« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Renewing Extended Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Renewing Extended Warranty

Hi folks. Been flip flopping over getting rid of my FL2 as it has been a bit problematic but thankfully under extended warranty until next month.

I am currently on the "keeping it as it may have no more issues" view and would have to spend more money on a replacement.

However if I keep it, I would want another years warranty. LR wrote to me with a renewal quote of £550 for the year. That seems reasonable. Does anyone have any experience of the LR extended vs a third party warranty? My only concern with the LR one was in the literature it said "operational noises" are not covered. No idea what an operational noise is. My transfer box was faulty due to it making a noise and was repaired under warranty. Don't know if that would apply second time round...

Cheers all. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #264078 18th May 2015 9:14 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I am now on my second year of a LR extended warranty. Last year I had an engine oil leak (from the crank seal in the timing cover) and a vibration (which turned out to be a Haldex software issue). Both were repaired under the warranty by Duckworths Market Rasen. No hassle, no cost, loan car free as well. Thumbs Up More recently I had an erratic fuel guage which turned out to be a sender unit fault. The warranty company (Car Care) would not cover it as it was a "known issue". LRCS paid the bill. Free loaner again too Thumbs Up

Had similar no quibble experience with VW branded extended warranty when I had a VW Passat.

Not had experience of Warranty Wise or others, but from what I have heard I would not touch them with the proverbial barge pole!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #264083 18th May 2015 9:55 am
Chuckalicious

Thanks for the reply. Certainly I have no complaints about the LR warranty. Annoyingly I cant find the paperwork they sent so called their number to ask about renewing and the cheapest quote was £640! That's £90 more than the paperwork quoted. Bit annoying. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #264098 18th May 2015 11:47 am
dunkley201

Mine went up this year to £795 Shocked I guess it rises as the car ages..... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #264099 18th May 2015 12:18 pm
Chuckalicious

I would expect that, but mine went up for the same renewal. Only difference was one quote was over the phone and the other was on paper (which I cant find...) Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #264100 18th May 2015 12:19 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I suppose £500 is a bargain if something goes wrong but a bit expensive if it doesnt??

Post #264109 18th May 2015 1:34 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

dunkley201 wrote:
Mine went up this year to £795 Shocked I guess it rises as the car ages.....

I suppose it eventually gets up to 30 grand when they hope you will get the message and buy a new Evoque? Shocked

Post #264110 18th May 2015 1:36 pm
dunkley201

Difficult to price peace of mind I suppose. If it climbs much more I will take the risk! Whistle 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #264130 18th May 2015 4:55 pm
gingerlord

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Indus Silver

Just renewed ours online through the form, £64 for the full one for 10 months (for a years cover). Nearly went for the "Select" one but its wording in a few key areas seemed a bit ambiguous as though it wouldn't cover typical FL2 issues like the clutch/dmf or Haldex stuff. Also it was limited to 25k per year and £3k per part/claim and didn't cover "consequential damage"

Post #264131 18th May 2015 5:09 pm
Chuckalicious

Ah interesting - I was looking at the select one. Did you extend your extended warranty or were you going from the 3 year manufacturers one? If you were extending an extended warranty, what site did you use? I tried from LR website but it seemed to be only for new extended wareanties for 3 year old cars. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #264139 18th May 2015 6:17 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We had an earlier Porsche from an independent dealer with a Warranty Direct for about £800 a year and it was a bit of a nightmare, we had a front radiator fan pack up. We had to guarantee to pay for a couple of hours work to get to the fan and then wait for someone to come and check it it had actually failed. They did pay up but if the fault had been somewhere else they wouldn't have paid for the preparatory work to get to the fan. We then had to pay the first £50 of the claim. Subsequently there was a problem with the pop up headlamp washers (xenon headlights) and they wouldn't pay for that. I am now a firm believer in getting a manufacturers warranty and sticking with my dealer, it might be expensive but I sleep better. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #264142 18th May 2015 6:43 pm
TonyJ

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Extended Warranty on my 2008 FL2 has remained at £550 excluding breakdown cover, which my wife I have through Green Flag for any vehicle.

I have had two occasions to claim, one for a leaking sump and the second when the airbag warning light was on, which was claimed under the MOT failure clause. Dealer rings them up, gets authorisation and the job done. It may seem a lot to pay out if nothing is needed, but in the big picture it is considerably less than you would be paying on a new car. Remember there are never problems, just new challenges

Post #264319 20th May 2015 2:41 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Ive just set up a warrantywise policy, covers pretty much everything for £596 for 13 months. Wont know how good they are until I have to put a claim in.

Post #264320 20th May 2015 2:48 pm
Chuckalicious

Thanks for all the replies. Think I will stick with the LR one - they have been excellent every time I have used them so assuming I need them again I will be happy knowing how they normally operate.

Bloomin expensive but every repair I have had done this year would have cost more than the warranty. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #264327 20th May 2015 4:34 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thats my way of thinking, I didnt bother with the (non LR) main dealer warranty that was offered with mine, just took the 30 day free one. Thank god I didnt as I when I took it back to them after 2 weeks with a dodgy handbrake it recently failed again and was found to have been assembled back to front and the cable twisted to take up slack somehow !!!

With having a POSSIBLE DMF failure, ive taken the warranty wise as they cover the DMF & clutch complete. It may cost me £596 + £100 excess but im able to spread that cost interest free and its still half what LR charge to replace it. Its being indy serviced in 10 days so will find out then.

Post #264376 21st May 2015 8:09 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>