Home > General > Free2, RRS or RRV???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Lewis Simmons

New Zealand 
Free2, RRS or RRV???

Hi,

I am trying to decide what car really would work best for me between the Sport, Vogue and Freelander 2.

I would primarily be using this for:

Going around town
A little bit of off road
Long Road Trips

If I was to buy today, my limits would be:

Freelander - Brand New Top Spec
RR Sport - $100,000 Used
RR Vogue - $100,000 Used

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks,
Lewis

Post #19299 5th May 2008 6:58 am
ValetecDavid

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

personally this is my choice........i would have a top spec Freelander,i am not just saying that because i am an owner my reasons are as follows

freelander would be new so less chance of expensive nasty repair bills to pay the sort you would get with a 2nd hand RR

fuel (dont know the cost of fuel in your country)but here a diesel turbo Freelander will do more miles than RR petrol but the cost per gallon is still very high at present so freelander over RR on that point

size i have driven both types of Range Rover i like the high up driving position and being able to see all round but i did find them a bit too big the frrlander is only a bit smaller as we measured it up against our friends RR sport but out on the road you still get a good high up driving position feel but the size seems just a bit more managable to drive.

quality of interior finnish.... with a top freelander you get a good standard of finnish ,now some would say that the RR is far better but i would disagree,once you get up to a certain spec anything above that tend to differ very little you get for arguments sake lots of electronic gizmos that sound good on paper but in reality when you get the car you dont really ever use,so as long as you have the usual top stuff stay away from the gimic electric gizmos because if you keep the car after 3 years you will be outside a warrentee so repairs will be down to you when they go wrong and they will and it will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
these are only my opinions i know other will disagree but hopfully you will get lots of posts to help you decide ,good luck any way all the best David L Wax on Wax off

Post #19305 5th May 2008 7:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Lewis - I agree 100% with ValetecDavid Thumbs Up Especially going around town with Very Happy - I know you have much better parking and road dimensions in towns than in the UK & Norway (have visited Aussie several times) but the FL2 is much easier for such use than its larger brothers. In addition it has very good off road capabilities Thumbs Up
Go for it Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #19308 5th May 2008 8:10 am
Lewis Simmons

New Zealand 

Sounds good. What I am just worried about is size not so much in height but more in length as boot space is crucial for long trips but by the sounds and look of it (saw official measurements) the Free2 is only a few if not a couple of inches shorter than the sport and the interior is basically the same.

Still would like to hear others opinions to get a larger perspective Very Happy Thanks,
Lewis

Post #19310 5th May 2008 8:14 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I would agree with VD.
When I bought mine I did give a thought at bouth a RRS and a RRV - used.
So for what I Paid for mine + a little extra I would have got a 2006 RRS (2,7 TDV which is slower and thistier than the FL2) or a 2005 RRV (4,2 I) both with 98.000 Km which meant no warranty. Also maybe the resale value after 3 years would be better than the one for a 7 or 8 year old RRS or RRV.
Maybe in three or four years after you resale your FL2 you'll be able to buy a new RRS or RRV.
Hope your finances improve.
As I do not want you to think that I am partial why not ask the same question on the RRS forum?
I see you did not consider a LR3. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19311 5th May 2008 8:20 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Lewis Simmons wrote:
Sounds good. What I am just worried about is size not so much in height but more in length as boot space is crucial for long trips but by the sounds and look of it (saw official measurements) the Free2 is only a few if not a couple of inches shorter than the sport and the interior is basically the same.

Still would like to hear others opinions to get a larger perspective Very Happy

whoops sorry your in NZ - (visited NZ as well) which is very much like Norway, even more reason for the FL2.
However I would agree, I am a little dissapionted by the boot space. Width and particullary the height is good if you fit the luggage cage to make use of the height, but the length is a bit on the short side Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #19312 5th May 2008 8:21 am
Lewis Simmons

New Zealand 

I did post this question in the RRS forums just to see what conflicting opinions i would get Very Happy

Would you recommend the LR3? Thanks,
Lewis

Post #19313 5th May 2008 8:25 am
Matei

Lewis Simmons wrote:
I did post this question in the RRS forums just to see what conflicting opinions i would get Very Happy

Would you recommend the LR3?

Did consider an LR3 but would have got only the entry level without the pneumatic suspension. and pmneumatic suspention is great.
I did not drive one but I have heard only good things about her.
A couple of month ago on Romanian TV there was a funny thing about BMW beeing coned in doing sone off-roading with their X3 . The X3 got stuck and they tried to pull it free with a X5 which got also stuck so they brought an elderly Dico to pull them out, which she did.
Guess it depends on how much/heavy off-roading and town driving you intend to do.
The LR3 is as fast as the FL2 which means a little faster than the RRS 2,7. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19315 5th May 2008 8:37 am
Lewis Simmons

New Zealand 

I think the LR3 just probably wouldnt be right.

Features like the swing out boot just wouldnt work because most of the time I will be parked in small spaces and accessing the boot will be crucial...swing out boots are really outdated.

Also I hate the dead flat end of the LR3, at least the LR2 has some curves. Thanks,
Lewis

Post #19316 5th May 2008 8:41 am
Matei

Had a look on RRS to see what they had to say about your post and found this on another thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-...otohosting

Now this is an interesting RRS FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19318 5th May 2008 8:56 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I'm sure I read in the paper that the entry level D3 (without air) is no longer going to be made? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19320 5th May 2008 9:04 am
Matei

chicken george wrote:
I'm sure I read in the paper that the entry level D3 (without air) is no longer going to be made?

Possible. End of last year when I had a look in the showroom in Romania they still had them and also in their offers at the beginning of 2008.
Maybe they were stock. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19324 5th May 2008 9:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

dave has made all the valid points, but

The d3 doesn't have a swing out boot they have a split boot one goes up and the lower section goes down to make a platform, which is ideal to sit on etc. and the load space is huge!!!!! Lots of people have them in Oz over on the Disco3 site and will be able to give there opinion.

What year RRS or Vogue would they be? 3 year warranty could always be extended if thats is a option. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #19328 5th May 2008 9:30 am
Lewis Simmons

New Zealand 

RRS would be 2006 and RRV would most likely be 2004.

Is importing an ideal option? Thanks,
Lewis

Post #19329 5th May 2008 9:32 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

If you are going to be putting your car into a garage at home then check the width of the doors. A Freelander2 is wider than an RRSport, even if it isn't as long. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #19338 5th May 2008 10:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>