Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Wheel cleaner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm not big into 'detailing' but have a bit of an idea whats going on.

I thought you could use a very high stregth cleaner on the alloys then apply a protective finish that reduces the impact of brake dust etc, such that you can do a number of intermediate low strength cleans before having to use the mega stregth stuff again, thereby keeping the wheels clean but not reducing their life expectancy.

Is that right ???

Post #20159 14th May 2008 8:54 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
I'm not big into 'detailing' but have a bit of an idea whats going on.

I thought you could use a very high stregth cleaner on the alloys then apply a protective finish that reduces the impact of brake dust etc, such that you can do a number of intermediate low strength cleans before having to use the mega stregth stuff again, thereby keeping the wheels clean but not reducing their life expectancy.

Is that right ???

I guess if you use a high strength cleaner it it VERY important that it is very well washed off with LOTs of water afterwards, otherwise the acid content may attack the metal - That is what I have always been lead to believe.
Would have thought a normal wax on the wheels afterwards would be good enough to repel the brake dust until the next wash Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #20161 14th May 2008 9:05 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Auto-express tested these wheel waxes and recommended "turtle wax extreme nano-tech wax" never tried it but it does make some sense. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #20163 14th May 2008 9:20 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

I almost never use any wheel cleaner. All wheel cleaners are acidic and attack the wheels. Not a problem whilst the laqueur is on but as soon as it gets scratched the water gets in and you've got clouding and corrosion.

I clean them up as best I can using wonder wheels to get the bulk off and tcut afor the stubborn bit (I'm told neat diesel is pretty good for this) nd then give them a nice thick coat of alloy wheel wax (can't remember the make but I got it from halfrauds). Redo the wax every 3 months and there is no need to dowse the wheels in acid again. the brake dust just washes off. When it gets stubborn - time to rewax. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20205 15th May 2008 2:31 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

How easy is it to apply the wax on the wheels?

Is it spray on or do you have to apply it by cloth?
Confused

Post #20207 15th May 2008 3:12 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Seems Jules has a very good point.

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewt...de836271ae FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #20259 16th May 2008 6:42 am
ValetecDavid

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

what ever you use to seal your alloy ,dont spray it on the wheels as it will over spray on to your discs and could cause serious cotamination problems,
use an acid based wheel cleaner once to get the wheels in really good condition,then use a safe wheel cleaner(non acid) i use smart wheels by autosmart (trade product) but some people do resell it on e bay , then a wheel sealer
if you dont want to buy it spray some pledge furniture polish on to a cloth (dont spray direct,)then coat the wheel and buff up .
this seals the wheels untill the next wash and helps prevent/slow down the build up of brake dust and stubbon deposits
cheers David L Wax on Wax off

Post #20263 16th May 2008 7:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

I've used Carplan 'Wonder Wheels' on my wheels maybe three time in 15 months. Didn't think it was anything special, but just looked at the label and it contains hydrochloric acid Shocked

Post #20276 16th May 2008 12:13 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

avtur wrote:
I've used Carplan 'Wonder Wheels' on my wheels maybe three time in 15 months. Didn't think it was anything special, but just looked at the label and it contains hydrochloric acid Shocked

Absolutely - what you are doing is blathering fairly strong acid (just get a drop on your jeans and you'll have a hole in no time) all over your shiny new car.

I used to use wonder wheels every couple of weeks on my E class until I looked at the wheels one day and whilst clear of brake dust, they had a dull white finish that I'd put down to age. After a bit of thought I realised that all alloys are is metal with laquer paint on top. We wouldn't use acid to clean the paintwork so why the wheels? After a couple of years of acid treatment, its hardly surprising that the laquer had gone dull and opaque.
So I got some tcut and car polish and treated them asif they were a normal dull body panel. they came up a treat.

The wheel wax I bought is just a thicker wax (car wax is too thin and doesn't last in that environment) that comes in a squeazy bottle. Its applied in the same way as normal wax - a clean cloth, blather it all over, leave for 20 mins, wipe off and buff up. Pay particular attention to any scrapes as this will be bare metal. I blather even more on those and it seems to slow down the oxidisation.

I do the merc every 3-6 months. I did the FL a few weeks ago. So far so good though with the mud I suspect that will need doing more frequently.

Anyone played with claybars? 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #20283 16th May 2008 1:28 pm
ValetecDavid

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

clay bars oh yes ... get me started on valeting i am obsessed,the wife rubs me down with a clay bar regularly LOL Wax on Wax off

Post #20297 16th May 2008 4:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

Joules

Thanks for your comments, hopefully having used wonder wheels only 3 times in 15 months I haven't done too much damage, and I'm very thorough in rinsing it off. The problem with protecting wheels, as opposed to body work, is that wheels tend to expereicne extremes of temperature (because of the brakes) and the effect of brake dust, so they clearly need different treatment to the rest of the car.

Valtec

Clay bars, don't start,I've heard soooo much about them, I'm trying really hard to resist them !!

Post #20307 16th May 2008 8:23 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Tried the TurtleWax wheel polish two weeks ago and it appears to the job very well. The dirt/brake dust forms into black spots all around, when the wheels have been wet, so it's beading well, always a sign that wax is protecting. Cleaning is much easier, as the muck just wipes off. Thumbs Up Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #20415 19th May 2008 10:15 am
Grumpy

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Izmir Blue

Wonderwheels is great and does not do any damage Grumpy

Post #21150 28th May 2008 10:27 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

wonder wheels is a strong acid and DOES damage wheels with continuous use

I use p21s red Gel, Sticks like CG after he's been mucking out but does the job

I need to get a decent clay bar to go at the harder deposits on my wheels, the Meg's Quick details just doesn't shift them. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21151 28th May 2008 10:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
Stinks like CG after he's been mucking out

Wana say that again?

wonder wheels has never damaged my wheels  At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #21154 29th May 2008 8:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top