« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > At last, useful Sat Nav settings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
At last, useful Sat Nav settings

At the risk of teaching you all to suck eggs, I've finally managed to get my sat nav and TMC working in a way that I trust. After many miles of blindly accepting the 'oh so softly spoken' "There is slow traffic ahead" without knowing what specific traffic jam she was talking about, I now have my screen split into 2 maps, with a small scale one on the left and a large scale one on the right. This way, I can see the little yellow and red arrows showing the traffic issues long before Mrs SatNav starts to whisper sweet avoidance routes in my ear!

I've always been a bit sceptical of TMC, but now at least I can make a judgement about the information it provides.

BG

Last edited by boiledgnat on 20th May 2008 1:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #20481 20th May 2008 1:07 pm
AlexG

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

That's a handy trick - thanks.

Post #20482 20th May 2008 1:13 pm
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

But I bet it will still not accept Latitude and Logtitude co-ordinates which are not on the public highway ie Forestry Commission or Army land.

Sice posting this I have been informed by a guy who works for LRE that this is so you are not tempted to take the FR2 into extreme situations where it may note cope but it appeaers that RR's and Disco's have a different CD rom with much more info on it.
Does anybody have RR or Disco and a FR2 to see if the CD roms are interchangable? Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #24560 21st Jul 2008 12:57 pm
neobug103

2008 LR2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

what exactly are you talking about, TMC? Living in the US, we just have the regular dvd based navigation system. What do you mean sat nav system?

Post #32707 9th Dec 2008 8:47 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Bill Turner wrote:
[color=red]But I bet it will still not accept Latitude and Logtitude co-ordinates which are not on the public highway ie Forestry Commission or Army land.[/color]
Sice posting this I have been informed by a guy who works for LRE that this is so you are not tempted to take the FR2 into extreme situations where it may note cope but it appeaers that RR's and Disco's have a different CD rom with much more info on it.
Does anybody have RR or Disco and a FR2 to see if the CD roms are interchangable?

Not sure what you mean here Question I can punch in Lat. & Long coordinates for my mountain home that is situated on a mountain farm property and at the end of several mountain tracks at least 6km. from the nearest numbered road and easily compaired to any UK Forestry Commission land. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #32709 9th Dec 2008 9:26 am
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Bill Turner wrote:
But I bet it will still not accept Latitude and Logtitude co-ordinates which are not on the public highway ie Forestry Commission or Army land.

Does anybody have RR or Disco and a FR2 to see if the CD roms are interchangable?

You've been told a load of rubbish.

My FL2 factory fit sat nav has lat / long co-ordinate destination entry. I've tried it off road at a friends farm and it works fine. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #32711 9th Dec 2008 9:49 am
Bill Turner

You've been told a load of rubbish.

My FL2 factory fit sat nav has lat / long co-ordinate destination entry. I've tried it off road at a friends farm and it works fine.[/quote]

That is probably because if you look on an OS map the farm is shown.

In the middle of Kielder Forest all that shows on the screen is a light green background and the vehicle icon but my Tom Tom shows every forest track.

Quote:
 Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #32743 9th Dec 2008 7:22 pm
Bill Turner

AndyC wrote:
Bill Turner wrote:
[color=red]But I bet it will still not accept Latitude and Logtitude co-ordinates which are not on the public highway ie Forestry Commission or Army land.[/color]

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here :?: I can punch in Lat. & Long coordinates for my mountain home that is situated on a mountain farm property and at the end of several mountain tracks at least 6km. from the nearest numbered road and easily compared to any UK Forestry Commission land.

I think this maybe because as with Stormsky your home is shown on a map but most Forestry Commission tracks are only logging access roads not going to a particular destination.

Anyway I will stick with my Tom Tom as I think it is a far superior product that the factory fitted unit and you can update a Tom Tom every day of the week for half the cost of the factory dvd which is only updated every 12 months. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #32745 9th Dec 2008 7:29 pm
Bill Turner

Quote:
[quote="neobug103"]what exactly are you talking about, TMC? Living in the US, we just have the regular dvd based navigation system. What do you mean sat nav system?[/
quote]

Hi neobug103 Sat nav is the abreviation for satellite navigation which has a satellite reciever which plots the vehicle position and sends this information to the unit containing the dvd which translates the information into the map which is shown on the screen.
As mentioned in my previous posts it appears that there are several versions of the cd depending upon which vehicle you have ie FL2 Discovery etc.and on which country you reside in.
The problem in the UK with this system is that the dvd is only updated every year and the update is expensive whereas with a portable unit such as the "Tom Tom" updates are downloadable 24/7 and their maping system is far superior to the LR kit.

Hope the above helps.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #32828 11th Dec 2008 2:14 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

Bill Turner wrote:
neobug103 wrote:
what exactly are you talking about, TMC? Living in the US, we just have the regular dvd based navigation system. What do you mean sat nav system?

Hi neobug103 Sat nav is the abreviation for satellite navigation which has a satellite reciever ...

And the TMC part is Traffic Message Channel, which is basically traffic info encoded on an FM channel using RDS.

- Dick

Post #32836 11th Dec 2008 3:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1