Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Command shift - red-lining it ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gecko

Vatican 
Command shift - red-lining it ?

I was playing with the command shift this morning and although this is something many of you may know I was pleasantly suprised.

When shifting gear manually I found that if you just floor it and rev the engine up to the limiter the command shift automatically selects the next gear as the revs peak. This gives the optimum acceleration and let's you really get a move on.
Perhaps this is the same in all automatics but I've never had one before and prior to this I was manually changing up the gears - apparently too soon - now I know this I'll just let the command shift take over Thumbs Up

Post #19127 2nd May 2008 8:10 am
mjb

Germany 

Yeah, the command shift doesn't actually change gear, it askes the computer if it will change gear. The computer thinks about it and then either sends the command or not. If the requested change will push the RPM's outside the acceptable band (either above or below) it will dissallow it. Likewise, if the RPM's extend beyond the acceptable band the computer will change anyway, as you've found. - Mike

Post #19139 2nd May 2008 9:40 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

mjb wrote:
Yeah, the command shift doesn't actually change gear, it askes the computer if it will change gear. The computer thinks about it and then either sends the command or not. If the requested change will push the RPM's outside the acceptable band (either above or below) it will dissallow it. Likewise, if the RPM's extend beyond the acceptable band the computer will change anyway, as you've found.

What you mean is that you cannot practically drive in the gear you want?
What I mean is that if you want to use the third gear instead of the fourth because for some reason you consider it best , if the rev are enough for the fourth gear the computer will change it regardless if you want or not ?
Sorry if my question is stupid by I have allways driven only manual FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19140 2nd May 2008 9:53 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Basically if you was in 4th and wanted to use 3rd, if the revs were going to be redlined the car wouldn't let you go into that gear until the engine revs had slowed to make it safe.

I beleive it will always learn from you aswell, so if you was driving in command shift and went up a gear earlier than it would in full auto mode it learns you like to do this and does it aswell as full auto mode.

I presume it would learn that you like to stay in gear longer too. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #19142 2nd May 2008 10:06 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Command shift holds the gears longer than if you have it in Auto sport or standrad auto, but at some point it decides it's time to shift.

I found out the other day when I was in sand mode on the TR system that it didn't shift up automatically when in Command Shift but instead let me redline it. I was testing on the raod what somebody on here had said about Sand mode giving you more power and in doing so was hard accelerating and normally the car would shift if I forget, but it didn't, and instead kept bouncing off the limiter.

The Command Shift mode works perfectly, and I wouldn't want it to redline all the time, as sometimes driving in full auto or sport auto and then switching to CommandShift you forget to shift yourself occasionally, so the system does it for you. Downshifts work extremely well and give great engine braking.

Last edited by Gambba on 4th May 2008 9:22 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #19197 3rd May 2008 9:40 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

It knows that you don't want to intentionally blow up the engine so it saves it from being blasted in a million bits for you by changing up a gear!

If you engage commandshift 1st for the traffic lights Grand Prix and that idiot in the Saxo 1.0 with 3 tonnes of spoilers and a tonne of fancy purple paint on it thinks he will burn you up easily, just leave it in 1st and let rip, the gearbox will change up a million times faster than any manual ever can and it does it seemlessly and you will leave the idiot wondering what he is trying to race.

DON'T TRY THIS IF YOUR FREELANDER2 HAS A MANUAL GEARBOX............................... when you hit the rev limiter the engine will die briefly and won't shift up a gear by itself and you will be left struggling in the Saxo's exhaust fumes. Another good reason for buying an Auto! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #19202 3rd May 2008 10:45 am
Gambba

Tim in Scotland wrote:
It knows that you don't want to intentionally blow up the engine so it saves it from being blasted in a million bits for you by changing up a gear!

Not sure that's the reason because this it is the job of a rev limiter to protect the engine from blasting into a million bits, what it does do though is it prevents a sudden end to power gain when it hits the rev limiter, which can be unwelcome.

The system does the perfect job, which means I rarely use auto.......what it doesn't allow for is when you forget to shift down to first at a junction and then try and slowly pull off in second instead! Banging Head

Post #19240 4th May 2008 9:28 am
mjb

Germany 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
If you engage commandshift 1st for the traffic lights Grand Prix and that idiot in the Saxo 1.0 with 3 tonnes of spoilers and a tonne of fancy purple paint on it thinks he will burn you up easily, just leave it in 1st and let rip, the gearbox will change up a million times faster than any manual ever can and it does it seemlessly and you will leave the idiot wondering what he is trying to race.

Or stay in D and select "Sand" mode and floor it, this really lets rip. Amazing! Its like a totally different car. - Mike

Post #19314 5th May 2008 8:35 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Tim in Scotland wrote:

DON'T TRY THIS IF YOUR FREELANDER2 HAS A MANUAL GEARBOX............................... when you hit the rev limiter the engine will die briefly and won't shift up a gear by itself and you will be left struggling in the Saxo's exhaust fumes. Another good reason for buying an Auto!

I like this part especially "DON'T TRY THIS IF YOUR FREELANDER2 HAS A MANUAL GEARBOX............................... "
Guess this is the reason why the FL2 on auto is quicker than the manual on the 0-60 miles sprint.
Not long ago there was no auto that could do this to a manual.
Technology has evolved so much FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #19317 5th May 2008 8:49 am
Gambba

Gambba wrote:
Command shift holds the gears longer than if you have it in Auto sport or standrad auto

I thought this was the case, but it doesn't seem to be when you floor it, and appears maybe CommandShift allows and extra 100rpm before shifting compared to Auto and Sport Auto.

Post #19469 6th May 2008 7:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

So is command shift the same as the manual option on my dads E320 Merc where you can nudge the stick left or right to change gears but it will revert to auto again if it decides you really should have changed gear by now? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #19481 6th May 2008 8:34 pm
Gambba

chicken george wrote:
So is command shift the same as the manual option on my dads E320 Merc where you can nudge the stick left or right to change gears but it will revert to auto again if it decides you really should have changed gear by now?

Kind of but not......

It does not so much revert as you still remain in CommandShift mode.

CommandShift always allows you always to get up to the redline (or close to), so never shifts automatically lower than 6400 rpm (on the i6) unlike in auto mode where if it sees you have been in a gear for a long time in the higher rev range then it will decide to shift up automatically.

Sport auto mode is quicker to downshift a couple of cogs giving quicker acceleration and is more reactive to the positioon of the gas pedal in terms of shifting up or down.

Post #19505 7th May 2008 5:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1