« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nankang tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Nankang tyres

Just looking at getting a set of tyres for my FL as they are down to around 3mm. The car is mainly used daily for trips of up to 7 miles each way as a glorified dog kennel with the odd long run of up to 25 miles a couple of times a month. I see on Camskill tyres they are doing Nankang tyres for £87 each. http://www.camskill.co.uk/m65b0s253p117634...se%3A_72dB

The thing is, the spec for the tyre (wet grip, fuel economy and noise) is equal to or in some cases better than many other makes (Pirelli Scorpion Verde @ £148) so is it just a case of people paying for a 'brand' name with a fancy looking tread pattern? I can't see what else you could judge them on - or am I talking utter Censored ? Mr. Green Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #219757 17th Mar 2014 5:55 pm
alex_pescaru

Very pleased of my winter tires.
Guess which producer... Nankang.

History going back to 1940 and even making airplanes tires...
For sure they know their ways around tires.
http://www.nankang-tyre.com/home.php?fn=eng/about&no=3

Post #219759 17th Mar 2014 6:03 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Are these the budget brand of yokahama?

Mark

Post #219779 17th Mar 2014 9:43 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Got Nankangs on my Audi TT been a great tyre in all conditions. good budget tyre Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #219780 17th Mar 2014 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

don't believe in putting budget tyres on a 30K car.

also can't believe someone would pay £400 for a service and stick on budget tyres !!

Iain

Post #219800 18th Mar 2014 9:31 am
EYorkshire

Although I have always stuck to premium brands, if you compare the 'Nankangs' to them they are ticking all the right boxes. Fuel efficiency, noise etc is up there with some of the best so to me they are not so much a budget tyre but a good tyre that is being sold at a more realistic price.

If they last as long as the so called premium tyres then even better.

Post #219802 18th Mar 2014 9:48 am
Hoges4870

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I have those same tyres on mine, were on it when I bought it 3 weeks ago and look brand new. I don't have any complaints, they are quiet, seem to grip well in the wet and dry, and didn't have any issues on driving on an unsealed road for ~15km with them. Don't really have anything to compare them to though as this is my first FL2, and as I said, only had her for a few weeks.

Post #219803 18th Mar 2014 10:03 am
english yeoman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

From reading all about these on my previous car's forum (Alfa 159 - lovely car looks good drives well, trim falls off) the Nangkanks got nothing but excellent reports - from what I recall these are amongst the mid range / premium brands in the east and in Europe they're only priced so competitively to attempt to break into the market.

Never heard a bad word about them but then again, I've also never (yet) had them on the car - wouldn't hesitate to try them though...

Post #219813 18th Mar 2014 11:17 am
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

These were on my freely when I bought it, I was dubious as to there quality but during the summer and over the winter we have had so far I have been impressed with them they have low road noise grip well in the wet and dry and take a hit of pot holes well and the ride is good. I have done some long trips on them wirral to leeds regularly and wirral to south wales no issues what so ever.

I recon I am due to change them come the summer and would buy them again with out question but I will be getting some General Grabber AT's Due to some of the places I end up and end up parking while I am out Hiking or out walking the dog, The NanKang are a Road tyre and are not to hot on wet or muddy grass.

Otherwise like I say I would have them on the car again HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #219815 18th Mar 2014 11:42 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

iain cooper wrote:
don't believe in putting budget tyres on a 30K car.

also can't believe someone would pay £400 for a service and stick on budget tyres !!

Iain

Neither can I but in my case, its a 2008 runabout that doesn't do more than 6/7000 miles per year, mostly small local runs too. As I said earlier, they are black, round, made of rubber and have the same performance as so-called 'premium' brands. If you were given the tyre performance data of Nankang and Pirelli tyres but NOT the brand name in a blind test and told that one of those is £60 cheaper than the other, who on here would chose the more expensive tyre? (the cheaper one also has a higher load rating).

As I run a motor vehicle training centre I also do all my own servicing and repairs. A year ago when I first bought it I carried out a big service (oil, air, fuel, cabin filters etc) using genuine LR parts from a main dealer and I think it cost me around £80. This year a standard service is going to cost me about a tenner plus oil. I'd love to get £400 for doing one of those services! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #219816 18th Mar 2014 12:06 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

point taken Steve, and now I think about it I suppose that's what mine is now !!

I'm also going to service it this year myself.

Iain

Post #219844 18th Mar 2014 3:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1