« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Crime pays ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 
Crime pays ...

A few months ago, 8am one morning, a van drove onto our courtyard, the two occupants then proceeded to nick a Karcher pressure washer from the unit opposite, the owner came out and gave chase, he pulled open their van door and lots of rubbish fell out. From this litter the police obtained DNA and caught the burglar.
In the meantime, the owners insurance company refused to pay out as the burglar had been caught and the courts would deal with it.
Yesterday he was up in court, I am not sure of any sentence but the owner of the pressure washer, which was worth £2,500 and was never recovered, has been given £100 in compensation to be paid by the burglar, how the hell does that work?

As you can imagine he's not very happy, insurance company have refused to pay out and he's left £2500 out of pocket.

Post #249190 17th Jan 2015 5:03 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I would say the insurance company should cough up as the item was never recovered ?

perhaps the Doctor will come along and throw some legal aspect into the situation.

Iain

ps crime does pay btw

Post #249193 17th Jan 2015 5:32 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Firstly, I didn't choose sentencing as an option when studying and that would no doubt have taught me more about how compensation is awarded by the courts. However, I have seen compensation awarded through my line of work and can say it is limited to smaller sums rather than the exact amount lost.

Personally, I don't buy the insurance company's get out excuse. If they are correct and can refuse the payout, then they must have an express term within the policy that states as such.

People have home insurance and they do pay out for valid claims when someone has been burgled, irrespective of whether or not the burglar has been caught and sentenced. Indeed, people who are victims of an assault can put a claim in to the CICA and they will receive a payout in due course. The payout will be reduced by whatever amount has already been awarded by the court in compensation (if any).

In short, have a word with the owner and ask him to check the policy documentation. It really is worth checking as there is a chance to fightback against the insurance company. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #249201 17th Jan 2015 6:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-vict...mpensation LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #249204 17th Jan 2015 6:43 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Just had my garage broken into - two cycles stolen ( chained to a wall clamp) - these replaced the three stolen from same garage 14 months ago - little chance of thumbing caught - both times n 11pm-6am - garage is app 5 feet from house !!!!
Ignorance company been great with me

Reason why I post is a) they hardly ever get caught b) when they do 'cost' to them makes it worthwhile !!!! 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #249205 17th Jan 2015 6:47 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

"If the court decides to order the offender to pay you compensation, it will be limited to what the offender can afford "

Ahhh....well that's nice.
Censored 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #249211 17th Jan 2015 7:01 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

^ With you on the rant but on the other hand, what would be the point in telling the offender to pay up for something you know full well he or she will never be able to afford.

I have often suggested that for every £1 they can't afford, they can have an extra day in prison Very Happy LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #249214 17th Jan 2015 7:13 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Tag them until they have paid their debts. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #249215 17th Jan 2015 7:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1