Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Landrover Extended Warranty; expensive but good value?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Landrover Extended Warranty; expensive but good value?

Is it just me, but do others think that Landrover Extended Warranty is rather expensive ?

Wife's Freelander is coming up to 3 years and Landrover have kindly sent a personalised brochure quoting £745 for a years warranty with assistance or £595 without. For what you get is this good value?

I can only compare it with the extended warranty on my BMW 33OD; £260 for named component and with £250 XS. Jules

Post #230496 2nd Aug 2014 5:10 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

That price seems a it expensive to me. A hell of a lot will need to go wrong with a car in one year to justify that price. Even without the breakdown cover , green flag is about £80 a year LR are taking twice that much and will probably use green flag. I would happily pay £600 for an extra 2 years cover but for just a year I think I will take my chances when that time comes.

Post #230497 2nd Aug 2014 5:15 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Unfortunately when things go wrong they can be expensive. It's a personal call I think, you either go for the peace of mind or you save the money and sort out anything if it happens.

Post #230520 2nd Aug 2014 9:05 pm
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'd agree about personal choice. All I would say was that I got replacement diff for previous FL2 on extended warranty and a replacement rear wiper motor so definitely more than paid for itself Smile 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #230524 2nd Aug 2014 9:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Just gone in to another year of extended warranty cover, each and every year I have been on the better side of the layout cost of it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #230528 2nd Aug 2014 9:47 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Landrover Extended Warranty; expensive but good value?

Jules,

My wife owns a 58 FL2, 2.2 td4. We bought it over 2 years ago from a well known Land Rover dealer.
It came with 6 months select used warranty & their Land Rover Assist cover. May not be the same as the one you have been offered?
The select used warranty covered everything, but what I wanted it to cover.
Didn't cover:- Front wheel bearing. Was not an MOT failure, but noisy. Replaced the hub myself.
Leaky rear upper brake light cover, wasn't covered. Re-sealed it myself.
Clogged fuel filter. Would not have covered diagnostics or replacement cost. Land Rover Assist guy replaced it, for the cost of the filter (£42). Noisy gear stick operation, not covered. Oiled it myself. Battery, not covered. Changed that myself. Some other bits & pieces were not covered too (serviceable items).

Now 18 months on from the warranty expiring. Nothing has gone wrong with it (touch wood). Neither do I have any warranty. I do keep it well serviced though.
I found the Land Rover Assist cover to be great. Select Used warranty, not so great.

With regards to your warranty, may be worth reading the small print, to see what's not covered.

I have a current warranty running on my 5 year old Astra, bought second hand from a vaux main dealer. That warranty seems very good. Covers cost of diagnostics, even if final repair not covered by warranty. Covers clutch kit too, including for wear & tear. Wheel bearings covered, even if not an MOT failure. Landy has now gone.

Post #230549 2nd Aug 2014 11:45 pm
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

I would recommend warranty direct, they covered my D3 for around £500 p/a. We'll worth it IMO they paid out four fold on my premium in claims for things like wishbones, bushes, bearings, electrics, locks, stereo, egr, turbo, and no hassle when the LR dealer rang to present the claim
I just bought a warranty wise cover from the non franchise dealer I got my FL2 from, I ran the quote myself and it was £1500 for two years for top cover platinum plus cover, which covers everything with no weasel words according to Quentin!, Dealer said he would run the quote which included £100 p/h labour rates and got an even higher level of cover with warranty wise for £720 for 2 years! Obviously I went with that. I love land rovers but they are Censored unreliable things so wouldn't entertain owning one without a warranty unless I win the lotto

Post #230553 3rd Aug 2014 12:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1