« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > heater/air con fan noisy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue
heater/air con fan noisy

Hi my air con/heater fan is noisy at low speeds, ie when it's on auto or just low.
If you turn it up the noise ( a kind of quiet ish dry bearing, whistle noise) disappears.

Now when I say noise I mean its not like the neighbours could hear it, or even your passenger if they werent looking for it.
But I notice it and now I have pointed it out to my partner, she admits she hears it too.
I know if I take it in to the garage, as the noise is not so loud blood comes out your ears when you hear it, the mechanic will say there is no noise.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me? Confused

Post #20994 27th May 2008 12:07 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have exactly the same problem.

It is only really a problem on long trips with no music as the cabin is up (I mean down) to temperature and so the system just idles along, where as the rest of the time it is working over time to cool me down or the music drowns everything out.

The sound is really annoying, and stands out so much as the car is normally so quiet!

Going to take mine to the dealer at some point....but in no rush for them to make things worse Laughing

Post #21007 27th May 2008 10:14 am
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have the same happening; just started to notice it in the last month. Car is going back to dealer for a few minor bits and bobs next week so will ask them to look at it then.

DT

Post #21080 28th May 2008 7:00 am
Gambba

DT wrote:
I have the same happening; just started to notice it in the last month. Car is going back to dealer for a few minor bits and bobs next week so will ask them to look at it then.

DT

Let us know what they find Thumbs Up

The only other issue I have is the seat belt wearing into the pillar plastic, which is starting to be come obvious at just shy of 6000 kms in 3 months of ownership.

Post #21083 28th May 2008 7:32 am
snappa

Yeah let us know what they say DT.
I get the feeling you will be sitting in the car saying to the mechanic 'There, hear it?' and him saying nope can't hear a thing.

Most of the time we as regular drivers of our cars hear little changes in noises but they, unless the sound is like a bag of monkeys being kicked around, can't easily hear it.

My last car was in the garage 3 times with a really annoying vibration noise on tickover which no mechanic ever found, or indeed heard. They tightened up the floor pan but no effect.
I eventually traced it myself to a loose air con pipe and fixed it myself.

I get the feeling I will have to live with it until it gets really bad...... Big Cry

Post #21097 28th May 2008 8:55 am
DT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

The helpful thing is that the noise stops when the fan is turned off but easily noticeable when turnered to speed 1 or 2.

DT

Post #21103 28th May 2008 9:42 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

My brother had something similar on his VW and it took the dealer a lot of time to recognise the noise and than even longer to find a solution. After a long time (and threats to write directly to VW) they replaced the fan unit. They said that this was not a recognised problem by VW and were reluctant to change the unit. Lots of phone calls and emails finaly convinced them. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21106 28th May 2008 10:15 am
PA51 ELY

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Stornoway Grey

Heres a strange one for you.

My Fan makes a noise as if it is going faster whenever I spray the washer jets onto the windscreen. It lasts for a few moments and then calms down again. Sound only comes from near side front which I assume is where the fan is housed.

Can all members please go and out and squirt your windscreen and tell me I am not going mad! (maybe worth turning your Barry Manilow CD down so your can hear it, or not)

Post #21118 28th May 2008 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

VW's and Audis turn the blower fan to re-circ while you squirt the screen to save sucking that screen wash smell into the car. Maybe the fl2 does same and the fan sounds louder when in re-circ? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21120 28th May 2008 1:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

PA51 ELY wrote:

My Fan makes a noise as if it is going faster whenever I spray the washer jets onto the windscreen. It lasts for a few moments and then calms down again. Sound only comes from near side front which I assume is where the fan is housed.

Can all members please go and out and squirt your windscreen and tell me I am not going mad! (maybe worth turning your Barry Manilow CD down so your can hear it, or not)

Been out in the FL2 just now, Turned down the Neil Diamond Greatest Hits, Laughing

Spray the washer jets and no alteration in the fan speed or sound.
same again whilst driving, no alteration

The only thing i coul hear is a slight click of a switch in the dashboard and the washer motor wizz away.

Then the smell of washer fluid Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21123 28th May 2008 2:18 pm
Matei

npinks wrote:
PA51 ELY wrote:

Been out in the FL2 just now, Turned down the Neil Diamond Greatest Hits, Laughing

Spray the washer jets and no alteration in the fan speed or sound.
same again whilst driving, no alteration

The only thing i coul hear is a slight click of a switch in the dashboard and the washer motor wizz away.

Then the smell of washer fluid

Same here as I used the washer jets on the way home. No alteration in the fan noise but then it was plesantly cool today and I don't really know if the AC was fully working.
Will try it again in a day or so after the car will stay under the sun for a longer time.
Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21125 28th May 2008 3:25 pm
Gambba

On mine I tested this morning with it and found fan speed 1 thru 3 is noisy, but any higher than that the noise is gone.

Post #21160 29th May 2008 9:00 am
snappa

Same for me.

Post #21164 29th May 2008 9:36 am
Matei

Guess that the more we use the AC the louder it will get anyway, on the other hand I've read that if we do not use the AC the seals will get dry and there will be more problems.
So unless the AC is doing a really squeky noise I would leave it alone.
I also understand that the AC is included in the normal service program.
If there is a problem with the fan than it should be ablle to locate it regardless if it's hot or cold but if it's a freon problem than it probably will be noticed only if it's hot.
It's sort of tricky for me at least as my service is due in Febuary but near the third year service I will have to ask them specifically to check the freon - if nothing else comes up meantime. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21198 29th May 2008 5:37 pm
snappa

Ask CG about freon.

He's freon weekends......

Post #21227 29th May 2008 8:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>