« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > BLACKS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Fool on the Hill

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
BLACKS

Can anyone explain the difference between the LR "blacks" to me?
As far as I know there are 3 options:
Narvik
Sumatra
Santorini
Maybe there are more out there that I don't know about?
I've seen some people on this forum who seem to be mad about one black in particular......any explanations as to why?
My plan was to get a Stornoway Grey one, but that went wrong (see my story under "Buying advice") and now may consider black, as something seems to be available short term....

Post #19828 10th May 2008 4:44 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Now CG will enjoy explaining everything to you about blacks so I won't spoil this for him.
Anyway the best color is the one your better half approves Thumbs Up
Just go for the color you like or the best deal you get not necessarily in this order.
To cheer you up: what in the world will the dealer do with the most basic FL2 with Alcantara leather? Rolling with laughter
Imagine if you woud have wanted the red leather Rolling with laughter FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19830 10th May 2008 4:54 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

CG must be having a nap!

If your car was built Feb 2008 onwards it will be Santorini. I placed my order 30 Jan for Narvik and was told it was discontinued, as was Sumatra. Narvik was solid and FREE, whereas the other two are metallic and £490. Santorini is superb though! Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #19833 10th May 2008 5:32 pm
SkyDive

Greece 2007 Freelander 2 i6 S Auto Sumatra Black

If im not mistaken
Santorini is the replacement (same ) of the Narvik
Sumantra is black with some blue in it.

Post #19834 10th May 2008 5:32 pm
Matei

SkyDive wrote:
If im not mistaken
Santorini is the replacement (same ) of the Narvik
Sumantra is black with some blue in it.

Now you are really spoillng it for CG Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Anyway LR dealears allways seem to import only the mettalic (600 EUR + VAT 19% here) so the only choice Santorini. Maybe LR changed the black code because Santorini is one of the locations where Atlantis is supossed to have been?
Even as it may be and the Santorini might be similar to the Narvik if you have any car body problems the dealear will anyway say that the color you have is the most difficult to match. Unfortunately this is not a "black exculs Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up ive" FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19835 10th May 2008 6:02 pm
Fool on the Hill

To all replies so far: names don't really mean anything don't they.... According to Skydive there's some blue in Sumatra Black.
But "NARVIK" and "SANTORINI".....?
Is there anyone out there with pictures of a sumatra black? I'm considering this as there seems to be a dealer out there who has no trouble converting an HSE to a commercial. (Think of the lovely back seats in leather taken out...). It seems one with a beige interior. I understand from other posts that the seats are only half leather; only the part of the seat you sit on....the sides are pvc... Shocked
I won't do any deal with him though until I have seen the bloody thing for real and checked ALL the specs.

My not-wanted basic model with custom Alcantara front seats (and door inserts!!!) and Parrot kit and towbar will make someone very happy one day maybe.... but not me. I wish now that I HAD opted for RED leather... Mr. Green Banging Head

Post #19836 10th May 2008 6:31 pm
Matei

Fool on the Hill wrote:
To all replies so far: names don't really mean anything don't they.... According to Skydive there's some blue in Sumatra Black.
But "NARVIK" and "SANTORINI".....?
Is there anyone out there with pictures of a sumatra black? I'm considering this as there seems to be a dealer out there who has no trouble converting an HSE to a commercial. (Think of the lovely back seats in leather taken out...). It seems one with a beige interior. I understand from other posts that the seats are only half leather; only the part of the seat you sit on....the sides are pvc... Shocked
I won't do any deal with him though until I have seen the bloody thing for real and checked ALL the specs.

My not-wanted basic model with custom Alcantara front seats (and door inserts!!!) and Parrot kit and towbar will make someone very happy one day maybe.... but not me. I wish now that I HAD opted for RED leather... Mr. Green Banging Head

Glad to see that your humor is back Thumbs Up
Pictures are all right but at lease at my dealer they have this kind of color samples that really are much better to help you make an ideea about the color. Also the showrooms they have , usually at least a black even if it's a RRS or a Disco. The dealer should be able to tell you if the color is similar or not. After all LR will not have 5 or 6 kinds of blacks on standby just to see who will order what. Actally LR is quite good with the clor choice as I yhink yhat BMW only offers cohices of black blue Question and maybe other colorfor their X3 or X5.
Audi Q7 I've only seen in white. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19839 10th May 2008 6:44 pm
Fool on the Hill

bling bling black?

Shocked Had a look at XXtrail's gallery; thanks for the pictures. Some amazing shots of Santorini Black....!
Looks like glossy black tar with loads of bits of broken bottles of various colours in it....
Am I wrong in saying that Santorini should also be known as "BLING BLING BLACK".....?? Wink

Post #19842 10th May 2008 7:46 pm
Matei

Re: bling bling black?

Fool on the Hill wrote:
Shocked Had a look at XXtrail's gallery; thanks for the pictures. Some amazing shots of Santorini Black....!
Looks like glossy black tar with loads of bits of broken bottles of various colours in it....
Am I wrong in saying that Santorini should also be known as "BLING BLING BLACK".....?? Wink

Us non black or Rolling with laughter grey owners are notworthy to comment
FOR NOW MY THOUGHTS ARE - WHERE IS CG? FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19843 10th May 2008 7:52 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

*settles down with a cup of tea and some biccies to wait for CG explain about blacks*

Now, tell me again, black is like silver right?

Very Happy

Post #19847 10th May 2008 8:45 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Don't worry Fool on the Hill, my 'bling-bling' black only looks that way when a couple of feet away in full sun. Most of the time she's a gorgeous, lustrous, dense black. I don't fancy having to touch her up though Wink

You may have guessed that (like the awol CG) I like my black FL2. By the way, the first time I saw the colour was when she was handed over, as when I ordered her, the dealer hadn't received the new colour swatches. I wasn't disappointed. Thumbs Up

I believe that Sumatra had silver flecks (a CG post???).
Narvik was just gloss black and easy to touch up. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #19850 10th May 2008 9:17 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

Don't no if this pic will help or not.

I would say Sumatra Black has a kind of blackberry look in bright sunlight.

Click image to enlarge

Post #19851 10th May 2008 9:20 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Lets be honest here, black is a pain in the arse... until you give it a nice polish and then wow it just jumps out at you, easily the best colour for a car, then its dirty again and you curse n curse as you wash it again, oh but then its shiney again and you forgive it for its dirty sins.
Blacks like the best looking Girl of the group.. she knows it and demands your full attention,without that you get nothing in return.... she uses you but you keep going back for more.

As far as I know sumutra has silver metallics flakes,Santarini a rainbow of flakes and Narvik was solid black. All nice if your a fool for love!

But if your the type of guys who went for the lesser looking girls for an easy life ...choose grey!! Laughing Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19855 10th May 2008 10:50 pm
ValetecDavid

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

yep we ordered samatra and were told it wasnt available anymore .......strange to discontinue that early on in a production run,so we got santorini and yep george is correct it seems to have multi coloured flecs in it it is really great when clean and in the sun Wax on Wax off

Post #19875 11th May 2008 1:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

My last car was black.

Looked great clean as cg says but you won't find a worse colour for showing dirt, dust, mud and worst of all, scratches.

Post #19898 11th May 2008 5:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>