Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > DIY roof rails - how easy to fit ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
DIY roof rails - how easy to fit ?

Ive got a Thule roof bar set but the rear bar only goes as far back as the rear door. I think the cross bar on a roof rail can be set even further back for longer loads.
How easy is it to fit OEM roof rails to the FL2.
Ive searched and found a few threads but all the pics have been deleted.
Does the interior head lining need to be removed?
Or can it be done entirely from outside the car ?
Does the OEM roof rail make much noise (I see it has a cross bar as part of the assembly) ?

My FLS does not have a sunroof. Jules

Post #261854 26th Apr 2015 10:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Found several you tube videos - looks easy to do. Jules

Post #261855 26th Apr 2015 10:13 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

OEM roof rails are easily fitted, no special tools, and a couple of easy holes to drill in the plastic root gully covers.
hardest part is removing the plastic hole plugs - they stick and break off occasionally.
allow 1+ hr 

Post #261856 26th Apr 2015 10:27 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

There is a thread on installing LR rails.

The plastic plugs are easy to remove. Drill 2 small holes either side, you don't even have to drill though, just deep enough so the ends of a pair of pointy nosed pliers will key into the holes so you can unscrew the plastic cap. If you do it this way it takes longer to drill the holes than unscrew the caps.

Get the correct size socket spanner for the front fitting. It's not worth bugg--ing up your car for the sake of a socket spanner.

I put some Galmet (galvanise paint) on the bare metal. Let it dry for 24 hours. Also used some Sikaflex Auto car body sealant, bar code '4 520524 050900' to seal the fittings. You only need a bit so a whole tube is a waste, but what can one do. Unless someone else knows of a different product.

Screw the cross brace to the rails first, but not completely tight. Lift the whole setup onto the roof. Some towels on the roof to protect the bodywork makes it a bit easier if you can't line up the rails first go.

It's not difficult, but being patient makes all the difference. Get the tools you need if you don't have them.

I have noticed a few Freelanders with the rear cover plate missing from the rails. I have the rear roof rack bar clamped on at the back of the rail so it also clamps the cover plate as well (about a third width of the clamp) so the cover doesn't fall off the car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #261875 27th Apr 2015 8:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1