Home > Events > DISCO3/Freel2/RRSPORT - Private Off-Road Day - June 8th
(0) 20 spaces left. 
User Registered Confirmed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Rev

Canada 

if the wings and rockets I ordered for my LR2 come in soon I'll be there! Thumbs Up Coming soon: LR2 HSE; Alaska White; Nav; Premium Sound; Bluetooth; Lighting Package

Post #20985 26th May 2008 9:48 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

We have 26 signed up for the off-road day next Sunday so should be a cracker of a day!!

2 x RRSPORT
3 x Freel2
21 x Disco3

Raining heavily here today and is forecast on and off all week so the site will be muddy Very Happy

Is everyone OK with the arrangements?

Any last minute sign-ups????

Post #21364 1st Jun 2008 11:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

so theres 3 Freelander 2's

thats me and Avtur, but who am i missing? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21365 1st Jun 2008 11:41 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Avtur with his OCD probably signed up twice Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #21368 1st Jun 2008 12:02 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

AlexG, just got his this month too Thumbs Up

Post #21369 1st Jun 2008 12:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

What do i need to bring?

I presume with the mud, the tracks will be ok on road tyres?

Bringing some food and drink, water proof coat, camera, camcorder etc

Planning on my Gore-tex walking shoes rather than welly boots Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21370 1st Jun 2008 12:22 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Yes to all the above Wink

Post #21371 1st Jun 2008 12:35 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

UKdave104 wrote:
Avtur with his OCD probably signed up twice Laughing

yes, but no, but yes, but no, but yes ....... no it wasn't me!! excuse me I have to go check the car is locked Thumbs Up

Post #21376 1st Jun 2008 2:11 pm
avtur

npinks wrote:
What do i need to bring?

I presume with the mud, the tracks will be ok on road tyres?

Bringing some food and drink, water proof coat, camera, camcorder etc

Planning on my Gore-tex walking shoes rather than welly boots

That sounds good, driving in wellys isn't the best for precise footwork on the pedals!

If you've not got rubber floor mats you might want to think about that, also seat covers, I tend to keep HD covers on mine all the time.

Post #21377 1st Jun 2008 2:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have thought about the rubber mats, but i haven't a seat cover

I'll have to look at halfrauds or something Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21379 1st Jun 2008 2:17 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

We expect some dirty pictures Thumbs Up (Of the FL2 that is Rolling with laughter )
Have fun FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21388 1st Jun 2008 4:24 pm
avtur

npinks wrote:
i have thought about the rubber mats, but i haven't a seat cover

I'll have to look at halfrauds or something

mine are from Tesco ....£5 pair !!!

Post #21421 1st Jun 2008 10:19 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

trip the Tesco it is then Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #21422 1st Jun 2008 10:21 pm
CY

Scotland 
Photography at Tong

Make sure you've all got fully charged up cameras with lots of memory space. Super photographic opportunities in a beautiful area. Seeing so many of the same sorts of vehicle, but in such a range of different colour and spec, makes for a great picture.

I'm not a pro. but I'm bringing down the my DSLR with the standard lens and an additional zoom lens, along with a tripod and perhaps a unipod. I'll be with Andy so dotted about the place capturing all the day's events - there'll be no escaping the pictures Whistle

A few more tips on photography on the day (again I'm no pro. but hopefully can advise)....

1) If you want to get some effective shots of your car 'off-road' then give it a good wash before hand. Sounds silly, but if you've got an aesthetically shiny car with splatters of fresh, brown mud down the side it really emphasises the off-road conditions and the dirt. A shiny car with splatters of mud comes out much better than a greasy and grimey car which is already smeared in motorway cack. For example, I took this one of TazDaz's last time...

2) Get down low.... Photos looking upwards at the car emphasise the presence of the vehicle and the terrain it's on. The bottom areas of the car is also usually where you'll find the most dirt and mud.

3)
Rule of thirds.... If you're photographing, for example, the car with some hills and scenery behind it - don't have the car centrally positioned within the image. It loses interest and isn't as pleasing on the eye. Have the car position one third of the way into the frame (this applies both laterally and vertically), with the other 2 thirds showing the background happenings or anything else.

For example... in the below picture the object is the road. The picture would look dull if the road was centrally but more interest is aroused through having it one third of the way into the frame...

4) If you're taking a photo from inside the car, get the camera as close as you can to the glass. Cup your hands (if you can) around the edges of the lens. This way glare and reflection will be significantly reduced. Make sure your flash if off too when shooting through glass.

5)
Be creative.... Don't just decide on an object and point and shoot. If you see something worth taking a picture of (for example in this case, a group of 'newbies' huddled round the top of a drop being taught how to drive it) don't just take a plain photo of the group - it wont be interesting to look at. I took a photo of a D3 with the group clearly standing together in front of the vehicle but in the background. It makes it more interesting to look at. Remember photography is all about how it pleases the eye. It brings both aspects of the day - the people are the cars - into the one frame rather than just the people or the cars.

6) Use your bonnet.... Land Rovers all have the trademark clamshell bonnet. It's big and square and protrudes laterally from the front of the vehicle. This makes a perfect frame and brings a personal feel to the photo - it involves you in the picture and shows you were inside and this was happening to you. It makes you feel part of the action when you look at it. The event is all about Land Rovers - include them in your photography. If you're negotiating an area of terrain - don't just photograph the ground but include the bonnet to show your LR tackling it. It adds another level to the image.

Click image to enlarge

7) Some areas of the woods are quite enclosed and sheltered. Depending on the conditions next week it could get quite dark in some places. Putting on the flash can work but often kills the photo (garish reflections of the regestration plate, lights and repeaters but everything else shadowed out, for example). Most digital cameras allow you to adjust the ISO. A higher ISO setting means that less light is needed to capture the image. Increase your ISO if necessary in dark areas, but remember to reduce it (or put it back to 'Auto' when back out in the bright as higher ISO can increase noise (small dots) interfering on the photo.

I feel bad in that I shouldn't really be giving these tips because I'm not a professional photographer and I'm certainly not qualified to teach people - I'm just keen and reckon these are a few things which can help capture better images off-road so thought I'd share them. "CY from DISCO3"

Discovery 3 TDV6 SE

Post #21424 1st Jun 2008 11:52 pm
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Nice photos Thumbs Up
Some time ago a friend of mine who is professional did give me the tip nr 3 FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #21426 2nd Jun 2008 6:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 11 <123 45 ... 91011>