« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Unsmoothly folding mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mabo

Italy 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Thank you guys for your ideas!

Idea While reading your posts I wondered if the problem is related to jet-washing...

Post #20675 22nd May 2008 3:28 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

mabo wrote:
Thank you guys for your ideas!

Idea While reading your posts I wondered if the problem is related to jet-washing...

I also thought a bit about that. But the mirrors have also started squeeking long after washing, and having worked fine for a while.

But it is true. The car has done funny things after washing, but it always have corrected itself after drying up. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #20691 22nd May 2008 5:24 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Wash the mirrors before jet washing to avoid blasting grit into the hinge. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #20692 22nd May 2008 5:28 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Do you mean if wrongly directed jets destroyed some seals and water ingress damaged the folding mechanism?
As far as I know LR recomended water jets to avoid the parking sensors. THere was nothing related to power washing and the mirrors. Actually I don't think the seals in the mirror foldind mechanism should be too fragile as the FL2 is supossed to take her share of off-road and mud. Mit just be seals with fabrication faults? Is it actually a noise also to suggest that the mechanism is strugelling to work and for some reason te movement is more difficult? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20693 22nd May 2008 5:30 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Matei wrote:

What have they replaced ? The whole system including both side mirrors or just the folding/unfolding system ?

Yes they replaced complete unit both sides. I guess that is easier than dismantling them to replace only certain parts.

I must admit when I saw that the mirrors fold every-time the car is locked/unlocked my first thought was to be concerned that the mechanisms would not stand up to such use. But they seem to be doing OK. all be it they have been replaced, but as long as they're replaced under warranty I'm not too worried, this may be an issue when the car is older and out of warranty.

One reason I like the folding mirrors is that I have this OCD thing where I have to repeatedly check things I've done. One of the classics ones is locking the car, walking away then thinking 'did I lock the car', at which point I have to go back and check it. Now with the folding mirrors I don't have to go all the way back to the car and check doors, all I have to do is get close enough to see that the mirrors are folded!!! (sad but true)

Post #20729 23rd May 2008 1:45 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

avtur wrote:
Matei wrote:

What have they replaced ? The whole system including both side mirrors or just the folding/unfolding system ?

Yes they replaced complete unit both sides. I guess that is easier than dismantling them to replace only certain parts.

I must admit when I saw that the mirrors fold every-time the car is locked/unlocked my first thought was to be concerned that the mechanisms would not stand up to such use. But they seem to be doing OK. all be it they have been replaced, but as long as they're replaced under warranty I'm not too worried, this may be an issue when the car is older and out of warranty.

One reason I like the folding mirrors is that I have this OCD thing where I have to repeatedly check things I've done. One of the classics ones is locking the car, walking away then thinking 'did I lock the car', at which point I have to go back and check it. Now with the folding mirrors I don't have to go all the way back to the car and check doors, all I have to do is get close enough to see that the mirrors are folded!!! (sad but true)

I can fully understand that as it happens to me also. Sometimes I ask other people (who are either comming or leaving) to have a look if the windows are folded or not. Had the same usefull folding mirrors on my last 407 and came to apreciate it (never had a problem with them in three years even if sometimes they got stuck in ice or snow) Thumbs Up FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20731 23rd May 2008 6:13 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

avtur wrote:

One reason I like the folding mirrors is that I have this OCD thing where I have to repeatedly check things I've done.

you need Scotsters number plate

hope you don't mind use of your pic scot Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21417 1st Jun 2008 9:34 pm
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thats fine CG.

I did actually get OCD intentionally....my wife hoovers the house twice a day. Smile

Guess I shoudl scrub using photoshop as everyone else does?

S. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #21420 1st Jun 2008 10:04 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Personally I scrub because any unscrupulous person trying to find a 'ringer' for their identical 'dodgy' LR2 can get a number plate that to police would match the DVLA files........

Not that that sort of thing goes on of course Whistle

Post #21971 10th Jun 2008 11:12 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The thing is the 'person' could just as easy get a reg from the supermarket forcourt too or on the motorway

I took mine out as on the Tong photos i was taking the others peoples out as I wouldn't know there preference etc

Makes no difference though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21973 10th Jun 2008 11:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12