Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

Quote:

What am I missing??

About 3 bikes by the look of it Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18972 30th Apr 2008 10:26 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

mburton2 wrote:
Hi all....I'm struggling to understand what the issue is with the FL2 Roofbars/Box's....can someone explain the issue?

I had the dealer-fit roof-rails fitted on mine before I collected...Now I just use my old Roof box (From my Old 01MY "FL1", permanently fitted to a pair of Thule cross-bars) ....or my £10 Cross-bars (Shhhh...From Lidl a few years back) if I want to strap something to the roof...In this Pic you can just work out the £10 bars fitted (These Cross bars DO produce alot of wind noise, but with just the roof-rails, I dont notice any wind noise)

What am I missing??

What are you missing Question Well of course it’s all a matter of price, appearance, taste and wind noise.

I have had rails and bars on my last car (BMW-touring), and considered having the LR rails fitted to the FL2. However, personally I didn’t like the appearance and think they look too high (compared with the BMW) and I was also concerned about the permanent crossbar causing wind noise. After I tried a similar FL2 with moon-roof and rails, this confirmed my suspicions as I felt it was too noisy as I drive most of the time with the roof open (except in the Norwegian winter).

However my decision was made up for me when I comparing the price of the LR-original rails+bars against a set of Thule bars and feet. Although the Thule alternative does not look very attractive when fitted to the FL2, it is much cheaper and the whole system can be easily removed when not in use. As I only need roof carrying mostly in winter for skis, it was an easy decision for me.

For carrying the bikes I use a Thule bike rack on the tow bar, as any thoughts of putting them on the roof was right out (much too high), as I did on the BMW.

So as I said, it’s a matter of personal choice and price, but anybody needing to carry stuff on the roof the whole year round then probably the LR rails are the best alternative. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18974 30th Apr 2008 11:08 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

[quote="npinks"]

Quote:
About 3 bikes by the look of it Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Laughing OK, very funny lol '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #18988 30th Apr 2008 1:04 pm
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

AndyC wrote:

What are you missing Question Well of course it’s all a matter of price, appearance, taste and wind noise.

I have had rails and bars on my last car (BMW-touring), and considered having the LR rails fitted to the FL2. However, personally I didn’t like the appearance and think they look too high (compared with the BMW) and I was also concerned about the permanent crossbar causing wind noise. After I tried a similar FL2 with moon-roof and rails, this confirmed my suspicions as I felt it was too noisy as I drive most of the time with the roof open (except in the Norwegian winter).

However my decision was made up for me when I comparing the price of the LR-original rails+bars against a set of Thule bars and feet. Although the Thule alternative does not look very attractive when fitted to the FL2, it is much cheaper and the whole system can be easily removed when not in use. As I only need roof carrying mostly in winter for skis, it was an easy decision for me.

For carrying the bikes I use a Thule bike rack on the tow bar, as any thoughts of putting them on the roof was right out (much too high), as I did on the BMW.

So as I said, it’s a matter of personal choice and price, but anybody needing to carry stuff on the roof the whole year round then probably the LR rails are the best alternative.

OK, Some fair points.....I thought the LR rails were reasonable at £150 supplied & fitted...have they gone up alot since ?

Can you point me towards a picture of the Thule mount-feet you refere to?

Although I agree the LR cross bars did seem expensive (Although I now dont remember how much they were), but as I had a couple of sets from my old motor, that wasnt an issue.

I knew I would be needing to plonk stuff on the roof fairly often, and as I only have one vehicle to meet my needs, most things are a compromise....so yes, I had the rails fitted.

It also gives me a base for mounting a shooting platform on (Ok, I only rest my elbows on it, but it stops me scratching the roof!), whilst standing on my "Dodgy looking steps" (See gallery)....not pleaseing on the eye, but functional

I only have one permanent cross-bar, at the rear....never noticed any noise from it....I DONT have a moon-roof, maybe there is some interaction here?

Being a "normal" size bloke, the thought of trying to push a bike onto the roof didnt appeal either, hence the tow-bar mounted rack....again, not pleasing on the eye, but functional '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #18993 30th Apr 2008 1:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The LR roofbars are £175-190'ish Plus fitting plus the cost of the cross bars at £125'ish

I went the Thule removable ones to carry the wood i bought them for £105 delivered

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18996 30th Apr 2008 1:40 pm
AndyC

Can you point me towards a picture of the Thule mount-feet you refere to?

https://www.freel2.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10507 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #18997 30th Apr 2008 1:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

On the wind noise side

My SE with sunroof and no LR roof bars has wind noise, nothing excessive but noticable when i had a GS loaner the other month that did not have a sunroof or bars.

When the Thules bars are put on there is a whistle, but that goes when i get used to it in 10 miles or so Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #18998 30th Apr 2008 1:45 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Has anyone got a piccy with the Thule feet and Thule Aero bars (i.e. no rails)?

I can only find the square bars in the gallery.

Thanks.

Post #19020 30th Apr 2008 5:04 pm
AndyC

boiledgnat wrote:

Thanks.

The Thule catalogue shows this combination, but unfortunatly not on a LR. Maybe this helps Question 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #19023 30th Apr 2008 5:56 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I was really wanting to see them fitted to a FL2. I'm tempted to go down the rails with the LR cross bars, but the various posts about increased noise with the rails (due to the permanent cross bar) worry me slightly. If I went the Thule route, I'd want aero bars, but would prefer to see what they look like first.

Ho hum - back to the web search Crying or Very sad

Post #19077 1st May 2008 1:50 pm
AndyC

boiledgnat wrote:
I was really wanting to see them fitted to a FL2. I'm tempted to go down the rails with the LR cross bars, but the various posts about increased noise with the rails (due to the permanent cross bar) worry me slightly. If I went the Thule route, I'd want aero bars, but would prefer to see what they look like first.

Ho hum - back to the web search Crying or Very sad

If you look at the pics npinks has posted, it is not too difficult to imagine the bars being silver and oval in shape instead of the black square ones in the photos. That will be the only differance Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #19085 1st May 2008 3:02 pm
Grimbo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi Jeremy,
I have the LR roof rails, cross bars and roof box. Unfortunately I don't have a photograph of them on my car,only this one of the roof rails.
The LR cross bars are very easy to install / remove and with very little wind noise when fitted in situ.
The roof box is good quality and everything inside it stayed dry when I used it last time in heavy rain.
Hope this info is of some help to you.

Post #19089 1st May 2008 3:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Don't Thule aero bars have a very slight curve to them as well as been Oval shaped? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #19091 1st May 2008 4:12 pm
muddywheels

England 

npinks wrote:
Don't Thule aero bars have a very slight curve to them as well as been Oval shaped?

Yes the Thule aero bars are slightly curved Thumbs Up

Post #19112 1st May 2008 9:54 pm
muddywheels

England 

boiledgnat wrote:

Thanks.

I can put them on and post pics Friday or Saturday if nobody does it before then but I have Roof Rails Thumbs Up

Post #19113 1st May 2008 9:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>