Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cheap first service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

i think the tyre insurance isn't worth the money, and is dealer robbery, a new tyre will cost £150'ish and you would have to be unlucky to claim on it.

£30 a month for service plan isn't that bad, but how many services will you get for it in a year, if your a 40k a year person yes it is if it covers all the required service, but if your a 10k commuter your going to break even or there abouts Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25768 17th Aug 2008 12:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i went through 6 michelin tires on a vectra in just over a year, with wear and tear and punctures and a 100mph blowout Confused

That year it would have been worth £50 per month Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25770 17th Aug 2008 12:21 am
Northsea Medic

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Nick Jan wrote:
Surely it depends just as much on how often tyres get damaged ........ no often me thinks, unless you can't steer!!! Rolling with laughter

It was implied that if they have not been damaged but are getting worn it may be worth them having an 'accident' before the end of the three years thus saving the cost of the new tyres...

Post #25774 17th Aug 2008 7:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Shocked

How would you have this accident, bounce down a pothole, ram the car up a kerb, place a nail in the road and drive over it

All of which run the risk of damaging the alloy aswell as the tire Rolling Eyes

Read the small print in the policy as I am sure they company will have covered a high mileage tire that suddenly has been damaged. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #25777 17th Aug 2008 10:36 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Northsea Medic wrote:
It was implied that if they have not been damaged but are getting worn it may be worth them having an 'accident' before the end of the three years thus saving the cost of the new tyres...

The only issue is you'd need to replace all 4 anyway...so you'd end up with a vehicle that can't be driven anywhere as all 4 tyres have slash marks in them.

It seems like a very expensive insurance to me and would say you'd be better buying two new tyres for almost the same price and keeping those on standby.

Like the guy from Oz I have no servicing cost to pay for the first 3 years Thumbs Up Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #25782 17th Aug 2008 11:33 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'll bet tyre insurance only pays out for the unworn % of the tyre anyway? never checked but that seems likely.
Used to use tyres which came with a free sidewall damage insurance but again this only paid up afor the remaining tread but not a full new tyre. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #25783 17th Aug 2008 11:39 am
markp

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I gave Nene Overland a call today to enquire about them doing my first service on my Freelander2 and was quoted just over £265! Fair old jump from the £175 deal you managed to get!

Post #26901 8th Sep 2008 12:52 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

How bizzare, that's definately what they charged me, I know inflation puts prices up, but that much?

Might be worth either giving them another call, or getting a works colleuge tocall them as another prospective customer.

You could always tell them that your friend brought there's in a couple of months ago, and it only cost him £175, and they'd recommended them to you, feel free to mention my name, Richard Billington, they may or may not remember me.

Do you have a TD4 manual?

I didn't think it was a special offer but could be wrong

Rich

Post #26905 8th Sep 2008 1:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12