Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Xenon Lights- They shine better but what about looks?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nikolas_cy

Cyprus 
Xenon Lights- They shine better but what about looks?

We all know that Xenon headlights illuminate far better and are more efficient.

What about their looks? We all know that a BMW with Xenons is 1000 times better looking than one without. Perhaps it's the halo effect.
Idea
What about the freelander?

Is there an obvious difference in the car's presentation and looks when installing the Xenons?

Can you tell the difference of an FL2 with Xenons and one without?

Post #23794 7th Jul 2008 7:01 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It is without doubt the far better effect of the Xenons that is important and I can’t quite see what appearance has to do with it at all Surprised . In any case it’s only other drivers that see them when you’re driving so why on earth do you care what they see Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23795 7th Jul 2008 7:14 am
nikolas_cy

Cyprus 

What I am just trying to say is that this

looks much better than having just the normal halogen lights on the BMW.
I was just wondering as to whether the effect is primarily due to the design of the headlight or the effect of the Xenon lighting. Is there a difference on the look of the car in the freelander's case?

Andy, I think the appearance of the car is quite important Wink and if the xenon lights do add to the car's appearance (beyond better lighting and illumination) perhaps it is an extra attribute to consider when selecting them as an extra.

What do you mean it is only other drivers that see them? It is only other drivers that see the entire exterior of the car! Does that mean we should not care about its appearance?
Regards Very Happy

[/img]

Post #23796 7th Jul 2008 7:45 am
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

There are a set of FL2 Xenons on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...amp;ih=010

If it is the same as the D3 they will be a plug-n-play easy upgrade from Halogens Thumbs Up

Post #23799 7th Jul 2008 8:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

It doesnt matter what they look like.....they are Fantastic to drive with.....get them '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #23801 7th Jul 2008 8:27 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Anyone considering the ebay ones should check to see if the ballasts are included or even built into the light unit as a unit with no ballasts will not plug and play. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #23802 7th Jul 2008 8:33 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Hi nikolas_cy - I realise what you are saying, I was trying to be a bit sarcastic I suppose Neutral sorry Bow down

My last car was a BMW with Xenons and my FL2 has Xenons and I wouldn’t have anything else these days, as they give far superior light than normal lights. If Xenons did not give better light I certainly wouldn’t consider them for the sake of appearance. In fact I have not even looked on mine to see what they look like, but I don’t think they have the BMW doughnut look. However in the long dark winters we get in Norway they are much brighter than normal lights that’s for sure Thumbs Up .

The photo you sent illustrates an unlawfully use of lighting here in Norway, and if we use fogs/spots the driving lights must be turned off although parking lights can stay on. So on a BMW it would be 4-doughnuts and two fogs/spots, or for normal use 2-dougnuts and 2 Xenons (no fogs/spots).

I do think the appearance of the car is important otherwise I would not have chosen the FL2 for my use, and the first thing I did was to swap the orange side indicators for clear ones (among other things). However as earlier mentioned, I did not consider the appearance of the FL2 Xenons when choosing this option, as it was the functionality that was important when I made the choice. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23810 7th Jul 2008 9:08 am
nikolas_cy

Cyprus 

Thumbs Up
I see what you are saying Andy. Thanks for the feedback...

I guess here in Cyprus (we don't get too dark winters) they are not so essential apart from driving in unlit freeways during night time. I guess the best way to go is order an FL2 without and then add some as an aftermarket modification which is cheaper. Thumbs Up

Regarding the ebay ones, they look like a good deal but since i haven't even placed the order for my FL2 yet (will do some time in August) I guess it might be wiser to wait for the car before I get the additional goodies Embarassed

Post #23811 7th Jul 2008 9:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i personally think the Halo BMW don't look good

There has been people who have pimped the RRS to give it 'halo's' but why would they want a RRS/FL2 to look like a BMW Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23812 7th Jul 2008 9:27 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Do the Xenons require a self-levelling sensor module? Phil

Post #23821 7th Jul 2008 10:58 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

phil_wkl wrote:
Do the Xenons require a self-levelling sensor module?

If an OEM fit, yes,

If aftermarket, No.....go figure! '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #23826 7th Jul 2008 11:14 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

isn't it illegal then? as in it won't pass the MOT Phil

Post #23831 7th Jul 2008 11:49 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I think phil is correct xenons always need auto level and headlight washers At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #23833 7th Jul 2008 11:54 am
chris@scears.com

Xenon lights are much brighter than nomal lights, another advantage is the long life of these units, compaired with the conventional H7 bulbs!
Power consumption is far less too, emitting less heat. Thumbs Up

Post #23872 7th Jul 2008 5:23 pm
mackayzer

United Kingdom 2007 LR2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black
xenon lights

Decided to have the xenon lights in place of metalic paint (cheapskate I know but its the wifes car only doing 3,000 miles p.a. and my toy for the weekend Very Happy ) The lights make a massive difference during night time driving especially during winter months. As they have a lower power consumption there is less load on the engine so theoretically more mpg should be attainable....ah the greens should be delighted Bow down
Now I have opted out from my company car and I drive the FL2 almost every day I have noticed when the Xenon lights are on less people pull out of junctions as often as they would in my VW with halogen lights so I think they are safer in that respect Whistle

--------------------------------------------------
FL2 GS, Xenon, Java Black, Chrome mirror (about to be waxed including the wheels later today Mr. Green

Post #24495 20th Jul 2008 10:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>