« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 43 of 127 <123 ... 424344 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Really interesting

Its really interesting to read everyones perspectives on the DS as more get to see it and drive it. It has its supporters on here, and a few who are waiting hopefully for the new engine and more models to appear, and a significant number who have all but given up on LR for now.

For all the glamour of the Paris launch, this does NOT seem to have been LR's best ever new vehicle launch. Loads of eager customers left confused or just depressed! Rolling Eyes

I still feel lost as to what I will now do. In the short term, like many others I will hang on to my trusty FL2. When that needs to go, I really have no idea!!

Very sad; I was expecting so much more. Big Cry Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #250595 27th Jan 2015 1:30 am
maffy

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Yes Taz, Very disappointing. Sat in one just the other day, thought I was in an XC60!
Unless. like the Ford Sierra of old, it grows on you-I too am going to be struggling in 3 years time.
Land Rover-Plot lost. Shocked Hit it he said, Hit it!--So I hit it, then he hit me---Doh!

Post #250600 27th Jan 2015 7:56 am
maffy

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Oops! Sorry, Not Taz-I meant Nick. Embarassed Hit it he said, Hit it!--So I hit it, then he hit me---Doh!

Post #250601 27th Jan 2015 7:57 am
DrRpb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Will be interesting to see what the new Defender shapes up like. Also I think I heard there is to be a baby Discovery and a baby Range Rover? No idea when Whistle * GONE. GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* GONE.2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Rocket ship. 33mpg.
* Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975 Smile

Post #250608 27th Jan 2015 8:55 am
ronp

Scotland 

@ Lucky Duck - that's a very good impassioned write up (on P42). Thumbs Up

Post #250609 27th Jan 2015 9:19 am
j77

Scotland 

This was all said back in 1997 when the Freelander was first introduced, "Land Rover have lost the plot", "how can you have a proper Land Rover with no low range and low ground clearance" and it went on to become Europes best selling 4x4.

Land Rover ain't stupid, they know what they are doing, yes, the launch was crap, yes, lack of options in the UK and yes, they will no doubt loose some of the die hards but they will gain so much more. It's a sad fact that all big businesses care more about gaining new customers than holding onto exsisting customers.

Land Rover can't afford to continue producing the same old cars and let a whole market worth millions pass them by. Over on the DS forum we have a few members moving from the German brands, one even giving up his 6 month old macan, because the DS is far more user friendly and less posh for family weekends in the great outdoors. Surely that's what owning a Land Rover is all about.

I'm looking forward to taking delivery of mine, no doubt there will be things that bug me on it and my greyhound will be in for a shock as he likes to lie with his chin resting on the lower half of the tailgate (D4) to look out the back window, but he doesn't have to pay the fuel bills for it Laughing and the rear lights are ugly.

As I said earlier I will post some comparison photos for those that would rather see it against a Fl2 for real, to see if they can live with it or not.

Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250623 27th Jan 2015 11:47 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I think the DS is a very good looking car ( even the back lights j77 Laughing ) . If the car was a few I inches bigger all round and a higher seating position I would be happy with one . Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #250625 27th Jan 2015 12:03 pm
Dartman the one

England 

j77, They may move from some of the German brands to the DS, some also will to the CX-17 ( bit nearer the Macan) no one should dispute the DS is as a car pretty good if it suits your purpose. To call some diehards when the vehicle they want is not the DS is somewhat disrespectful. For some they need a higher roofline, larger hatch entrance, that's the car they want or require for their needs and the DS isn't it. The Cortina became the Sierra, but still was as practical which morphed into the Mondeo which became even more practical and larger, now the Focus is as practical as the Cortina and about the same size. LR decided that the Disco was getting expensive, so produced the Freelander, then the FL2, so there is a requirement for a vehicle larger than the FL2, but unfortunately the DS is not a grown up FL2 it is another car. I suppose in practical terms is similar to the D4 as the RRS is to the FFRR. What we all want is a larger FL2 and a FL2 Sport, a bit smaller but similar to the Ewok. I'm sure there is a market for them and I don't really care what JLR call them my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #250634 27th Jan 2015 1:39 pm
j77

Scotland 

It wasn't intended to be disrespectful, and I don't see how it is. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250637 27th Jan 2015 1:56 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
the DS is not a grown up FL2 it is another car.

I don't think it's either of those things - what it is is a facelifted FL2. It has the same platform (with a few tweaks), the same engine, roughly the same size. Whatever badge is on it it's an FL3. And that's part of the problem - the price hike is just too large for a facelift, and for many of us the changes which have been made make the car worse, not better. The roofline compromises the loadspace, as do the seating arrangements. The non-flat loadspace floor is a joke, as is the lack of room for a spare. The revised suspension compromises the ground clearance, etc. And aspects of the design - particularly the rear lights - look cheap and a bit tacky and will date quickly.

Quote:
What we all want is a larger FL2 and a FL2 Sport

Not all - for me the FL2 is about right size-wise. Smaller would be too small, and larger would be needlessly large. And on the narrow lanes around the Dales the FL2 already feels like a big car. No, what I want is something very like the FL2, with the same size and the same practicality, just updated a bit and at a reasonable price.

(Actually no, what I really want is an FL2 with a bit more ground clearance, low box and a drivetrain a bit better than a Haldex system. But I know there's absolutely no chance of that happening!)

Post #250639 27th Jan 2015 2:11 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

what we need is a poll.... Whistle

Post #250642 27th Jan 2015 2:43 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What we need is to forget about the DS and its differences until it is in owners hands and established. Just get on with enjoying our Freelanders! Whistle (this is running longer than The Mousetrap......)

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #250645 27th Jan 2015 2:54 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

You don't have to read it you know. Just ignore the thread and leave us to it...

Post #250648 27th Jan 2015 2:59 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

You have kept ordering a DS quiet J77 Smile MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #250652 27th Jan 2015 3:09 pm
taztastic

England 

He hasn't Laughing

Post #250653 27th Jan 2015 3:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 43 of 127 <123 ... 424344 ... 125126127>