« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retro Fitting Heated Steering Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Retro Fitting Heated Steering Wheel

Retro Fitting a Heated Steering Wheel.

If you own a pre MY12 FL2 you cannot under any circumstances upgrade and fit the latest heated steering wheel that is available from MY12 onwards to your older FL2. Why Question

1: the fitment of the MY12 onwards Clock Spring to earlier models is not physically possible due to different pin locations, plug sockets and mounting points. The connections that dock with the bracket part in the vehicle which also contains a degree of conversion/logic circuitry that interface the Steering Wheel Switches and the Steering Angle Sensor are vastly different.

2: the MY12 onwards Switch Clusters Left and Right are controlled by PCB's that are fundamentally different to the Switch Packs as fitted to earlier FL2 models. Folks have made reference on a different thread on the forum that these PCB's can be simply replaced by those supplied by BBS as per the conversion kit offered by that company re their D3 to D4 and older to later RRS. This is not so - and an enquiry to Colin at BBS will confirm this.

3: the connector plugs from the Clock Spring to the Driver's Air Bag are radically different from MY12 onwards and do not connect with the earlier MY's Air Bag.

4: to summarise there is no way (regardless of expense) you can add the MY12 Heated Steering Wheel to an earlier model FL2 and enjoy that warm heat through your fingers. Sad

Footnote:
It is however possible that if you own a MY12 onwards FL2 that does not have the heating feature on its steering wheel, then you can upgrade your steering wheel to a heated one. To do that I suggest you contact Colin at BBS and he'll supply you with all the detail and costs. Smile

Finally, my thanks go to Colin for spending 100's of hours on this project trying to get her Ladyship a functional heated steering wheel installed in time for this winter. Service beyond the call of duty Colin. Grand Chap Thumbs Up

Post #238388 20th Oct 2014 12:45 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Well, think that's my project well and truly out the window.

Thanks for the comprehensive information. Thumbs Up

One new leather heated steering wheel anybody ??? FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #238401 20th Oct 2014 2:27 pm
Ducadim

Russia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

It was long story, but we've made it! (pre-MY12). It really possible and not so expensive - topic on our Russian LR-Club forum:Fitting Heated Steering Wheel. Forum on Russian, but Google Translator can do it more clear Cool . From MY11 it's much more easy - not need to modificate Clock Spring Very Happy
I can say - it works more than year on my car.

Post #238459 21st Oct 2014 8:40 am
athelstan

I am amazed - and I am sure that Colin @ BBS will also be Shocked

Now I'll spend some time running through the Russian site to see how it has been achieved - or is it an in elegant wire override Question

Post #238497 21st Oct 2014 1:45 pm
athelstan

Ducadim
The link you provide does not open - at least on my iPad Big Cry
Can you offer another link Question

Post #238498 21st Oct 2014 1:48 pm
athelstan

Ducadim
After a couple of attempts on a MacBookAir I got in Very Happy

Yes you are right - IT CAN BE DONE Bow down

But hey - how Whistle

That methodology is in effect a major rewire of the existing hardware in very experienced hands resulting in what we would refer to in the UK as an "electrical spaghetti junction". One false move in doing that and your FL2 is fried Big Cry

Not sure many would wish to risk that route. IMHO an operation only for the brave, and or, someone with a familiarity of auto electronics. Nonetheless - well done that man - congratulations Thumbs Up

However, within the realms of replacing existings MYLR parts with later/newer MY LR parts (and by not bogging/butchering existing parts) - as I posted to add the MY12 onwards heated steering wheel it unfortunately cannot be done. Crying or Very sad

Post #238501 21st Oct 2014 2:16 pm
Ducadim

I agree, but in part Smile
Main problem on this way - rotary contact ring and brush (we call it - snail))) MY07-10; from MY11 and later contact ring has all the necessary wires inside. But auto multimedia tuning workshops can easily add the missing wire loop in rotary contact (and this is only problem). The rest parts - aftermarket kit.
Unfortunately, you are right, we can't use parts from MY11 and after because very different fittings and operations (another steering angle sensor operation and so on). On the other hand, alter leather steering wheel for heater, I do, for example, can not either - do not know how Laughing
We have already fitted many a heated steering wheel on this method - no problems there. Of course, for such a modification (electrical spaghetti junction Rolling with laughter ) requires a sufficiently high qualification Bow down

Post #238521 21st Oct 2014 4:40 pm
Ducadim

This is modificated by freeladimir "snail" MY08 Smile

Post #238523 21st Oct 2014 4:47 pm
ronp

Scotland 

My hopes were raised momentarily ....... then dashed.

I'm not going to bother at all with any attempt at this modification.
Far too much hassle for just a different looking steering wheel when the original is absolutely fine. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Post #238526 21st Oct 2014 5:39 pm
Ducadim

Looking is the same Smile (if you about MY07-11 modification) But functions...

Last edited by Ducadim on 21st Oct 2014 6:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #238528 21st Oct 2014 5:58 pm
athelstan

Ronp
If you just want to add the different looking steering wheel from My12 onwards without a heated feature then this can be done without too much stress and cost. Idea

Contact Colin at BBS and he'll tell you how and how much£££. Wink

Her Ladyship wanted HEATING not a COSMETIC makeover Sad

Post #238529 21st Oct 2014 6:02 pm
Ducadim

athelstan, Thumbs Up

Post #238531 21st Oct 2014 6:06 pm
ronp

Scotland 

athelstan wrote:
Ronp
If you just want to add the different looking steering wheel from My12 onwards without a heated feature then this can be done without too much stress and cost. Idea

Contact Colin at BBS and he'll tell you how and how much£££. Wink Sad

But now I'm totally confused. Confused
I read that point 2 of you initial post (copied below) that it can't be done.
Have I picked this up wrong?

2: the MY12 onwards Switch Clusters Left and Right are controlled by PCB's that are fundamentally different to the Switch Packs as fitted to earlier FL2 models. Folks have made reference on a different thread on the forum that these PCB's can be simply replaced by those supplied by BBS as per the conversion kit offered by that company re their D3 to D4 and older to later RRS. This is not so - and an enquiry to Colin at BBS will confirm this. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Post #238532 21st Oct 2014 6:17 pm
alex_pescaru

Ducadim, glad to see you here and glad that you add your input to the forum.

And I am a little proud that eastern cultures are a little more technical inclined than the others and solve any problem that came across.
Maybe the harsh conditions and needs made us to handle almost anything that comes in our way with very little at hand and a lot of ingenuity.
Or maybe the words "Learn, Learn, Learn" that were told from childhood to each of us had an effect... Very Happy

PS:
athelstan, please excuse my off topic, but I couldn't help it... Embarassed

Post #238536 21st Oct 2014 6:53 pm
athelstan

Ronp
My original post is focused upon installing the new Heated Steering Wheel to an older pre MY12 FL2.

Your latter comment referred to a cosmetic update, and therefore my latest post was to inform you that if you just want to instal the newer more modern looking post MY2012 steering wheel and do not want a heating feature then this can be done.

It requires the PCB's that are located behind the LH and RH switch packs of the newer steering wheel to be replaced by a new set of specially reconfigured PCB's that Colin at BBS can now, after his recent research, be produced. These PCB's are not the same and must not be confused with those he produces for the D3 to D4 or RRS conversions.

What you are doing here is to replicate how the older steering wheel sends signals from its older switches to the older Clock Spring. Nothing more; i.e you are not installing a new function e.g. "heating".

For a fuller detailed technical description you must contact Colin.
Trust all is clearer now.

Post #238542 21st Oct 2014 7:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>