« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Asda Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Asda Tyres

Needed some new rear tyres. Spent a while looking for best price on-line and locally. In the end Asda seemed to be offering the best deal with a pair of Michelin Latitude Tours at £288 plus some pennies, fitted etc. I could find other suppliers a tad cheaper but the prices didn't include fitting.

The fitter at Halfords commented on the price and reckoned it would be difficult to beat. My usual supplier (Bathwicks) wanted £306 and they have always been the best price available in the past.

Thought others looking for tyres might find it useful to check Adsa tyres online - not an obvious source in my mind!

Post #221591 8th Apr 2014 11:54 am
MidlandRover

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Think for the small difference in price I would have stuck with my usual (trusted?) supplier. FL2 SD4 Metropolis Auto Santorini Black / ivory completely stock.

It's true that light travels faster than sound, some people look quite intelligent until you hear them speak.

Stop global winging.

Post #221600 8th Apr 2014 2:16 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Same here. Once the 'big boys' have driven the small independants out of business, see how cheap they will be then. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221608 8th Apr 2014 4:16 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

just purchased 4 Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 235/60/18 £560 fully fitted, was quite happy with that deal.

Iain

Post #221609 8th Apr 2014 4:16 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Some of the big boys use small independents as their fitting centres, and in doing so help keep them afloat. My last set were sourced through Black Circles and fitted by a small independent in Weardale - I doubt he'd survive without the work Black Circles put his way, as he's pretty much in the middle of nowhere with little local trade. (But for BC I wouldn't have used him, as I didn't know he was there!)

Post #221613 8th Apr 2014 4:25 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

my local fitter arrives in fully equipped van and changes tyres on your driveway, selling every tyre from bike to combine harvester, he can get most stock next day. he isnt tied to any brand so whilst maybe not the cheapest he wont steer me towards a non value product.
I've known him since primary school so trust him so dont even both price checking him. As I'd have to research tyre first and tbh I havn't a clue whereas he fits them everyday and knows which tyres are value etc. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #221621 8th Apr 2014 5:39 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I'm in total shock - a farmer actually trusting someone Smile MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #221695 9th Apr 2014 12:01 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

hes not a vanner At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #221709 9th Apr 2014 1:05 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I can see the principle of always using small independents and admire those who are committed (and wealthy) enough to always part with extra cash in order to do so. I must confess that I cannot but wonder how many follow it through though? ie always use butchers, bakers, greengrocers, fishmongers etc instead of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's, Lidl's and so on? All credit and respect to those who do.

For myself I am not sure that Asda flogging tyres on-line and using a variety of fitters including smaller Independents, to supply and fit them, is any different to using farmers and manufacturers to supply the stuff they sell in store. The places doing the supply and fitting is doing it for a price and not for free that for sure.

Post #221743 9th Apr 2014 7:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Oh, I thought you had an Asda that supplied and fitted tyres like they do at Costco. At least a small independent gets something from it. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #221746 9th Apr 2014 7:34 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

I used Asda tyres last year for my wife's car. I think the website is hosted by some form of wholesaler/agent and Asda is just the 'front end' much like others online, with a network of signed up fitters to pick from at the time of purchase. The tyres I had fitted were not held by the fitter, but delivered prior to my appointment.

As to using local independents, there is a balance to be struck IMO, we live in a small village and are lucky to have a variety of shops and services - I don't go to the hardware store for everything, but can be quicker and cheaper (taking into account fuel use) to walk there than going to B&Q. He can be competitive on price too. I always buy my paper in the paper shop rather then the Co-op. I use the petrol station regularly as well - he is cheaper than the Shell garage on the way to work and if we didn't use these shops regularly, they may not be there next time you really need them. That goes just as much for me as it does for the people who never, ever use them except in an emergency and then find it's closed through lack of business. I hope that makes sense! 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #221751 9th Apr 2014 8:53 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have just ordered 2 x Scorpion Zeros from a local garage in the next village. £150 ea fitted inc VAT. Asda charging £146.40 for same. Rather give the business to the local man - he also does services & MOTs - and for bikes too!.
Bob

We also use the local butcher (who has his own slaughterhouse) plus get the fruit & veg at the weekly market. Guilty of getting most dry goods & non perishables from the supermarket though. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #221762 9th Apr 2014 11:55 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Dunkley, how many miles did you get from your original tyres ? I take it they were Scorpion Zeros ?

Iain

Post #221767 10th Apr 2014 8:33 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Cannot help there, Iain. This car is new to me. I am replacing 2 x Scorpions early (1@ 3mm (the spare) & 1@4mm and putting the remaining 6mm as the spare. Prime reason is to try to eliminate some vibration I am experiencing. NB. The other two are Accelera Iotas (7mm) which I will keep on the back & get rid as soon as they are below 4mm.
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #221769 10th Apr 2014 8:53 am
taztastic

England 

Iain, I have just put on my third set of Scorpions, the car is on 72,000 now, both sets gave excellent service on/off road and were changed at 3-4 mm left on them.

Post #221770 10th Apr 2014 9:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>