Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reasons not to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Freelander Fan

Reasons not to buy

Guys - I am new to this site and wondered if you could give me some advice. I have been a fan of the F2 since it came out and , having spent a good month finding the right spec and colour, I am this week hoping to sign the paperwork on a lovely Freelander 2!

However, having been intent on getting once for months and months, for some reason (probably stress!) I am getting a bit worried about two things, and I wondered if people on the site had any thoughts:

1. a friend told me over the weekend that he'd assumed that F2s were terrible for the environment. I have checked the statistics and I realise that, for its class, he is simply wrong. However whilst I am not particularly green, being anti-environment is not something I want to be labeled with. Any current owners experienced similar stigma? If so how have you dealt with it?

2. does anyone think that SUV resale values will be hit in, say 4-5 years time given the recent news that US consumers are turning their backs on SUVs? UK consumers tend to follow US consumers and I wonder if we might feel the impact of this?

Sorry to be a bit negative - I really don't mean to be - I am hoping someone will tell me that I am worrying over nothing!

Post #22801 23rd Jun 2008 11:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 
Re: Reasons not to buy

Welcome to the forum Mr Fan Thumbs Up

1) Tell your mate to shut his trap and go and hug a tree and munch some lettuce Exclamation Where does he get his assumption thats its bad from Question He's obviously going on the all 4X4 are bad Evil or Very Mad where as the FL2 is quite a eco friendly car to some degree all Land Rovers are made recyclable and also have there CO2 offset for 40000miles.

A container ship will spill out as much pollutants in a day than the FL2 will in its life time (Source Tim in Scotland) and nobody give 2 Censored about them transports Toyota Prius battery parts too and fro from Japan to Wales and Back

Land Rover Website wrote:
Indeed, they continue to be used by explorers, conservationists, environmentalists and scientists all over the planet, for the benefit of our world. Designed to be fit for purpose, many are in use in conditions that are just too tough for other vehicles. However, as the significance of climate change has become apparent over the last few years, it has been important for us to build upon our environmental heritage and plan for the future, by focusing our efforts in four key areas: Environmental Technology, Sustainable Manufacturing, CO2 Offsetting, Conservation and Humanitarian Projects

Feel free to forward this website to him

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/Company/S...planet.htm

2) Sorry can't help you there Confused I don't worry about what its going to be worth or the cost of fuel.

Buy the car its a great drive and you'll love the ownership of one Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22802 23rd Jun 2008 11:25 pm
arcturus

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Your friend is soooo wrong. He needs to be made aware that the emissions from a FL2 TD4 at 194 g/km are lower than those from a Ford Mondeo, Peugeot 407, Honda Accord, Citroen C5 and many other 'ordinary' cars. He and many journalists need to get their facts right. Source: http://www.carpages.co.uk/co2/co2-saloon-186-to-225-4.asp

As for residuals, i don't know. I know that people who just use them as a status symbols are starting to think twice about the bigger 4x4's but surely with the FL2 being so much 'greener' than a lot of family cars, then if they understand that, they should continue to consider the FL2 as an option. My guess is that the FL2 will just get lumped in with 4x4's in general cos people wont realise how good it is compared to 'family' cars.

Personally, i don't care. I have a FL2 because it needs to do things that a family car can't do because of where i live and my job, so i wont be changing any time soon. And when i do, it will be for another FL2.

Post #22803 23rd Jun 2008 11:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I reckon a Fl2 will be used for more years than say a Citroen which is really just a disposable car, the Fl2 will be around long after that Citroen has been scrapped and recycled into another car. So one car for the environmental cost of two Thumbs Up
On the fuel front owning the Fl2 has slowed my driving, purely because I find it relaxing so the mpg isn't as far behind my previous diesel Audi which was a car that willed you to drive it fast Whistle
Don't fall for the Land-Rover offset Censored though that's just so they can put fancy adverts in the Sunday magazines.

On the resale values the Yanks appear to be moving away from their huge gas guzzlers to smaller cars.. the fl2 is small in that league. Just the same could (and is in some way) happen here, with people trading from bigger 4x4s to Fl2 sized cars. And we all know there is only one 4x4 in that size worth buying...a black fl2 Rolling with laughter
If fuel prices stay up or rise it will be the used Fl2's getting all the attention on dealers forecourts where as the d3's RRS's etc will gather dust at the back.

edit.. the fl2 is not an SUV or any other type of embarrassing disease, its a Land-Rover pure and simple At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #22804 23rd Jun 2008 11:33 pm
Freelander Fan

Thanks for the responses so far - very helpful

Post #22807 24th Jun 2008 7:08 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

To be honest after 5 years the resale value of even an average miles motor is pretty crap

Post #22809 24th Jun 2008 8:38 am
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

Just to add top the mix go for it...as the others have said you buy it 'cos of the advantages which to me are many including; the comfort on the motorway, no more bad back climbing in and out (I do 25k a year so this is an issue for me) practicality when loading it with gear and not getting stuck in fields anymore when camping!

I consult in a transport executive at the moment so the people here don't like cars especially SUV's I had a friendly argument with a colleague who decided to tell me what a bad person I was for having a 4x4...it was easy to prove that her Ford Puma was no better on fuel or better or for the environment...people assume we get 2mpg and pump out 500CO2's it's nice when you can point out it's not the case.

Had another mate who said I was stupid for buying one due to the low mpg and then pointed out proudly he gets 36mpg average in his manual 330d which if mine was not an auto I would expect to better so that shut him up quickly!

Get one bought in black with privacy and you won't regret!

Post #22813 24th Jun 2008 8:54 am
phil_wkl

Australia 

Resale values are unpredictable for any car (without general sweeping statements of Audi/BMW will resale at a higher percentage of initial cost than a Ford/Vauxhall), especially 5 years down the line. Can only say that if you're worried about residuals don't buy new, buy a 5 year old car now Very Happy Phil

Post #22847 24th Jun 2008 2:31 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

you'll also have less of a impact in the wallet by buying nearly new, such a low mileage demo car Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22849 24th Jun 2008 2:36 pm
mkaresh

Resale values shouldn't be hit as hard as those for larger SUVs. truedelta.com
Vehicle reliability, fuel economy, and price comparison information

Post #22851 24th Jun 2008 3:21 pm
r12ure

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Worried about the environment ?
Then walk everywhere and eat grass.

Worried about resale values ?
Then don't buy a car.

Otherwise, get new friends and a freelader 2, just dont buy black or grey - go for Rimini Red, you know you want to

Post #22856 24th Jun 2008 5:47 pm
Woman Driver

If you buy Tonga Green you can say you have gone green!!!!
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Hello to arcturus - I see you are in the region of Tenbury Wells. Did you go to Shukers @ Ludlow?

Watch out there's a woman driver about Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Post #22862 24th Jun 2008 10:44 pm
arcturus

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

Woman Driver wrote:

Hello to arcturus - I see you are in the region of Tenbury Wells. Did you go to Shukers @ Ludlow?

Yes, i did. I have not had any problems with them at all. Is that where you go?

Last edited by arcturus on 26th Jun 2008 1:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #22865 25th Jun 2008 12:08 pm
Woman Driver

Yes Shukers Ludlow - I will be pickin up my new shiny GREY FL2 on Monday
I am looking forward to doing some serious gas guzzling.
Avoiding trees and lettuce!!

Very Happy

Post #22899 25th Jun 2008 10:35 pm
tatters

Had an amusing conversation with a friend when I was talking to him about getting a freelander:
him: "they use so much fuel though - how can you consider it?"
me: what does your car do to the gallon?
him: 36mpg
me: so less than the freelander then?

Post #22913 25th Jun 2008 11:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>