Home > General > New fl2 towbar wiring question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wurzel153

2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
New fl2 towbar wiring question

Hello.
Q1. I have a new hse lux with land rover towbar and 13 pin wiring fitted. When i have my bike rack attached it disables both front and rear parking sensors, my last fl2 would only disable the rear so have the dealer made a bobo when programming. The parking sensor button on the dash will not activate the sensors either when rack is connected.

Q2. Also when my bike rack is connected the throttle seems quite unresponsive as if it thinks i am trying to tow a caravan. Feels like the mapping has changed unnecessarily. I understand the autobox will adapt when towing but surely it knows i dont have a caravan behind me.

Post #221507 7th Apr 2014 7:52 am
ad210358

England 

Q1. I expect that the parking sensors are now operating through one module and not two as previously. This is also happening with the MY13 RRS and Discovery 4's, not clever I admit, especially as this is not mentioned on the Handbooks that the fronts will no longer work. So much for progress Rolling Eyes

Q2. Seems the opposite is happening, it has been said before that the plugging in of the Light Board or Trailer, changes the shift pattern to higher revs, Sport Mode.

Post #221509 7th Apr 2014 9:04 am
wurzel153

Thanks for the info. I will check with dealer and see what they say.

Post #221512 7th Apr 2014 9:26 am
ad210358

England 

Tried the same, get the Tech to check the wiring diagram, I know of an owner who took his RRS to the Dealer who stripped the bumpers off, had it for three days before they checked the wiring diagram, only to find the one module.

Post #221513 7th Apr 2014 9:32 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Your ID logo shows you as driving manual box car so there is nothing changed on the gears as its down to you. I really wouldn't have expected the engine mapping to be changed, perhaps somebody else can clarify?
Re the parking sensors, I wonder if its worth you speaking with Mike at Landrover to see if you car could have the old type black seven pin wired socket fitted AS WELL AS the 13 pin and have that wired with the old type canbus error free 'bypass relay' That would leave you for the bike rack with full rear fog and reverse lights and the park sensors ie as per normal AND allow caravan towing with the 13 pin if needed. Ie have tandem systems installed.
What the effect would be on warranty would need to be clarified with Mike.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #221516 7th Apr 2014 10:19 am
EYorkshire

I agree with 'ad' regarding the switch from two parking modules in earlier cars to a combined one module in the newer ones.

Looks like you have an SD4 auto but your profile is set up wrong showing a manual box.

Post #221517 7th Apr 2014 11:18 am
wurzel153

Yep, apologies, profile wrong. I have an my14 sd4 auto hse lux. Previous fl2 was a manual.

Post #221521 7th Apr 2014 12:41 pm
wurzel153

Dealer has just called me back. They say when anything is plugged in, be it a bike rack or caravan it cancels out both front and rear parking sensors completely. All due to the new updated wiring and single module as mentioned. 'A nice step backwards' This also means that if a fault develops on the rear sensors it turns off the front and vice versa.

Re the possible change in mapping when bike rack attached, dealer states this should not change at all and if I notice this again then the car will need to go in for a check.

Post #221523 7th Apr 2014 12:57 pm
EYorkshire

If you think about it, the car hasn't a clue what is plugged into it, only that something has and so will monitor the ECU sensors.

So the 'TMC' (transmission module) will alter its gear settings only by increased resistance from the engine, this will be taken from sensors for torque and speed then 'Uphill and Trailer' mode will come into play and change to new gearbox mapping, if for instance you have a caravan on the back.

Obviously with a cycle rack this should not happen.

Post #221524 7th Apr 2014 1:11 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Not entirely a step backwards. It's been pointed out in another thread that the "plug and play" aspect makes the fitting of a towbar much cheaper. Although apparently some dealers are still charging the old price, which included updating the software.

Post #221607 8th Apr 2014 3:59 pm
wurzel153

It is a complete step backwards, parking sensors are for making parking easier. When i put my bike rack on i need to park the car further into a space as the vehicle is now longer. So i have paid for parking sensors that do not aid parking. 'Well done land rover'.

Post #221620 8th Apr 2014 5:37 pm
si.

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

But if you plugged a trailer or caravan in, you wouldn't want the sensors beeping every time you reversed. Laughing

As for the performance, mine doesn't change when something is plugged in.

Post #221637 8th Apr 2014 7:44 pm
ad210358

England 

wurzel153 wrote:
It is a complete step backwards, parking sensors are for making parking easier. When i put my bike rack on i need to park the car further into a space as the vehicle is now longer. So i have paid for parking sensors that do not aid parking. 'Well done land rover'.

Think your expecting a little to much, I don't know of any manufacturer that has Parking Sensors that will correctly allow for the extra length of the vehicle when a Cycle Rack is added.

Post #221640 8th Apr 2014 8:03 pm
wurzel153

Si, it's the fronts that are not working. I know on my my11 the rears used to be disabled when connecting a caravan but on the my14 it disables fronts and rear. I don't want the front sensors disabled.

The dealer has mentioned that they have had complaints from range rover owners with the same issue and that It is something that will not be rectified as it makes diagnosing faults easier for land rover. (Nothing like customers first).

Post #221641 8th Apr 2014 8:05 pm
wurzel153

Think your expecting a little to much, I don't know of any manufacturer that has Parking Sensors that will correctly allow for the extra length of the vehicle when a Cycle Rack is added.[/quote]

That's not my point. I would just like the front sensors to work the same as my old my11.

Post #221643 8th Apr 2014 8:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>