams to see what I mean.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The red circle shows where the switched power continues back to the auxillary junction box.

So using the Jag connector, hard-wire it in, no need for those additional connectors.

3. Fiber-Optic Cabling

I couldn't get a picture of that Jag XF loom that I mentioned before. No bother, there is a cheaper way.
My phone module also came with the MOST Fiber-Optic connector fitted (but also cut off) and this confirmed my thoughts on the fiber-optic cabling.

What we need is a 3-way MOST extension loop, like this: MOST Third Device Connector

Click image to enlarge

The Jag S-Type, X-Type & X350 XJ uses a different fiber optic network, called D2B. It's not compatible with the MOST network used in the Freelander (and Jag XF) but the concept is the same. With the D2B network it's very easy to add or remove a module, by opening the connector and adding a length of fiber optic cable. And it's the same with the MOST cabling in the newer cars.

Pics to explain.

Click image to enlarge

The MOST connector

Click image to enlarge

Pop out the blue tab, and you can (carefully) extract the fiber optic connector.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Extending the loop to include another module only requires a single orange fiber section, and an additional black connector. You just have to make sure that you get the right direction, as there is an in and an out. The optic signal runs in one direction as a loop.

So this extra piece needs to be taken from a wrecked car that has MOST, i.e. a Jag XF.

Or you could buy a blanking loop like this one: Fiber MOST optic loop kit

Click image to enlarge

Open the connectors, add in the single piece. Done. USD $18 delivered.

In the worse case you can buy the black male MOST connector from Land Rover, part number YPC911470, about £2 each, but that does not include the orange fiber cable, it's just the black connector.

4. Microphone & wiring

I'm still a little stuck here, primarily because I don't have spare pins for the connector in the back of the head unit, which are required...

The microphone can be ordered from Land Rover, part number XVC000050, about £36

Click image to enlarge

It's only 2 wires that run back to the head unit, but there is a 3rd wire in the loom, actually a shield. Three connections made into the grey connector.

See the wiring.

Click image to enlarge

The diagram says there is a 2nd join in the loom, but you can see from the pic of the complete kit, and the Installation Instructions, it's only a single loom that goes between the mic and the head unit.

Problem right now is getting the right pins to go into that connector. The plastic connector itself is available from Land Rover, but they write it up as "not serviceable" so there are no pre-terminated pins available for it. I do have a small collection of Jag connectors but based on the pic from the instructions, not with those pins...

Click image to enlarge

I'll keep looking for those ones... must surely be the same ones used in another Jag or Land Rover connector somewhere...

5. Steering wheel control

Well these turn up on ebay every now and then, also the ones from the Range Rover Sport. The FL2 has a different part number to the RRS ones, so i don't know if they are really compatible or not. Electronically yes i'm sure but the mounting could possibly be different...

The FL2 control switches with radio and phone is around £53+VAT, you might get lucky on ebay cheaper. But the phone will still work without the steering wheel control, you just need to press the Phone button next to the radio instead.

So that's it.

If my kit doesn't turn up soon, this is what i'll be doing instead... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #269607 15th Jul 2015 7:57 am
Cambo

Kit finally turned up. And there's some good news, the pins turn out to be identical to a connector out of a Jag X-Type.

So anyone wanting to make one of these kits up, it's quite easy in the end.

Power cable to the phone module, epic over-engineering

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The plugs which you won't need, just hard-wire

Click image to enlarge

MOST fiber-optic cable, which you could make your own with just one of those loop pieces.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The microphone lead is 3.5m long

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The pins to the back of the radio

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Same as the ones I got from this Jag X-Type connector

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The microphone connector I haven't been able to find, but you could snip it off and put whatever you want there really.

Click image to enlarge

Steering wheel control part number.

So my plan, once the car is in front of me again, is to fit it all up and then try re-flashing the phone module with a newer firmware version. This one I got is 7G9N-10D893-AA 20070208, will try the latest version of that number, I guess -AG or if something higher exists. Might also try the AX23-10F845-AA file as well... you never know... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #270923 28th Jul 2015 3:54 am
Cambo

Kit is installed and works perfectly with my iPhone 6. Cool

Few little tricks & traps to deal with though. Fitting the module in the boot with the wiring from the kit was straight forward. And as it turns out my car already had the microphone cable pre-wired to the roof console. Only tricky part was activating the phone module, the CCF needs editing, in 3 places... took me just as long to get the CCF right as to do the physical install....

No pics of fitting the module in the boot, it's pretty straight forward anyhow.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Cut the slot in the steering wheel cover, using the template that comes in the installation manual. I took my time with this and went through three templates, to get it just right. Used a Dremel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Looks like it was meant to be there...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Getting the roof console out was not so easy. It was damn tight. But lo & behold, the wiring for the microphone is already there....so I didn't need that loom from the kit.

Click image to enlarge

This metal frame is actually attached to the roof lining. It came out with the console and was badly bent in the process. Had to straighten it out and re-fit it before putting the console back in.

And then trying to get the thing working...

In the CCF there are two options for bluetooth, you need to activate both. And there is also a setting to turn the microphone on/off. Took a while to figure it out, but got there in the end.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In the process of trying to work out why the module wouldn't activate, I reflashed the entire Audio system. The SDD said there were updates available for all the modules, so why not.

After getting the CCF right everything was working. Had to delete the pairing of the previous owners phone, and then paired mine...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And it's working.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It automatically uploads the phone book and call history from the phone, which is nice, and you get your own ringtone through the system as well.

I just priced up the parts needed new from a UK supplier, LR002775 install kit & LR027985 phone module, an eye-watering $1333 AUD (or £625 + VAT = £750) so god only knows what local dealers here in Australia would charged, plus install costs... Laughing

Between buying the install kit NOS from Canada at a reasonable, & picking up a 2nd hand module off eBay, this cost about a 3rd of the retail.

And if I had to do it again, the install kit could be put together for peanuts... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #271013 29th Jul 2015 3:20 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Great write up! Im sure many will appreciate it Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #271036 29th Jul 2015 11:40 am
Badger51

Australia 

Couldn't agree more..a great piece of work Thumbs Up (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #271049 29th Jul 2015 12:52 pm
Cambo

Celebration may be short lived... Rolling Eyes

Incoming call reception is fine, but from the other end the signal is "choppy" for want of a better word.

The start of each spoken word is cut off a little, and it cuts in/out mid word sometimes too.

Guess this is the "crappiness" some people reported with the earlier phone units...

When I reflashed the modules it didn't jump up very high in number, actually went from -AA to -AB only.

Suspect a later module is going to be needed after all... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #271136 30th Jul 2015 7:45 am
Cambo

Well I seem to have solved the issue.

It was related to the CCF, I had selected "with microphone" in the CCF thinking that was the way to do it, seems it was not... set it back to "without microphone" and for whatever reason it's fine now.

Strange but there you go... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #271761 5th Aug 2015 7:31 am
Badger51

Australia 

Thumbs Up (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #271769 5th Aug 2015 8:30 am
willy 974

France 2014 Freelander 2 eD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Hello I have a Freelander 2013 with the Meridian sound system but without the bluetooth is that it is possible to add the same with this kit?
Thank you

Post #273213 20th Aug 2015 6:55 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

It's a very good question and I'm not sure of the answer but I can tell you that the system in your vehicle is completely different to the system covered in this topic so I doubt the kit here would fit!
I can confirm the Bluetooth module is in a completely different location and the steering wheel controls also are different.
Anything is possible, you may need to start investigating.
Topix is a good start and learn location of modules and wiring schematics and take it from there.
Try asking LR parts if there's a retrofit kit available. Thumbs Up MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #273214 20th Aug 2015 7:07 am
Cambo

I'll have to take Stuarts advice here regarding the later Meridian equipped vehicles, the online parts catalogues seem to miss the latest models, and unfortunately the December 2014 version of the LR Microcat I have seems to have locked itself and I can't check the parts needed.

But what I will say is that IF there was a factory option and it's missing from your car, then absolutely 100% it can be retrofitted, it's only a matter of identifying the right parts and the wiring. It may not be the same parts shown in this thread though, more investigation needed. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #273237 20th Aug 2015 2:25 pm
willy 974

thank you there is nothing on the new models I 'll keep looking

Post #273487 23rd Aug 2015 2:52 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

If you go into Topix and enter your Vin number and subscribe to the electrical schematics you will be able to locate the Bluetooth module and relevant systems. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #273490 23rd Aug 2015 3:18 pm
willy 974

Thank you

Post #273494 23rd Aug 2015 4:51 pm
Cambo

It seems that the online "Microcat" websites do not have the latest information in there.

And unfortunately my Dec 2014 Microcat expired on the laptop it was setup on and i'll have to wipe it and re-install it to check for the 2014/2015 vehicle parts... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #273534 24th Aug 2015 2:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>