Home > Off Topic > thinking of going to the dark side and getting a X3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
thinking of going to the dark side and getting a X3

and getting a BMW X3.

Cheaper to run, and I spend minimal time off road now.

Just no heated windscreen Sad, and the extras cost soo much

has anyone had a X3 (2013/2014), would be interested in some feedback. 

Post #249896 22nd Jan 2015 10:56 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I'm sure Shilen will reply soon Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 23rd Jan 2015 12:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #249897 22nd Jan 2015 10:58 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I was thinking the same last year x3 or a Q5 with the Audi being the best bet for discount, with family being in the main dealer trade, but I find them so soulless so ended up buying the same model twice which I've never done before but with no regrets. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #249901 22nd Jan 2015 11:15 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

'If only X3 did not look like constipated duck from the rear' Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #249914 23rd Jan 2015 6:22 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

fill a big bucket with water and fully immerse your head in it, after 5 minutes you will have made your mind up about the X3 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #249927 23rd Jan 2015 9:54 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

cold,ice cold or lukewarm CG Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #249931 23rd Jan 2015 11:02 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Having read Shilens posts re his x3, I think you are making a good choice. Let's be honest, very few f us use these cars off road and the x3 will happily get you through the winter months. The reviews are all pretty good too aong with the running costs. Good luck pcheaven Thumbs Up

Post #249932 23rd Jan 2015 11:21 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

AHEM!! Bow down

I just love it on this forum when someone mentions 'X3', it doesn't take long for the insults to begin Laughing

I have listed a few things below but if there is anything particular you would like to know then let me know.

Faults
12,500 miles and 10 months old and nothing has gone wrong

Looks
I know its in the eye of the beholder but I think the X3 looks better than the FL2 albeit I still love the front of the FL2 and the huge grille. With regard to the comment that the X3 rear looks like a constipated duck makes me laugh as I think the FL2 rear looks cheap and nasty with its bolt on spoiler and bolt on chrome arse piece

Economy
Superb thats the only word for it, my old FL2 rarely saw 40mpg going downhill, the X3 easily manages this, quite often I see 50mpg and once got 54.5mpg on a 200 mile run, even city driving I get high 30's

Comfort
Very good, sports seats have huge side bolsters and a pop out section at the front and are very comfy, rear seats are alot more comfy than the FL2, only slight negative is that the msport suspension is a little firm compared to the FL2.

Space
The X3 is longer than the FL2 (probably similar in size to the DS) and so benefits from a huge boot, rear leg space is excellent

Equipment
The only drawback of BMW ownership, if you want something you have to trawl the options list although leather is standard and on the 2015 models so are satnav and electric boot. HOWEVER I loaded my X3 with panoramic SUNROOF (not a piece of pointless unmovable glass like in the DS), electric boot, satnav (which includes internet), heated seats (front and rear), heating steering wheel, auto box with paddles, msport pack, keyless entry and go, storage pack, xenons with LED angel lights and rear LED's and it still worked out cheaper than a FL2 Dynamic!!!

Quality
Superb, fit and finish top notch and material quality is excellent, no hard plastics - puts the FL2 to shame!

Spare Wheel
A deal breaker for some but the X3 doesnt come with a spare wheel nor is there space to put one, you don't even get a foam repair kit or a jack!!! BUT you do get a SOS switch next to the rear view mirror that connects you direct to BMW who will sort you out.

All and all I love my X3, would I have another - ABSOLUTELY!! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #249933 23rd Jan 2015 11:21 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if Shilen's post is correct, then it's a no brainer that the X3 is a far superior vehicle to the FL2, discounting the offroad abilities of course.

Iain

ps I now have the tears in each leather seat squab, which at 29,000 mls is just not acceptable for a £33K vehicle.

Last edited by iain cooper on 23rd Jan 2015 3:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #249965 23rd Jan 2015 3:22 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

thats what I am thinking - but if is also far more expensive ( and no heated front screen ) 

Post #249966 23rd Jan 2015 3:23 pm
Chatuge

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I run 2 x X5s (one a 2014 and one a 2012) as well as my FL2 (2011). I can guarantee you that you will have more problems with the BMW and their dealer network than you will with a LR dealer or car! Parts supply is absolutely APPALLING. My windscreen cracked on my 2014 X5 - took 8 months to get a replacement. My 2012 needed a new set of alloys as there is a known fault with the finish - they have now been on order 6 months. There are cars in our dealership that we use which have been out the back waiting parts for months - imagine how you'd feel with your £50K car sitting in a compound whilst they put you in one of their courtesy cars whilst they wait to get the parts!

I have had BMW's for 10 years and next time will be going for a RR Sport to replace each X5 as I can't be bothered with their pathetic excuses for parts supply! Head Office don't give a cr@p either! I've complained so much and all they do is offer you service credits to redeem at their garages! Ridiculous!

Running a car is more than whether its comfortable or nice. Yes those things are important but surely the ability to fix them is also incredibly important?

Post #249967 23rd Jan 2015 3:43 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

interesting post re BMW dealerships

Iain

Post #249968 23rd Jan 2015 3:46 pm
Aero_383

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Ipanema Sand

Aftersales service is certainly important to me, but as we know there are good and bad LR dealerships also. Not being able to get replacement parts would drive me crazy though.
My kids come to LR dealers every time I go...because the dealer gives them as much hot chocolate as they want and it's 'free' (ish). _________________
Gone - 2010 Rimini XS

Post #249970 23rd Jan 2015 4:12 pm
Chatuge

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My local dealer for BMW isn't too bad, but they get no backing from BMW head Office and when they escalate it goes quiet! And that's the experience I get as a well known client. Compare that to my experience of LR Dealer (Hardwoods Crawley) where they don't really know me from Adam but treat me REALLY well. I took the car in for a leaking rear brake light (out of warranty) and they didn't charge me as the guy said that it really didn't take them long at all. Its those small jobs that makes the world of difference.

Post #249973 23rd Jan 2015 4:23 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Chatuge wrote:
I run 2 x X5s (one a 2014 and one a 2012) as well as my FL2 (2011). I can guarantee you that you will have more problems with the BMW and their dealer network than you will with a LR dealer or car! Parts supply is absolutely APPALLING. My windscreen cracked on my 2014 X5 - took 8 months to get a replacement. My 2012 needed a new set of alloys as there is a known fault with the finish - they have now been on order 6 months. There are cars in our dealership that we use which have been out the back waiting parts for months - imagine how you'd feel with your £50K car sitting in a compound whilst they put you in one of their courtesy cars whilst they wait to get the parts!

I have had BMW's for 10 years and next time will be going for a RR Sport to replace each X5 as I can't be bothered with their pathetic excuses for parts supply! Head Office don't give a cr@p either! I've complained so much and all they do is offer you service credits to redeem at their garages! Ridiculous!

Running a car is more than whether its comfortable or nice. Yes those things are important but surely the ability to fix them is also incredibly important?

Interesting statement, I have colleagues at work with BMW's and also a couple of neighbours and not one complaint about part problems. As said, there are good and bad dealers.

Post #249974 23rd Jan 2015 4:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>