« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > dpf full warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
dpf full warning

got the dreaded "dpf full" warning today (on the message display) - closely followed by the yellow engine warning sign (on the tachometer).

Tried the recommended blast down the motorway to empty the filter - but both warnings are still on.

Is there a way to empty the filter yourself - or is it a trip to the Dealers ?

Post #22317 14th Jun 2008 7:30 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

No, don't thimk so. Guess you have to try again and drive for a longer distance. Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22328 15th Jun 2008 1:24 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

It seems to have fixed itself (?).

As mentioned - I took it for a 70 km blast, with a 15 minute break in the middle. The "dpf full" warning (+ the engine warning sign) were on the whole time.

I took it for a short journey the following morning, and both warning signs were gone (so maybe they return in a few days ?).

Perhaps the system needs to cool down in order for the "dpf checking" process to reset itself. What I did notice was that after switching off the engine (after the 70 km run) - there was a loud click from the underside, and the normal "whining" sound immediately stopped. Maybe this was the dpf reset mechanism ??.

Let's see what happens over the next few days.............

Post #22370 16th Jun 2008 2:00 pm
Matei

Just wondering if this happens while in a traffic jam and you cannot clean the dPF? I would say that it would not damage the engine but only "help global warmming a bit" FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22371 16th Jun 2008 2:41 pm
chris@scears.com

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I got the DPF full after just 6000 km, the engine went into reduced power mode and I drove it for 15-20 minutes at 3000 rpm in 3 gear, stopped and took a 10 minute break and started it again - all back to normal. I have not had this message since then, driven just over 18 000 km and had the first oil/filter change.
The DPF full is mentioned in the handbook. Sheep

Post #22383 16th Jun 2008 7:46 pm
jvvv

quick question: what does "df full" mean?

Post #22392 16th Jun 2008 9:01 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter

Luckily they're an optional extra here in the UK Very Happy ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #22401 16th Jun 2008 9:26 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Take it for a gentle run to warm the engine up, then give it a good blast Thumbs Up

Post #22407 17th Jun 2008 5:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Matei

chris@scears.com wrote:
I got the DPF full after just 6000 km, the engine went into reduced power mode and I drove it for 15-20 minutes at 3000 rpm in 3 gear, stopped and took a 10 minute break and started it again - all back to normal. I have not had this message since then, driven just over 18 000 km and had the first oil/filter change.
The DPF full is mentioned in the handbook. Sheep

The DPF is supposed to clean itself and some might never experience this sign. I have a friend who is driving daily in heavy city traffic and he says the sign comes up even under every 600 Km. Lucky that even over here the DPF is optional. I think that in Germany they are compulsory. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #22409 17th Jun 2008 6:32 am
mjb

Germany 

Matei wrote:
I think that in Germany they are compulsory.

Correct! I've never seen the DPF Full message though, perhaps because I mainly drive on the Autobahn. - Mike

Post #22453 18th Jun 2008 7:23 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

To all concerned: please read my post on the subject "DPF full - visit work shop- on the Technical site.
(reduced engine performance)

YF

Post #22664 21st Jun 2008 3:59 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

mjb wrote:
Matei wrote:
I think that in Germany they are compulsory.

Correct! I've never seen the DPF Full message though, perhaps because I mainly drive on the Autobahn.

While mine (launched in Germany with a compulsory DFP, but driven in Montenegro) is alerting each 300 - 500 km already. That probably depends on the short distances in cloggy small town of Podgorica as well as on the bad fuel here in Montenegro.

Problem 1: It is an ecological nonsense for me (working in the environmental sector, thus thought I should drive an example with DPF) to be forced to go on the road once a month to burn free the filter with some extra 100 km at 12 l/100km consumption.

Problem 2: there are no highways here, to drive at min. speed of 50 km/h and at 3.000 r/min is a risky trip up and down the serpentines in the MNE Mountains and is stopped by the next bus or truck crossing my way. I have to get up very early on Sunday morning and try to find a quiet road.

Serious Question: Is there a possibility to deactivate the DPF temporarily ?
Did anybody encounter similar ongoing problems? What can I do?
P.S.: LR Montenegro (in fact a FORD dealer) has no answer since the DPF is not inbuilt or sold here - for good reasons, I would say Rolling Eyes

Regards from
Free (not any longer environmentally...)...Green

Post #37031 12th Feb 2009 2:27 pm
simong

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Speaking to a VW technican about my DPF on the Golf, I explained that I regularily use the motorway so the DPF should be okay- he said, 'Rubbish' He explained that the soot is burned off at 2,000rpm on a light throttle in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th!!

So much for me blasting up and down the motorway!!

Anybody know which method is the correct one?

Post #37186 15th Feb 2009 8:35 pm
FreeGreen

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

simong wrote:
Speaking to a VW technican about my DPF o... He explained that the soot is burned off at 2,000rpm on a light throttle in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th!!

What ??? Shocked

You mean yesterday's 50 km tour at 3.000 rounds/min (and at 12 l/100 km consumption Evil or Very Mad ) were not necessary after all Question

My goodness, that would be a release for me at the very end after all these nightmares with the filter. Actually yesterday the DPF full sign dissapeared after a few km indeed already, I just continued for another 20 min. in 2nd gear at 3.-4.000 according to the manual - ugly, but always obedient to Landrover's instructions so far Bow down - but I guess I should change that attitude and rather not give that many thought to the car and its alarms and alerts any longer.

Looking forward to your experience with the soot burning filter.

Regards
FreeGreen

Post #37188 15th Feb 2009 9:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1