Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto clutch smell when reversing caravan, normal or not.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Auto clutch smell when reversing caravan, normal or not.

Hello. I just parked up my caravan which required reversing up a tiny slope on grass and i had an awful burning clutch smell. The car struggled to push the caravan. This is with my new my14 auto.

when i was trying to reverse the revs would rise, car seems to struggle and then it launches backwards quickly, a total dog to reverse smoothly. Then i get burning clutch smell.

Having seen previous posts about autos towing merits i think i may have a problem. The car has only done 800 miles so maybe there is a bedding in period for the auto gearbox or something.

I don't think its sticking brakes as i get 36mpg with a roofbox. My manual fl2 never struggled.

Do auto boxs smell?.

Post #221902 11th Apr 2014 10:37 pm
lol geoff

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

You won't smell burning from an auto box unless you sniff the fluid itself. I'd be checking the trailer brakes if were you.

Post #221919 12th Apr 2014 9:35 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

An auto box shouldn't smell, no. It does sound like a brake issue, and as well as the trailer brake I'd check out the parking brake - on your car it's presumably electronic, and may not be releasing properly when reversing on a slope. (I recently watched a Subaru dragging its rear wheels manoeuvring on a slope because the EPB didn't release quickly enough.)

Post #221923 12th Apr 2014 9:48 am
EYorkshire

My auto reverses the van on the flat and incline OK, as said you may have a brake fault on the car but more likely the reverse trailer brake is not releasing properly.

Post #221924 12th Apr 2014 9:57 am
Jonathan26

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Caspian Blue

I've no experience with an auto but plenty with caravan brakes. Unless something is damaged (base of handbrake or brake rod support bracket) caravan brakes don't ever suddenly get over tight. Has it been serviced recently ? If so, the brakes could have been over adjusted meaning the auto reverse mechanism in the drums can't release enough when reversing. Do you know if the hitch was compressing when you were reversing ? FL2 2007 57 GS
D2 2005 Td5 - gone and not missed
FL1 2005 Td4 - gone and missed

Post #221932 12th Apr 2014 10:40 am
ad210358

England 

Can't see it being the trailer brakes, reversing a few yards or so won't make them hot enough to smell. Suspect its a really hot engine with very hot gearbox.

Post #221934 12th Apr 2014 11:10 am
wurzel153

Caravans only 2 months old. Its def a car issue as my previous manual was fine. I have just tried reversing without the caravan and its still struggling, pretty sure its the poxxy electronic hand brake, its seems to release properly forwards but not in reverse. Will book it in with dealer and report back.

Post #221936 12th Apr 2014 11:47 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

You don't actually need a handbrake with an auto. Try the same trick with the handbrake off and see if you have the same problem. I agree that the handbrake seems the most likely cause. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #221955 12th Apr 2014 2:47 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

A silly question, but are you trying to move with the drivers door open? The hand brake will not release with the door open.

But you force the car to move against the handbrake.

As for issues with Auto's and towing. There isn't any. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #221958 12th Apr 2014 3:45 pm
wurzel153

Im pretty sure my door was closed but my wife jumped out to direct me so hers could have been left slightly ajar. Would the hand brake remain on if the passenger door was ajar. If so you may have hit the nail on the head.

I took the car for a drive today and its working ok. I will be moving the caravan again tomorrow so will see what happens.

Post #221969 12th Apr 2014 4:56 pm
steve t

United Kingdom 

You say it was on grass, Are you sure it wasn't TC kicking in, loose traction on one side of the axle the TC apply the brakes on that wheel to send the drive over to the other wheel and so on.
I would say if you were unaware of it you would have been pushing a caravan up hill with your brakes on, Just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #221975 12th Apr 2014 7:12 pm
wurzel153

Pretty sure it was'nt tc kicking in, i was not asking much of the car.

Further to the comments about the handbrake not releasing if the door was open I have just checked the manual and it says that if your seat belt is off it will not release also. As I never wear my seatbelt when reversing I am quite sure that is the problem.

Post #221978 12th Apr 2014 8:30 pm
Orwelian

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

The answer might be to stop the vehicle with the gearbox in P ..like you have to, without setting the handbrake, start the engine, put into reverse and away away you go, handbrake shouldn't be on. I have the 14MY SD4 and when I park in my garage I don't set the electric handbrake, when I reverse out without seatbelt on I have definately got no hand brake on. 2014 Loire Blue. SD4 GS, Almond interior & Privacy Glass
Gone 57 plate Rimini red TD4 GS
Gone 55 plate silver FR1 TD4

Post #221981 12th Apr 2014 8:42 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have checked, and the handbrake doesn't release with any door open. So this could have been it.

The door only has to be unlatched and it will prevent the hand brake coming off. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #221988 12th Apr 2014 10:20 pm
EYorkshire

When you get time could you check again Mav, I know what it says in the owner manual but mine is different Confused

As you know you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to manually release the handbrake or just press the accelerator pedal for automatic release.
It makes no difference at all to mine if one or all doors are open as I can press the accelerator and it will happily release and drive away, also without the belt buckled Confused

Post #222009 13th Apr 2014 8:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>