Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 40 of 127 <123 ... 394041 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

Uses the same leather as the Fl2 HSE lux. The Fl2 HSE Lux ain't worth it either, it still has horrendous looking green lights around the dash.

The DS has a more connected feel when driving, IMO more in command of the car type feel. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250166 24th Jan 2015 6:34 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Very few on here say the DS is a wrong car, probably it will be very successful, what they are saying is that there isn't a replacement for the FL2, Whether JLR can accept that those sales may go elsewhere and that the knock on sales as those customers circumstances change and move up to other models in the range staying true to the marque or lost as they move up in their alternative marque, vice versa for downsizing on retirement. sales are sales, providing each model is profitable then there is no need to discontinue a model variant, call it a different name, alter its suspension and drive train, but keep the design purpose. When a design purpose is discontinued customers are lost, yes you may gain some customers with a new model, but you have still lost customers in one area. Brand loyalty in the motor industry is paramount and you lose customers at your peril, LR have made some very iffy quality cars but they were the best at what they did and they were bought because when right they were a joy to use. Some on here will go elsewhere, some will compromise by up scaling to an older D4 or DS, others will find the DS ideal to their purpose and liking. Me, I don't like sitting in the mire on a dirty wet road so a high driving position is a must, but a move to warmer climes may be a future and dropheads have a huge capacity and no entry restrictions when the top is down. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #250181 24th Jan 2015 7:33 pm
pporocki

Poland 2014 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Santorini Black

Help!
I couldn't find any FL2 replacement!
I'm 195cm tall. And I want command drive position too!
Disco IV and RRS are too expensive for me.

I've checked many cars in my price range. No no no no good.

Only a few of them has nice command drive position:
- Toyota Land Cruiser 150 (much longer than FL2; interior looks very cheap and poor)
- Subaru Forester (interior looks even cheaper then Toyota but it's quiet fast)

The worst cars I've tried:
- BMW X3 (I have to lie in it although I've enough space above the head; because steering wheel's column is so down)

Not command drive position but not bad driving position for tall driver:
- Mazda CX-5

Uncomfortable or too small for me:
- Volvo XC60 (too narrow for left arm, uncomfortable seats and driving position)
- Mercedes GLK (very small interior)
- Evoque (very hard seats, not too much space above the head but comfortable driving position, very hard suspension)

Ford Edge, Explorer, Toyota Highlander are not available in Poland.
Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V in my opinion are not SUVs any longer (very little of ground clearance!)

I am not sure about drive position of Jeep Cherooke, must check again, but the pleasant version, the Trailhawk (has low range and diff's lock) is not available with diesel engine or turbocharged gasoline, only naturally aspirated V6 gasoline.

I am considering to check the last of MY14 Freelanders here at local dealers in Poland but only 3-4 are left in all country.
Could anyone from Germany tell me are there any LHD Freelanders still available on the stocks?
I am waiting to see Discovery Sport, local dealer said It will be in February but what I am reading not looks good.

sorry for possible grammar errors

Post #250210 24th Jan 2015 9:03 pm
j77

Scotland 

Don't worry about your spelling, it's better than mine. Laughing

Wait and see the car for yourself, don't go on what people say on here. You might like it you might hate it, everybody judges a car on their own needs. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250240 24th Jan 2015 11:29 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Just seen a Discovery Sport through the windows of Baretts in Ashford. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #250254 25th Jan 2015 1:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
This debate about Disco sport vs Freelander 2 is very reminiscent of the situation in 1981/2 when Ford bought out the Sierra to replace the Cortina. Sales of Cortinas went up as soon as the new car was launched since there were so many complaints about the look of the new "Jelly Mould" shape. Even the sales guys were pushing Cortinas to avoid losing a sale.
In reality Ford had to go for the more aerodynamic shape to improve mpg figures and the other manufacturers were actually waiting for market leader Ford to make the first move before they followed with a similar design.
In which case get used to the Evoque, you know it makes sense .... Laughing

This is one reason I bought one of the very last Freelander Metropolis's as I feel the same scenario will happen re Cortina/Sierra. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #250255 25th Jan 2015 1:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
j77

Scotland 

The DS is the most aerodynamic vehicle LR have produced, which is why it has the shape it has. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #250265 25th Jan 2015 9:41 am
fisha

That may be, however ... it also makes it very generic. On of the aspects of LR's that I've liked over the years is their squarer, beefier shape.

Post #250271 25th Jan 2015 10:30 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I once had a chat with a car designer who said that modern car design is based more and more on aerodynamics to maximise mpg which means that they all look the same (just like air liners which all travel at about the speed so have the same general shape) this means that the only real difference between most cars is in the shape of the headlights, tail lights, windows and grill badge.

quote from Enzo Ferrari "aerodynamics is for people who can't design engines"

Post #250272 25th Jan 2015 10:43 am
fisha

I really quite agree with that comment.

To me, the whole combustion engine side of things is not the future. 100mpg or not. Hydrogen fuel cell is the future. The quicker we head that way the better.

Post #250274 25th Jan 2015 10:55 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

j77 wrote:
The DS is the most aerodynamic vehicle LR have produced, which is why it has the shape it has.

That's good Rolling Eyes MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #250278 25th Jan 2015 11:25 am
Dartman the one

England 

Does that mean that cars will eventually be designed to the point they will be so low they will be almost impossible to get in, once in you lay down, luggage under the legs and legs in a cradle. Will that be the norm as one major manufacturer takes the courage to launch one, just as Ford did with the Sierra. What a frightening future Big Cry my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #250282 25th Jan 2015 11:49 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

I’ve heard now from two unrelated LR main dealers that the new Ingenium engine will not be going into 4WD versions of the Discovery Sport. Period!

One of those dealers added that it was not powerful enough for 4WD versions?????

The other said the Ingenium engine might go into 2WD versions of the DS but not until next year.

Neither dealer knew anything about whether petrol versions would be made and available in a 2WD DS.

But posts in the forum and in the motoring press have suggested that the new Ingenium engine will be available in the DS later in this year (without mentioning 2WD only), and I can’t find anything at all about future plans for a petrol version?

I’m confused. Does anyone have any reliable information about DS Ingenium engine plans or is it all in the air depending on how Jaguar XE demand pans out?

Post #250284 25th Jan 2015 11:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

yes LR invests millions in a new engine plant then keeps on buying dated engines from peugoet/ford.

or dealer refusing to admit his brand new offering will soon be out of date???

moving from audi to fl2 diesel in 2008 was mildly disappointing. they cant keep on with that engine much longer or LR will fall woefully behind in performance efficiency and emmisions At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #250287 25th Jan 2015 12:06 pm
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Discovery Sport: What I would / wouldn’t buy to replace my Freelander2?

Yes (like a shot):
DS with 5 seats and full sized spare wheel and turbo petrol engine, even if that meant 2WD
No more than £35k

No:
5+2 version without spare wheel
Any DS above £35k (not prepared to pay the aspirational premium Smile

My mileage isn’t high these days and having run Saabs with turbo petrol engines for many years I’d like to leave diesel behind. Also new diesel regs may make petrol more attractive in coming years?

Anyone of like mind re petrol power?

Post #250291 25th Jan 2015 12:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 40 of 127 <123 ... 394041 ... 125126127>