Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 : WRONG YEAR GIVEN IN 1ST POSTING. ITS 2010.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DPJ

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey
Freelander 2 : WRONG YEAR GIVEN IN 1ST POSTING. ITS 2010.

SORRY FIRST POST GAVE WRONG YEAR. SHE IS A 2010 WITH TYPE 4 HALDEX

I have an FL2 2010, auto. I had a large bang and then on a regular clonk from the N/S rear of my FL when I pulled away from a junction. The local LR dealer diagnosed it as the Haldex. but at nearly £3k quoted by them I decided to look around. I found a new genuine Haldex and had it installed (with the correct oil) for about 1/5 of that cost). The noise was the same so the diagnosis was wrong. They next suggested the rear Diff. As an engineer myself I could hear the noise (using chassis microphones) to be cyclic i.e. about 3 clonk clonks and then quieter and then 3 knocks again. The faster I went, particularly round a LH bend the faster. It sounded like it could be a damaged tooth on the Diff. crown wheel and every time the damaged area comes up to the Pinion gear we get the noise. New Diff fitted and noise still there and old one looks perfect inside as does the old Haldex. Rear shafts changed over left to right etc and noise did not transfer with it. Different LR dealer now suggests it could be the IRD !! Not so noisy on RH bend and very little noise dead ahead and and noise reduces if Heldex unit disconnected electrically. Haldex ECU was updated and appears to be OK. How can I stop this noise and haemorrhaging of costs. Love the car, but fast loosing confidence in LR. I do have a fully functioning Haldex and Diff for sale now it proven to NOT be the problem.
Please!, any serious ideas considered.

Post #263431 11th May 2015 3:14 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Wheel bearings? I had the rear diff noise, had the diff bearing and xfer box replaced which fixed it then a week or so later the noise came back and this time it was a wheel bearing. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #263449 11th May 2015 4:58 pm
DPJ

dorsetfreelander response to FL2 rear end knock

To dorsetfreelander. thanks for your response. Was this the front or rear wheel bearing. the noise sounds like its coming from the NS rear but is really only noisy on left hand bends and not as much on RH bends, so did at one time assume it was front end bearings/hubs. I have some chassis/engine earphones so will have a listen.

Post #263450 11th May 2015 5:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Mine was driver side rear but it didn't make much difference going round corners. I have had this on small Renault Clios and Meganes and the difference going around corners with those was much more noticeable. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #263451 11th May 2015 5:11 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

You would have thought these garages might be a bit more certain about the cause rather than just guessing, oh its this £1000, no its not must be this £500 and before youve done youve renewed the whole car for the sake of a trapped stone in the hub, and the best about it is when they are wrong they dont give you a refund do they?
Anyone can guess but when that guess costs thousands and its not correct its not really on is it??

What they should do if they are wrong is give you your money back, if it was like that in reality you can bet they would certainly make sure they were right before replacing anything.

Post #263549 12th May 2015 3:23 pm
DPJ

I have done better than rebuild the car, I have sold in on back into the trade, let them sort it. No longer a Land Rover owner. Some regrets but the way Dealer treat you as you car gets up to the 5 year old stage is disgusting. Now deleting my Freely contact, thanks for your comments.

Post #264516 22nd May 2015 12:45 pm
DPJ

I have a "USED" Haldex and a "USED" rear diff that have proven NOT to be defective as the new bits fitted made no difference to my tech problem but we now suspect the front diff has a problem. Offers in excess of £125 each buyer collect or arranges shipping. For Freelander 2 2010 vintage only 50000 on the clock.

Post #264517 22nd May 2015 12:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1