« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > SAT NAV Co-ordinates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue
SAT NAV Co-ordinates

Can anyone explain why the Latitude/Longitude co-ordinates given by my hand held Garmin or converted from OS grid, when fed into the destination of Emilys Sat Nav seems to give me a 'destination' which is about 10 miles NNW out. I always thought the Equator and the Grenwich Meridian were datums for Lat/Long, as somebody moved them?
Before somebody suggests this is a function of excess G&Ts let me deny touching a drop, its just a desire to travel to points where post codes do not apply. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #23695 5th Jul 2008 8:38 pm
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I have given this a great deal of thought, referred to my astrology books, looked to the stars and to be honest..........I haven't got a clue Confused FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #23696 5th Jul 2008 8:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had this, and thought i was putting them in wrong as the "destination" was well out

Gave up and used the post code Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23703 5th Jul 2008 9:13 pm
john

Canada 

Check that both systems are set up to the same local geographic coordinate system (DATUM)ie British Ordinance
if one is on NAD and the other is on EURO or universal you will be out by miles kms or whole degrees
The LR 2 GPS is ok but they put a cheap gps receiver antennna in it --not equal to toyotas prius reciever which seems as good as some of Garmins low end Survey engineers GPS--- and is relatively slow at giving a position fix as a result.
At least you can do some of your own GPS updates in LR2 though unlike Toyota 4x4's and skis

Post #23708 6th Jul 2008 3:59 am
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Sorted! Freeda II (thanks Gambba) is calibrated lat/long in degrees minutes and seconds. I didnt know there was another way! I had been given a set of co-ordinates which were a decimal of degrees to 4 decimal places leading me to load them as D.M.S,s giving giving accuracy only to some spurious nautical mile. This was compounded by me changing the default on my hand held mapping Garmin from OS GB Grid to decimal degrees i.e 1/60th giving my house a position in the middle of the cut.
So be carefull of your units (thats another G&T please) and to convert from decimal to M.S,s multiply by 60 and vica verci still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #23887 7th Jul 2008 10:00 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
Sorted! Freeda II (thanks Gambba) is calibrated lat/long in degrees minutes and seconds. I didnt know there was another way! I had been given a set of co-ordinates which were a decimal of degrees to 4 decimal places leading me to load them as D.M.S,s giving giving accuracy only to some spurious nautical mile. This was compounded by me changing the default on my hand held mapping Garmin from OS GB Grid to decimal degrees i.e 1/60th giving my house a position in the middle of the cut.
So be carefull of your units (thats another G&T please) and to convert from decimal to M.S,s multiply by 60 and vica verci

___
Just purchased a Jan 08 SE diesl auto and was asked to officiate on thr Quinton Stages Rally on the Eypnt ranges in South Wales so entered the co ordinates and got answer "No Data" so reverted to the TomTom 520 and it directed me right to the RV and shows all the FC and Army private roads.

Bill Turner MSA radio call sign Wallasey 1 Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #23932 8th Jul 2008 2:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1