« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Bird poo damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
markconnor33

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Bird poo damage

Just washed my car for the first time in a couple of weeks and carefully removed some "baked bird poo".

Was dismayed to find its acted like paint stripper on the laquer, and left the paint surface in a real mess.

I will go to LR dealer ASAP and show them,so they can give me their verdict.
Hopefully they'll accept its a warranty issue!

Never had this problem before on even cars with really poor paint and lack of lacquer protection. Would suggest to me that the lacquer is pretty soft.

Any else had this problem?

MArk Freelander 2
TD4 GS
Shiney fantastic Baltic Blue
Detachable Witter Towbar

Post #22694 22nd Jun 2008 4:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i came back from a 2 week holiday and found the largest splat on the bonnet Shocked

Washed it off like normal, lucky no damage. Very Happy

Bird poo can have high amounts of acid in it and can etch the lacquer if left for a long time, my brothers took a full 2 days to etch its outline in his brand new volvo. Evil or Very Mad

I hope LR take it on board as a warranty claim, as the FL2 like all land rovers are designed to be taken off the beaten track away from the driveway and a bubbly bucket of wash & wax.

From what i have read, a machine polish & correction will even the lacquer back out again and get it back up to its pre poo standard.

i wouldn't tell them it was baked on say it had been on something like 3 day etc Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22695 22nd Jun 2008 5:06 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Mine got 'seagulled' in Looe last weekend, two splats on the bonnet, but they were enormous. They were carefully removed after less than two hours but one of them left a mark in the laquer. After a liberal amount of polish and elbow work it did disappear, but was a real worry. Hate to think what it would have done if baked in by the sun for a couple of days. I think the only solution is to keep it well waxed and remove deposits as soon as you find them.

Does anybody have any experience of whether the expensive sealant treatments can keep it out? Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #22704 22nd Jun 2008 7:33 pm
John L

United Kingdom 

xxtrail wrote:
Mine got 'seagulled' in Looe last weekend, two splats on the bonnet, but they were enormous. They were carefully removed after less than two hours but one of them left a mark in the laquer. After a liberal amount of polish and elbow work it did disappear, but was a real worry. Hate to think what it would have done if baked in by the sun for a couple of days. I think the only solution is to keep it well waxed and remove deposits as soon as you find them.

Does anybody have any experience of whether the expensive sealant treatments can keep it out?

Yes they are big Censored down there, mind you when you see them swooping down and nicking some unsuspecting persons cornish pastie you can understand why they splatter so much!

Before I head down to Cornwall next month my landie is going to get a coat of MER

Post #22705 22nd Jun 2008 7:41 pm
ChrisC

United Kingdom 

My last car (an Audi A3) had very soft paint, a bird poo if not washed off in 2 hours would result in damage. The warranty specifically excludes bird poo damage.

My car painter friend showed me a little known trick of the trade, using the drying lamps they use for small repairs to heat and re float the lacquer. As the heat is applied you can see the damage disappear , a quick very light polish, and the paint was as good as new. The cost, as £30 a time Very Happy

The audi needed this treatment 3 times during my short ownership.

A word or warning, these heat lamps are fierce, and you need to know what you are doing to prevent the panel buckling in the heat, my paint friend never left the car under the lamp alone to make sure.

Chris.

Post #22713 22nd Jun 2008 10:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

just as a after thought

Autoglym do Bird Poo Wipes, keep them in your car and wipe whilst its still warm Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22714 22nd Jun 2008 10:38 pm
mick

best thing put a wet tissue on and leave a while then just lift it off no need to wipe .

Post #22717 22nd Jun 2008 11:32 pm
Delta Mike

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Just wiped off some bird crap with a wet tissue and scraped the glued on stuff with my nail. On going out after it dried off I found that there are a few white scrathes where I scraped it. Probably a combination of my nail and the grit in it, beware on black anyway!!!

Post #22718 22nd Jun 2008 11:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

thats one way to stop you chewing your finger nails Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22721 23rd Jun 2008 12:02 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Larger birds like gulls that eat all sorts of rubbish will crap out the acid and grit contents in horrifying amounts. Depending on where you live and what they eat will depend on the damage this may cause to paintwork. Shocked

You should NEVER revove the "bird-poo" blobs by dry methods - ALWAYS rinse first with LOTS of water FIRST before you try or apply any other method of cleaning Thumbs Up This will help reduce the sand-paper like contents scratching and the acid contents damaging the paintwork Thumbs Up .

These are the wise words of an ornithologist who has also been bombed Mad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #22729 23rd Jun 2008 7:42 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

AndyC wrote:

These are the wise old words of an elderly ornithologist who has also been bombed Mad
 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #22730 23rd Jun 2008 8:02 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
AndyC wrote:

These are the wise old words of an elderly ornithologist who has also been bombed Mad

You put words in my mouth CG Rolling Eyes - either that or you need new specks Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #22735 23rd Jun 2008 8:34 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

another tip is not to look up with your mouth open too when a bird flys over unless you like to look like your eating oysters Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #22750 23rd Jun 2008 11:38 am
peteoheat

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I tried to resist suggesting never taking the same bird out again. But have failed dismally Embarassed

Post #22759 23rd Jun 2008 4:13 pm
Woman Driver

Shocked
Perhaps I should forget the grey FL2 and go for white so bird poo blends in with colour. Especially seagulls.
I don't fancy removing bird poo, especially warm and especially not baked on.
Didn't have any problem with bird poo on my Audi but then I had Scotchguard/Superguard or whatever it is called!! Perhaps it really does work though many would disagree! Exclamation Mr. Green

Post #22788 23rd Jun 2008 9:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>