« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Newcomer - initial impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chelsea T

United Kingdom 
Newcomer - initial impressions

I'm about 3 weeks into ownership of a 14 HSE having lurked here for a bit, picking up invaluable tips, before buying.

The purchase was a bit sudden due to a leg injury which made it painfully uncomfortable to drive my Audi estate, but that's another story.

I'm not new to Land Rovers having owned a D2 then a D3, and done some competition in Defenders. I did approach Freelander ownership with a bit of trepidation as I had a, admittedly long legged, FL1 as a courtesy car a few years ago and thought it was dire. However, I needn't have worried as I'm really impressed with how far they've developed it into the one I've got.

So the impressions so far;

+
Size - just right for me now that kids have almost flown
Refinement
Meridian sound system - superb
Pace - although the engine note is a little van like, it's got plenty enough power for it's handling

-
Headlights - heading for the Osram catalogue I think as in standard set up they're not good for murky winter B roads
Storage - where do you guys put everything? Even the glovebox is only big enough for, well, a pair of thick gloves. I really liked the overhead storage I used to get in the D2 and never understand why they stopped doing it. I have my eye on a pair of map nets for the footwell to start with.
Lack of ambient lights - don't understand why all manufacturers don't fit them and really miss them now I've got used to them. Easy to fit though.

2 bits of advice please;
I need a towbar and plan to fit a Westfalia bar but use the genuine twin electrics as I think they're plug and play. Please can someone confirm that when fitted i don't need a dealer bill for programming?
How do I stop the power fold mirrors from folding every time I lock it? They're driving me mad. I've looked through the handbook and all the settings.

Thanks all for help so far and looking forward to giving something back at some point.

Post #252760 11th Feb 2015 11:22 pm
EYorkshire

From 2013MY onwards the dedicated looms are plug and play, no dealer visit.
Your mirrors if you want them out permanently, press both buttons to fold then grab hold of them and pull to open position, they will then stay open all the time until you next press both buttons.

Post #252767 11th Feb 2015 11:44 pm
Chelsea T

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply. I saw that advise re the mirrors and have tried it. Locked the vehicle so both mirrors are in, pulled them both out, but next time I locked it they both folded again. Does it only work if you fold them with the 2 buttons?

Post #252768 11th Feb 2015 11:51 pm
EYorkshire

Only by the buttons, press both together, let them fold, go outside and open them by hand. Next time you lock they should stay open and stay that way until use of the buttons again

Post #252771 12th Feb 2015 12:18 am
Chelsea T

United Kingdom 

Thanks Mr Yorkshire. Tried it with the mirrors and it worked.

Post #252848 12th Feb 2015 6:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1