Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Unbelievable Fuel Comsumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
Tractor fuel is dyed red to identify it, It is not subsidised, it receives a much lower rate of duty than road fuelI might add that the customs and excise vans are frequently at agricultural events to test the fuel in car tanks to make sure farmers and their friends arn't pouring the cheap stuff into their cars.

CG wouldnt do a thing like that I guess Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #25302 7th Aug 2008 10:20 am
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

In the good old days Landrovers had a telescopic filler tube the inner tube being pulled up to allow easier filling.it was a simple job to solder a plate over the bottom of the inner tube , fill the tank with red and fill the now water/fuel tight filler tube with normal diesel. If you get your tank dipped it always looked like derv
So I'm told anyway Whistle

Post #25308 7th Aug 2008 11:21 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

'C and 'E got wise to sly tricks and now take their fuel sample from the engine fuel filter if they are suspicious Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #25309 7th Aug 2008 11:29 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
the other end of the scale ....

npinks wrote:
So Simple wrote:
Have noticed that as soon as you go over 80mph, consumption jumps dramatically but that 6th gear is awesome!

I knew there was a reason i only get 32mpg on long runs Whistle

OK, I can now report some really low mpgs ....

Managed our early morning start for the trip to Cornwall (avec caravan), on the road just before 4am yesterday!

Decided to make the most of the clear motorway at that time of day and get as many miles covered as quick as possible ... completed the first 140 miles M6 then M5 and pulled into service for a break, to that point I'd kept to at least 60 all the time, with a couple (eehmm!!) excursions to slightly higher speeds, when I checked the ave mpg's on the computer it was 21.9 Big Cry I knew it was going to be poor because the fuel gauge was already down towards half.

Having got ourselves a good start I eased off to 55-60 for rest of the motorway journey. Total journey was 323 miles arriving on site a 11.40am, so the plan for an early start and clear journey worked a treat. Even had to wait while the previous occupants of our pitch moved off and the groundsman mowed the grass.

Now here's the bit that will make NP and the other caravaners chuckle, no sooner had we got access to the pitch and the heavens opened, so had to position, level and set the awning up ... the rain !!!! Having bought a full sized awning years ago, we've only ever used it once, preferring to use a porch awning ever since. This trip we decided that we'd go for the full size, so having only used it once (3 years+ ago) it was fun remembering how it all went together.

Ooops, drifting off topic now .... so Avtur posts a poor consumption at last Thumbs Up

Post #25348 8th Aug 2008 12:35 pm
chicken george

Re: the other end of the scale ....

avtur wrote:
ave mpg's on the computer it was 21.9 Big Cry No sooner had we got access to the pitch and the heavens opened, so had to position, level and set the awning up ... the rain !!!!

You didn't put that in your 'joys of caravaning' thread did you now Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I hope the weather improves for you though , wet holidays are so frustrating Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

Post #25353 8th Aug 2008 12:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

21.9 mpg is what i got going to Clumber Park, that included the start of the journey through the village etc, on the way back I got a avg 25.9mpg which is what i got on previous journeys.

The Awning erecting in the rain, know it well. Rolling Eyes

Come the end of the holiday you'll have the shall i take it down today, just in case it rains again, only to find

1) if you don't it will rain Sad
2)If you do it won't rain Very Happy

Enjoy your stay & have fun Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25361 8th Aug 2008 2:18 pm
chicken george

CG's tractor control panel , its simple stuff really 20 gears in 5 ranges of 4 ..with auto shifting between the four gears in each range. To change ranges a button on the gearstick acts as the clutch if your too lazy to use the foot clutch. A little stalk on the steering column lets you select either forward or reverse in each gear so you have 20 reverse gears too Shocked
The little screen lets you adjust the shifting pattern of the auto box, suspension ride height and damping levels and silly things like which of the 14 spot lights you want to stay on for a while after you get out of the cab in the dark at the end of the day

At work
At home

Post #25392 8th Aug 2008 10:40 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

am i the only one who wants to come round and have a play in your tractor now Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25393 8th Aug 2008 11:05 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

No you're not Embarassed

Post #25397 9th Aug 2008 6:22 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

CG its over to you now Idea
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25399 9th Aug 2008 9:25 am
chicken george

No vaners in my tractor Rolling with laughter . Anyway 35 mph would scare you tin snailers to death

Mrs G's townie friends came over last weekend so I had them driving the tractor , digger and skidsteer loader around , they never stopped talking about it all day Laughing

you can drive a digger here http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/skidsteer-sim/skidsteer.htm At work
At home

Post #25400 9th Aug 2008 10:47 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

At least our tintents fit on the road Mad

and thats just the front end of the harvester the other part was behind me taking up the whole road Shocked

All due respect he did pull over to let me past, just like me in my caravan Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25403 9th Aug 2008 12:56 pm
chicken george

A familiar sight this year, a combine harvester returning home from the fields because it has rained again Evil or Very Mad

I've harvested about 80% of my oilseed rape,should have been finished 2 weeks ago. Still got all the wheat to harvest Sad

So don't mess with farmers this year we are all running on very short fuses Laughing .... any caravans that get in the way of our tractors on a good harvesting days are likely to be flattened
Rolling with laughter

Don't forget the roads run through our fields so we have the right of way Wink At work
At home

Post #25405 9th Aug 2008 2:36 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

so, there's more to CG than his chickens .....

The toys on a farm are something else. We have friends in the USA, they have a small farm, 2000 acres all sown to crops, which they manage very easily because they have machines like this to play with. $ millions of toys I spent a couple of days on the farm while the girls went shopping, it was great.

Post #25436 10th Aug 2008 8:15 pm
techauthorbob

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Narvik Black
mileage 'n fings

With about 17k on the clock I am getting 27 - 30 around town and 42-44 on a run.
Round us we have BIG trailers with loads of round hay bales on - don't know what weight but they SURE don't like being held up, can't say I blame them given the few dry days we have now.
ps did you know that Francis Drake only used those small wooden ships because he got 60 to the galleon!

Post #25969 21st Aug 2008 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>