Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front brake upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mallah

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

What does that do to the Insurance as a modification? SD4 Auto 2012 GS Stornoway Grey.
Previous: TD5 2.5 Landmark Auto 2004, Range Rover Classic 3.9 Auto 1991

Post #226914 12th Jun 2014 11:28 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Well i've just ordered a complete upgrade for mine. The stock discs & pads are done for so it was going to be a big job either way...

I was *this close* to going for the Volvo V60/70R Brembo calipers on the front, along with the 330mm discs, and using a spacer ring like gruodiz did with the XC90 discs, but decided it was too much $$$ for me. After trawling the Volvo forums I came to the following understanding.

V60/70R Brembo calipers/discs are a direct bolt on to the XC90
XC90 discs & calipers fit the LR2 (with the hub adaptor ring)
So the R Brembo caliper/discs would also fit the LR2, with the hub adaptor ring

But, it would have been another $800 or so on top of what i've just spent, plus the messing around with the rings, so I decided to go with the XC90 calipers instead.

Have ordered the following:

Brand new Volvo XC90 calipers for the front, aftermarket ones without the Volvo logo.

Centric / StopTech High Carbon Rotors all round
125.39044 336x28 fronts for various Volvo's (S80, XC70, etc.)
125.22018 302x20 rears (stock LR2 size)

EBC Redstuff Ceramic Pads (low dust!!!!)
DP31690C XC90 ones for the front
DP31933C Volvo S80 for the rear (same pad as the Freelander2)

And a new set of Centric handbrake shoes 111.09370

Just need to sort out the dust shields on the front.

Will update when the parts are here & fitted. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #232776 26th Aug 2014 5:38 am
realspeed

United Kingdom 

I have to wonder how hard and fast a person drives before they find the braking is weak.Knowing about engine braking and the correct way to slow a car down to bring it to a stop has not been taught. They only time when excessive braking is necessary is in an emergency. Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #232778 26th Aug 2014 6:48 am
Cambo

These cars chew through brakes. The OEM grade of pads are very poor, especially in the generation of brake dust.

Driving everyday in peak hour traffic in a large busy city, the stock brakes on this car get heavily worked.

The dust alone is enough of a reason for me to do something.

At the same time for less money than the OEM rotors can buy the High-Carbon rotors (which are also coated on the hubs & inside the vanes so they don't rust, unlike the crap OEM ones).

Changing to the XC90 front calipers and bigger discs? Why not? Some of us still have a pulse.

Oh and by the way, you don't have to lecture me about how to drive, though you are quite welcome to try your luck with my wife, since it's her car & she is the one driving it every day. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #232780 26th Aug 2014 7:19 am
leesbay

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Just a thought, are the brake discs on my 3.2 i6 Freely better than the standard FL2? Probably save a lot of faffing about?
I use standard LR discs and EBC pads. Stops as fast as any BMW or Porsche I have driven
Parts will be cheap too I have just put new discs and pads on the back for £40 bought off eBay genuine i6 parts - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #232791 26th Aug 2014 1:44 pm
Cambo

The 3.2 has slightly bigger discs than the 2.2

316x28 vented front
302x20 vented rear

300x28 vented front
302x12 solid rear

Calipers/pads are basically the same.

The car "stops" well enough, it's just that (IMHO) the brakes are on the small side for a 2-tonne 4WD that can potentially become 5 tonnes on the road (fully loaded vehicle towing 2 tonnes) and the stock pads are crap, mainly because of the dust.

Having spoken with a few other owners they have all agreed that the pads/discs have needed changing more often than on other vehicles. i.e. the brakes are overworked. The volume of dust is the prime example, all that dust is just pad/rotor material that has been shed, and it's a lot!

By going to ceramic pads without upgrading the discs the risk is that disc's get eaten away faster because the pads aren't the weakest link anymore. So you solve the dust problem but your discs are consumed faster.

That's my theory and i'm sticking to it, it's worked for me on the Jags so i'm happy to do it this way. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #232854 26th Aug 2014 10:48 pm
leesbay

Nice one, it appears the front are similar but a lot bigger on the rear for the 3.2

I have no complaints with my 3.2, and pad set up, and in comparison to my D3 brakes it's night and day! - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what I told her I paid for it, there will be some bargains out there!

Post #232856 26th Aug 2014 11:05 pm
Cambo

I would have said that the fronts are a little bigger 316 vs 302 but yeah the major difference is the rears vented vs. solid.

Guess i'm a bit spoilt with the Brembo's on the Jag; 365mm fronts, 330mm rears, but that's what I would call a "typical" difference in size front to rear. Having the same size discs front/rear is a little odd, although Volvo did do that with the V60/70R, but the fronts are a lot thicker on those.

But seriously, it's the dust that's doing my head in. It's been raining here non-stop for 2 weeks so I haven't washed the car for about the same time. Here's what the wheels look like (I just wiped a bit with my finger so you can see the contrast)

Click image to enlarge

I'm pretty fanatical about keeping the cars presentable, so this is driving me nuts... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #232863 26th Aug 2014 11:51 pm
leesbay

Yep I'm the same re brake dust that's why I use
EBC red stuff pads which are much better and lower dust output, and coat the alloys with a paint sealant such as Nanolex pro containing a Ptfe which keeps the dust from sticking, and makes washing a doddle without using alloy cleaner

The above helps dust but won't stop you any quicker!
Comparing a saloon with a 4x4 is a tough comparison for brakes but hope you achieve satisfaction without huge outlay - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

Post #232864 27th Aug 2014 12:09 am
Cambo

To be honest i'm not interested in stopping any quicker. The factory brakes are "fine" in that sense.

I'm doing this for several reasons, in this order of priority:

1. Minimise brake dust
2. Increase longevity of the brake components (this setup will last a long time)
3. If/when I have to tow, i won't have to worry about cooking the brakes
4. Better braking in general

One thing that's not been addressed is the brake lines, i'm searching for someone who has braided lines off the shelf for this vehicle, can't seem to find any and i'm not sure if Volvo S80 lines will be a correct fit or not...(EDIT, I see in the other thread http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20600.html that Rimmer Bros have these, will check it out).

I know it's not a fair comparison between a sporting saloon and small SUV. But at the end of the day brakes are brakes, they work the same way, and have to do more/less the same job. In fact the brakes on the Freelander (esp. the fronts) get worked even harder than those on the Jag in normal street driving; the FL2 is heavier, and the weight transfer to the front under braking is much greater because of the higher/softer suspension.

I think JLR realised this too in the end, it's probably one of the reasons that the new Evoque has received bigger brakes on the front... 350mm on the Autobiography.

Funny that EBC does not list the Redstuff for the Freelander, only the Greenstuff, i've had to buy the "Volvo" pads in order to get Redstuff... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #232865 27th Aug 2014 1:01 am
leesbay

M TEC brakes in the UK do world wide delivery
Red yellow and green stuff pads all available incl discs

The green stuff EBC pads are excellent, I ran them on a 645ci BMW but did find they were too hard in the winter in the Uk and needed a long warm up period - FL2 3.2 i6 - There is no Replacement for Displacement

Post #232875 27th Aug 2014 9:04 am
Cambo

bit of an eye opener as to the size of the front rotors and calipers compared to stock

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Still only single piston on the front but easily double the size of the little stock calipers, I was scratching my head as to why there was an extra box, and then I realized that each caliper had its own box they are that big...

Also have a set of Goodridge braided hoses

I painted the steel parts of the calipers with an aluminium coloured semi-ceramic paint, looks a lot better than that gold finish. Had to bake them in the oven at 200°C for an hour...

Click image to enlarge

Came up pretty good I think.

Click image to enlarge

The cheap aftermarket calipers didn't come with the anti-rattle springs, so I had to order some from the local Volvo dealer.

I knew that the rotors were worn, but I was pretty annoyed when I got them off and took some measurements.

Front
New thickness 30mm
Min. thickness 28mm
Act. thickness 26.8mm

Rear
New thickness 20mm
Min. thickness 18mm
Act. thīckness 16.5mm

Not happy. We've only done 10'000kms since we bought this thing...

Anyway, it's sorted now & I really like the way it stops, very progressive, no sudden jolt if you move your foot onto the pedal, and the harder you press the faster it stops. The brakes feel very similar to the Jag now.

Fronts before

Click image to enlarge

And after

Click image to enlarge

Rears after, but I hadn't put the braided hose on yet

Click image to enlarge

Braided hose

Click image to enlarge

Should be the last set of brakes ever to go on this thing...I just hope the brake dust is better, or i'm gonna go nuts... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #236606 2nd Oct 2014 1:59 am
denta

Italy 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I understood you run through a number of attempts and different set up involving volvo components etc... but now can you resume all the components finally installed sharing the links where to buy them if possible?
Thank you Embarassed Embarassed

Post #236614 2nd Oct 2014 9:18 am
Cambo

I bought everything off ebay.com (USA) and had them shipped to Australia, this might not be the most economical way to Italy...

The main thing to consider is:

Volvo XC90 Brake Calipers to suit 336mm brake rotors
Volvo XC70/S80 Brake rotors 336mm (these have the correct center bore, the XC90 center bore is different)

You can see the Centric part numbers in my previous post, you will find these on ebay if you search by part number. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #236970 6th Oct 2014 2:55 pm
denta

Italy 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Thank you!

Post #236974 6th Oct 2014 3:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>