Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Heated windscreen not working, electrical gremlins.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Heated windscreen not working, electrical gremlins.

Hi.

On my hse lux the heated windscreen does not work, when I press the button the light comes on but the frost or mist on the window does not clear, I have to do it the old fashioned way using the fans which takes forever.

On my previous fl2 I had, the windscreen cleared quickly and I remember it making lines where the elements heated up.
Is this faulty. Can someone let me know how long it takes for there window to clear.

This is my 4th electric fault in months, (handbrake,fan module, drls) all after a burning smell. I am starting to get a bit concerned I have a dog of a car. (And considering I had a loan fl2 that self combusted on my drive I am concerned about electrical issues).

Ta.

Post #243423 3rd Dec 2014 11:58 am
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Used my heated w/screen this morning for the first time this winter. Took under 2 mins to clear completely. ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #243426 3rd Dec 2014 12:31 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I'm pretty sure my 2010 HSE was quicker when I pressed defrost, but I can't complain about the auto defrost this morning. Are you giving it long enough?
Mine took around 2 minutes and nothing seemed to happen until the ceramic heater started to clear the bottom of the screen, then, within seconds the entire screen cleared apart from the outer edges where the elements don't reach. Didn't even have to press the button! Thumbs Up

Post #243454 3rd Dec 2014 4:53 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I think I remember reading that the later models have automatic screen defrost so I presume its not purely automatic and it does have an actual screen heater button for manual activation, not a general defrost button that may or may not activate the screen?

Anyway, first step is check the screen fuses, screen should have one fuse per side.
Next step is check the continuity of the screen heating element via the connectors. The connectors are under each screen corner, the passenger side is easiest, remove the battery cover and shine a torch in the corner (mind you don't short the battery with your head when looking!)

If you have continuity then check the voltage getting to the incoming connector.
If good reconnect and then check power is coming out of the screen connector.

On mine the drivers side screen clears but the passenger side doesn't. I have a stone chip right over a wire so I thought a wire was broken, but the continuity test disproved that. However the top of the screen on that side is a bit milky so it looks like its delaminating and moisture has got in there and corroded the wires, not enough to break continuity but enough to prevent enough voltage to travel across it. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #243458 3rd Dec 2014 5:24 pm
wurzel153

I have the defrost button, this activates the light on the button below it which is for the wind screen, so I am definitely pressing the right buttons but it takes about 4-5 minutes and then the screen slowly starts to clear with two semi circles at the bottom getting bigger, (like an expanding pair of boobs). My mirrors are also staying wet so I think they are not working either, I used to get steam off my last fl2.

I will have a look at the fuses this evening but I won't check the continuity as its a nearly new car, I am waiting for the dealer to get back to me but I think they have had enough of me and my problems.

Post #243464 3rd Dec 2014 5:36 pm
wurzel153

Checked the fuses, they seem fine.
Should the window get warm when it is on, the rear one does but the front one stays cold so I will assume it is broke.

I will wait for the dealer to fit me in. (Again).

Post #243490 3rd Dec 2014 8:14 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Heated front screen is for deicing, not for demisting, Pressing the "programe" button activates Heated front and rear screens (includes door mirrors), ceramic heater and air con also sets all internal direction flaps . Air Con is best demisting tool.
heated rear screen designed for defrost and demist, much heavier elements. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #243493 3rd Dec 2014 9:00 pm
wurzel153

It does not deice either!. Thanks for the replies. I have concluded it is busted.

I will add it to my long list of Land Rover reliability woes.

Post #243503 3rd Dec 2014 9:55 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Unusual for both sides of screen to fail at same time. They are independently wired to left and right sides. I would first check if power is going to screen. Remove interior pillar trim. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #243524 4th Dec 2014 12:21 am
wurzel153

This is annoying me now its frosty. The dealer can not fit me in until mid jan so i need to have a look myself.
I know that the heated screen does not work at all on both sides, it has no stone chips and the fuses are fine.

So i assume my next step is to check its connected,

Druand, you say to remove the interior pillar trim, can you let me know how this comes off without me damaging clips etc. ta.

Post #244868 14th Dec 2014 6:25 pm
ad210358

England 

Look for the plastic "air Bag" tab, pop that out with a small screwdriver, behind it will be a Phillips Head Screw, will be one mor screw about halfway down the panel, only two screws and it will become loose.

Post #244895 14th Dec 2014 8:33 pm
wurzel153

Update.

Dealer have said the windscreen is defective and that it has a short in it. So being replaced under warranty. They cannot see where the short is though.

Car is also having the tailgate re-painted (new MY14 car WTF) for a second time as the paint keeps peeling off. So probably won't see the car for a long time Big Cry .

Post #248287 9th Jan 2015 11:23 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Perhaps go down the line of rejecting the car if it's brand new. There is a thread on here somewhere about how to go about it. Pain in the Censored for you! * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #248309 9th Jan 2015 3:52 pm
wurzel153

I won't be rejecting. I love it too much, I can just about live with my 8th warranty claim in 10 months.
Just hoping the loan car they gave me doesn't explode like the last one did. 🚒

Also if anyone knows the Land Rover fix for the tailgate handle rubbing the paint off then Please let me know so I can inform the dealer.

Post #248316 9th Jan 2015 4:26 pm
wurzel153

Hmmmmm.
Car returned with window replaced, don't know if it works yet.
But now I have a nice big scratch on the front wing (dealer already taken responsibility), and the drivers door mirror no longer folds in.

And the boot has not been repainted as Land Rover don't know how to fix it.

So all in all not to pleased as will now go to warranty claim number 9, almost in double figures!. Shocked

Post #248762 13th Jan 2015 4:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>