Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Electric Boost (PTC) Heater troubleshooting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alfapat

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

Did you ever resolve your issue with the PTC Heater, got a couple of ideas from this thread, like the plug and software reset , but have the same fault on 2008 model td4 - B10EA-14.

Post #401982 1st Jan 2021 4:28 pm
alfapat

a4c wrote:
So I finally had some time to look into this...

I got a second hand hand heater for �45 from fleabay. It was a bit hard to find the right part to start with because I was searching under the LR part number, but realised that the same heater was used in lots of other vehicles (mainly Volvos) and searched under the generic part number 6G9N-18D612-BA - after that I found quite a few for sale.

It took about an hour and a half to swap out the units, now that I know how to do it, I'd says its half an hours work.

A couple of notes in case anyone else has to swap theirs out at some stage...

1) Before even thinking about swapping it out, pull off the passengers side floor console extension and see if you can reach in and unplug the 3-wire control plug from the heater unit. Small hands would be a bonus. Spray a bit of WD40 into the plug and put it back. The reason I say this is because after I got my heater out I could see a bit of corrosion on the socket, but you cant see the socket till you get the heater out. I suspect my old heater is fine, but the corrosion on the socket was stopping it working (no visible damage to the heater and the resistance on the old & new ones was the same)

2) To take out the floor console so you can get to the heater:
- I didn't unhook the battery or pull the heater fuse and no harm done, but its probably good practice.
- Take out the terrain response switch (30 seconds work).
- Unscrew the 8 7mm bolts holding the console in place (4 front, 4 back).
- Unhook the handbrake gaitor from the floor console.
- Take the gearknob off (pull down where the gaiter meets the gearknob and it unclips easily, then you'll see how the knob itself comes off).
- Yank the handbrake up as hard as you can. I mean really yank it up as hard as you can - otherwise you won't get the console out without scratching the facia around your heater controls. Ask me how I know.
- The console can then be moved up and tilted back (no need to unplug the electrics at the back). Watch you don't scratch the ^&$%�* heater facia.

3) TOPIX says to unbolt the selector lever and remove it completely, but I just undid the 4 bolts holding it in place and pushed it to one side - it just squeezes past the end of the passengers seat. If you take it out you might have to recalibrate/adjust the selector cables.

4) The two heater ducts can be popped out/in again easily.

5) 2 screws and the heater then slides cleanly out

6) Back together, errors cleared with my IID tool (highly recommended - http://www.gap-diagnostic.com) and job done.

All in all its pretty simple and I now have heat about 30 seconds after starting the car - I suspect it was all just a bad connection tho.

Cheers

PS If anyone needs a replacement heater they can have my old one (99% sure its functional) for the postage cost, just drop me a PM.

Just squeezing in here as I have PTC code. I am about to check the above connection in the passenger side panel . Can anyone tell me why I cant see any 100amp fuse .If this has been removed why am I receiving this fault now , after three years ownership. I have power on the right plug under the heater so not a power issue there , but I see on one the threads that there is another feed, perhaps this is the culprit. Also, I don't seem to be able to register on TOPix to check for mod , so is there a secret there on registering .

Post #402041 2nd Jan 2021 1:45 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

It sounded like you were checking Fuse 16 in the passenger Fuse Box which is listed as empty, but the PTC fuse is listed as being in the Engine Bay Fuse Box. I went and had a look at mine and I don't appear to have it either, along with any of the fuses along the top? Confused

Click image to enlarge

(my relays on the left look like someone gave them a hard time too at some point!) Evil or Very Mad
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #402046 2nd Jan 2021 3:35 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Ok, after looking around a bit it seems there are side panels at the back of the fuse box that lift off and the fuses are vertical types. The 100 amp F16 fuse is shown in figure 8.

Click image to enlarge

Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #402050 2nd Jan 2021 4:14 pm
alfapat

Aha! OK i will check that.
On removing the side panel inside off the console , I tested the incoming live to the heater with the ign on and engine running , but no life. Its pretty cold up here so I would have expected a voltage to appear , so really its not working.
I then took a brave step and restored defaults on all ecus on the Gap tool. My heart rate went up as the whole car shut down and followed procedures given on the tool. Fortunately , the car it started up when prompted and the code cleared for PTC. There is another HVAC code but Ill monitor that when I ll see it tomorrow .
Thanks for your help.

Post #402059 2nd Jan 2021 5:39 pm
alfapat

Update, heater button on under prog. Mode and nothing after resetting ECU . Checked 100amp fuse and thought there might be a bit of resistance measured so removed and refitted . Still not changed shall check if code or fault came back and reset or clear .
Question is , any more ideas anyone.

Fault still there and no heat when the Prog. button applied, unless it only works under 5 degrees. Presently its that at the moment.

Post #402485 10th Jan 2021 2:02 pm
alfapat

After seeing the video on Facebook , it’s not the Prog button that activates PTC . It is the heater dials when they are turned full on . So I still have the faults.

Post #404031 13th Feb 2021 4:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12