« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Satnav problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pete123

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Satnav problems

I have found the satnav on my 08 hse pretty bad and wants to detour from the most sensible route like taking me off motorways and through towns all the time. Compared to tom tom its useless.

As I am thinking of an upgrade to a new freelander can anyone confirm if the system is the same dvd based one under the drivers seat.

Does getting new map discs help? Is the programming any better?

On my holiday last week we ended up down a farm track for no reason when travelling between Stafford and LLangolen in Wales. We ended up using my iPhone with tom on it it was that bad.

So before I waste money on a car with the same carp system whats the thoughts on this.

Post #223117 26th Apr 2014 12:37 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Pete. I cannot advise on the newer 2013MY system but I do have 2011/12 Volvo maps in mine. Slightly better mapping and more up to date re road changes etc. However, planning is still as original. Always carefully study the 3 route options before selecting. I find if you stray from the selected route for whatever reason it is incapable of thinking "outside the box" when computing a sensible re-route as per the Tom Tom. As a result, for longer "unknown" routes I still use my Tom Tom. Even more frustrating is the knowledge that the Volvo discs have over 4,500 speed cameras installed but there is no way of accessing them on a LR system!
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #223118 26th Apr 2014 12:53 pm
Pete123

Thanks, its kind of what I thought. As my wife is a programer she finds it really frustrating and feels that LR should have spent more on the development of this system. i agree with what you say about not being able to reroute and this seems the biggest problem. When a Tom is from £50 and a load better its a real pain. Satnav 2 on my iPhone is free:)

So maybe I will not worry about all the toys on a new car. What model has this spec.............

DAB
Phone prep
Leather
Sunroof
Xenons...? Maybe.
Parking front and rear.
ipod connection
190 BHP Very Happy

Post #223119 26th Apr 2014 1:06 pm
dunkley201

Pete
Your "min spec" looks to be at least XS or HSE. However even they don't get Xenons as std. Mine is a 10MY HSE but is missing ipod and Xenons. I know the latest model range specs have changed somewhat so you are best looking as the LR web site or going to your friendly local dealer.
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #223120 26th Apr 2014 1:16 pm
EYorkshire

The MY13 onwards SatNav now has an integrated HD based unit, it is faster to load and compute but the touchscreen response can be a tad slow at times when inputting via the screen keypad.

The 3 route option is still there but not sure if this is an improvement to the old system, but there is a preferences menu that has many options and by selection seems to re-route OK with me, semi intelligent at last Surprised

Also the 'learn' option seems to get a handle on what your preference seems to be and works quite well.

The interface is brilliant but the mapping fails in that you have to zoom in quite close for unclassified roads to appear, and then the screen/ahead mapping is to small to make sense of the area you are travelling in.

Post #223125 26th Apr 2014 2:29 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I've got the TomTom Start 60 permanently dash mounted in my 2010 GS, like a few others.

I had the use of a 2013 Evoque Dynamic Lux yesterday and was gob-smacked at how low-res the nav / entertainment screen was! I presume it's the same one as used in the newer FL2's as well. The actual functions seemed very comprehensive (loved the multiple cameras) but I'd be very disappointed to shell out Evoque Lux money and get that grainy, pixellated screen.

Last edited by le bouch on 26th Apr 2014 3:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #223126 26th Apr 2014 2:39 pm
EYorkshire

I would imagine there was a fault with that particular screen and/or the camera resolution, screen savers can be uploaded and a photo I have on mine is quite sharp with no sign of pixelation, also DVD films are quite well defined. In normal use pixelation is not apparent either, the only downside is the mapping detail is sub standard.

Post #223130 26th Apr 2014 3:18 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

In hindsight, I'd say 'pixellated' was a poor choice of words on my part. Definitely grainy though, and much lower res screen than even the TT Start 60, but especially my iPad mini as a comparison.
I didn't watch a movie on it though, I'm talking about the main menu screens and sat nav, mostly.

Post #223131 26th Apr 2014 3:27 pm
EYorkshire

That's cos the screens bl**dy filthy Laughing

Agree that the SatNav mapping would look bad even on a hi-res screen.

Post #223133 26th Apr 2014 3:50 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Yes the newer Satnav does not have a DVD memory. Software has to be updated by the dealer. I find it reasonable but agree it's rubbish compared with both Garmin and TomTom. My main complaint is that it hates going away from A Roads - a problem here in the fens where we have long straight minor roads which are often the quickest route. However it will learn your favourite routes (drive it three times and the software remembers it). I find the choice of three routes a bit unhelpful since the screen depiction is so small you can't really see where it is offering to take you. Other problems -
it doesn't do speed cameras (mind you I found the TomTom was pretty hit and miss - for example it didn't show any of the cameras on the A1 south of Peterboro!), nor does it show speed limits, which I found useful on the TomTom. When driving abroad I found the live updates a pain - it would suddenly tell you about "changed traffic conditions" and send you back the way you came. I ended up ignoring it. Also, mine obviously got confused on the way home as it occasionally wakes up and thinks it's in Hook of Holland!
Land Rover have helpfully removed the satnav "cubby hole", so if you don't have the LR satnav fitted there is no longer space to fit a TomTom Start60 or similar. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #223168 26th Apr 2014 10:32 pm
Pete123

So today I used tom tom and the in car sat for a journey in tandem into Birmingham, not too far but as a test pretty good.

WTF was the car Sat on, its down the M6 and in on the Aston express. I will not be using the in car system anymore unless it local and I roughly know it.

Rant over. Rolling Eyes

Post #223446 29th Apr 2014 2:36 pm
dunkley201

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Agreed! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #223458 29th Apr 2014 4:19 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Pete123 wrote:
So today I used tom tom and the in car sat for a journey in tandem into Birmingham, not too far but as a test pretty good.

WTF was the car Sat on, its down the M6 and in on the Aston express. I will not be using the in car system anymore unless it local and I roughly know it.

Rant over. Rolling Eyes

Have you checked the nut behind the steering wheel,generally a good place to start Smile
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the FL2 Nav, just needs setting up properly

Post #223485 29th Apr 2014 7:35 pm
ad210358

England 

It's pants really. It can divert you into lay-bys at random, it always used to send me along a certain By Pass when heading South, but on the return journey always insisted I travel through the village, you can programme it whilst on the drive and will give an ETA of two hours, drive for ten minutes and it then gives an ETA of one hour five minutes.

Post #223489 29th Apr 2014 7:41 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

They all have slightly odd quirks like that - for copyright reasons. The Garmin always tried to divert me through the driveway of Alleyn's school in Dulwich. The technical term is a "mountweazel".
What I find particularly strange about the LR version is that it can be taking me on the "fastest route", but when I divert onto a route I know to be faster it immediately gives me an earlier eta. In other words, it knows my route is faster, but won't show me it to start with. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #223518 29th Apr 2014 11:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1